User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.

2012 Conventions

Comments

• You're welcome to come out, for sure. Anybody who plans to show up, just drop me an email and we'll exchange telephone numbers. My email address should display publicly in my forum user profile. We can grab a bite of food and/or a drink, hit the con, etc. Let's work together to make Ohio halfway relevant to a subset of human civilization for two and a half days!
  • The only issue would be my zero to very close to zero interest in an animoo convention.
  • That may be problematical. People will be wearing their furry tails. Children under 16 will be having Naruto-inspired sex in the bathroom stalls. Dongjutsu: Summon Condom! (Your spell fizzles.)

Wait, who am I kidding? These kids have never had sex.
  • That may be problematical. People will be wearing their furry tails. People under 36 will be having Naruto-inspired sex in the bathroom stalls. Dongjutsu: Summon Condom! (Your spell fizzles.)

Wait, who am I kidding? These kids have never had sex.

Took the liberty of editing truth into that for you.

• Thanks for keeping the bar for disparagement high, sir. =D
  • I went to MAGFest, and I will definitely will be going to Otakon.
    I was suppose to go to Katsukon but alas I will have my Peruvian vacation during that time :D
  • edited January 2012
    My wife and I are going to be at a local game convention in Morristown, NJ - Dreamation - on the last weekend of February.

http://