Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.
AVENGERS!
  • If you give a show an hour of your time and you don't really like it, I think it's perfectly reasonable to call it quits.
  • Yeah, the team action doesn't start until episode 6. It's possible to skip the first 5 episodes, except they set-up important plot elements that pay off later in the series, especially the episodes involving Thor and Captain America.

Personally, I thought the way they handled Captain America's origin was brilliant: it's told with old news reels and time-travel as Kang the Conquerer investigates a time paradox that is tearing his world apart.
  • Yeah, the team action doesn't start until episode 6. It's possible to skip the first 5 episodes, except they set-up important plot elements that pay off later in the series, especially the episodes involving Thor and Captain America.

Personally, I thought the way they handled Captain America's origin was brilliant: it's told with old news reels and time-travel as Kang the Conquerer investigates a time paradox that is tearing his world apart.

Spoiler:
    It also sets up important events for the second season
  • Checking the wikipedia I see that I watched up to half of episode 5 and I remember just feeling like I wasted my time trying to watch the show. It just seems crazy to me to have that long of a prelude for a show.
  • You are right. I would have bailed when you did to if I wasn't sick. I was dazed with the flu and shotgunned the entire season without sleeping...
  • While not as dynamic as some of the other story arcs, I didn't find the origin stories boring. But "boring" is a pretty subjective thing.
  • You might try watching the origins episodes as the Micro series. Before the series started on Disney XD Marvel chopped up those origin episodes into 5 and a half minute chunks that cycled through the stories, and put that online. I'm not sure if that is the intended way to watch it or not, but I watched it that way and I liked it that way because it didn't feel like I was restarting the show with each episode.
  • furyk said:

This is such a BS response but you have to give the show at least six episodes before it gets going.

I think I've heard this one before...
  • It is a B.S. excuse, but then again, you're talking to the guy who was jazzed on GaoGaiGar from episode 1, and even the super-fans of that show generally recommend skipping the earlier episodes...
  • I've also found what I saw of Avengers to be pretty dull. Too action focused for me. But I may give it a second chance after all the hype it gets here.
  • That kind of comment leaves me scratching my head. Action is the lifeblood of the animation medium. What are you expecting from a cartoon about costumed super-heroes? Wuthering Heights?
  • That kind of comment leaves me scratching my head. Action is the lifeblood of the animation medium. What are you expecting from a cartoon about costumed super-heroes? Wuthering Heights?

Yeah, it's odd. I typically love the DCAU cartoons, especially Justice League. But that's more for stuff like the ensemble humour, as well as the wide-ranging event plotlines like Cadmus, and the focus on villains motivation. There's action in there, some of it great, but its really not what draws me in. What I saw of Avenger seemed much, much more action focused, and the choreography of that action was pretty dull for me.
  • kaazuwulf said:

You mean the movie between the one film where Superman and Batman teamed up to punch guys and the anthology where the Green Lanterns punch guys?
  • IAmZim, have you listened to my podcast where Sean and I go into detail on what we like about the series? How they handle the villains is a pretty big part of what we enjoyed about Season 1. Here's the link if you haven't heard it already. If this doesn't sound like your thing, I respect that, but I honestly feel that EMH is one of the first Marvel cartoons to capture the same level of quality as many of the DCAU cartoons.
  • IAmZim, have you listened to my podcast where Sean and I go into detail on what we like about the series? How they handle the villains is a pretty big part of what we enjoyed about Season 1. Here's the link if you haven't heard it already. If this doesn't sound like your thing, I respect that, but I honestly feel that EMH is one of the first Marvel cartoons to capture the same level of quality as many of the DCAU cartoons.

It helps that it strikes a similar tone as well. Spectacular Spider-man and Wolverine and the X-Men were both pretty awesome, too.
  • Good movie, that ending after the credits was totally worth it.

I did. Everything people say about this show makes it seem like something I should love, so I'll give it a second chance this summer. I'll probably write what I think of it on this forum.
  • I'm going through it at the moment. Not only do my original thoughts still stand, they have actually gotten worse.
  • My only problem with the current Skrull Invasion story-line is
    Spoiler:
    that everybody is a no good, low down, dirty stinkin' Skrull.
  • Spoiler:
    They have only confirmed 2 people as skrulls though, and one of them isn't even an avenger.

• Spoiler:
    Three, actually. Sue Richards, Cap, and Mockingbird have all been replaced so far.
  • Spoiler:
    Mockingbird was replaced? I have no memory of this. I need to re-watch some season 1 now.

• I wish Disney XD would hurry up and start airing the new series in the UK. Getting sick of repeats.
  • Are you guys watching this online somewhere? If so...where?
  • Disney is quick when it comes to youtube. I would try to record it if I were you.
    Also,
    Spoiler:
    Mockingbird shows herself as a Skrul on the latest episode. When did the Skruls replace Sue Richards? By the way the Skrul that replaced Captain America could have fooled me is I didn't know better. Damn!
  • Another really good episode.

Spoiler:
    I liked that Hulk was the first one to jump to Hawkeye's defense.

• Skrulls EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
  • I love it when we get a cosmic/fantasy episode :D
  • DG where did you get that picture?
  • I don't remember anymorr.
  • As much as I love Beta Ray Bill, I felt that this week's episode was a bit too Thor-centric for my tastes. Splitting the party can present dramatic difficulties.
  • Given how little screen time Thor has gotten so far this season, I'm fine with it. Also loved both Beta Ray Bill and Space Battleship Yamato, err... I mean Scuttlebutt.
  • I finished the first season a few days ago. Those first 5 character introduction episodes and the pilot are just terrible, but after that the show does pick up. My major problem with it is that it's just trying to do way too much. They threw too many villains and too many characters into the mix. I think they should have just focused on the team and had just one of the bad guys be the main antagonist for the season. After finishing it, I just don't have a desire to continue watching it into the second season.
  • http://youtu.be/EhjiaonHonE - As much as I love Beta Ray Bill, I can't help but laugh when he says his own name.
  • kaazuwulf said:

Given how little screen time Thor has gotten so far this season, I'm fine with it. Also loved both Beta Ray Bill and Space Battleship Yamato, err... I mean Scuttlebutt.

I am glad I am not the only one that thought about the Yamato while watching today's episode.
    Also, Sif is a bad-ass!

• Not a huge fan of Thor-centric episodes either, but I enjoyed this one probably the most.
  • I'm skipping this Thor episode, personally. I love Thor in the comics, but in EMH the speech patterns and everything grate on me terribley.

Well I'm really enjoying this season, and think the introduction of SWORD so quickly was also pretty cool. They're clearly doing the "ultimate" thing and pulling all of the Greatest Hits bits of the Marvel universe into something everyone can still watch. We got some good Kang stuff in the first season, now we've got what I think is an excellent little Kree/Skrull war season.

Plus, BONUS, we get to Fury and his "Secret Warriors" which was a bloody fantastic book. We've only seen Quake so far, but I can only expect the others to show up soon enough if we're gonna be getting all Skrully.
  • So, I just found out that there is also a Spanish dub of The Avengers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMqlVTRyqA

Just wanted to let you guys know that I prefer the English opening better.
    Also, I have heard that this might be the final season, from some sources on the internet (according to them is because they want to unify the Marvel Universe in the same lines of Ultimate Spider-Man). If it is true, it sucks so much! I like Ultimate Spider-Man but The Avengers are infinitely better!
  • I'd much rather Ultimate Spider-Man be aborted and made more in line with Avengers. EMH has established the FF, SHIELD, SWORD, The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Kree and the Skrulls. If they throw some X-Men in and bring Spider-Man over then we've got a unified Marvel animated canon. They'd be mad to ditch it, unless it's just us older folks watching it.
  • So there's a month long break in the United States, but they've aired five episodes in Australia so all of those are up online at the moment.
  • Rhoe said:

I'd much rather Ultimate Spider-Man be aborted and made more in line with Avengers. EMH has established the FF, SHIELD, SWORD, The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Kree and the Skrulls. If they throw some X-Men in and bring Spider-Man over then we've got a unified Marvel animated canon. They'd be mad to ditch it, unless it's just us older folks watching it.

This is Jeph Loeb we're talking about remember, then again who in there right mind at Marvel thought he'd be a good choice to head there TV department after the terrible reviews for Avengers 3 and Ultimatium. Maybe they should take this as a hint:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marveltv/news/?a=59894

Edit:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marveltv/news/?a=61109

Fuck.

• They need to let the television people make television. Comic book people can make suggestions and point out stories to adapt, but most of the time they have no idea how to tell a coherent story in that medium. It just seemed like the comic people had way too much of a say in the new Ultimate Spiderman series.

Jeph Loeb gets props for Teen Wolf and Commando, but I don't think I've ever seen him work on a television show I enjoyed.
  • Rhoe said:

I'd much rather Ultimate Spider-Man be aborted and made more in line with Avengers. EMH has established the FF, SHIELD, SWORD, The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Kree and the Skrulls. If they throw some X-Men in and bring Spider-Man over then we've got a unified Marvel animated canon. They'd be mad to ditch it, unless it's just us older folks watching it.

This is Jeph Loeb we're talking about remember, then again who in there right mind at Marvel thought he'd be a good choice to head there TV department after the terrible reviews for Avengers 3 and Ultimatium. Maybe they should take this as a hint:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marveltv/news/?a=59894

Edit:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/marveltv/news/?a=61109

Fuck.

My only wish is that they end the series without a cliffhanger, and that the people at Marvel keep 99.9% of the people from Avengers:EMH for the new Avenger's Assemble show.
  • As stupid as this sounds I was hoping if we did get a 3rd season I'd love to see them do something with Next Avengers like say a time travel episode. Chris Yost who one of the writers on EMH wrote the NA movie.
  • Article said:

Asked if Avengers Assemble might skew older, Loeb replies, "No, but it will certainly have that kind of gigantic action and interacting among the characters and their voices that the movie has."

but but but EMH already does all of this better then The Avengers movie.
  • It makes me laugh that Loeb is pushing for the Marvel shows to be more like Ultimate considering many blame him for ruining Ultimate Marvel in comic book form.
  • This show get Doctor Doom so right.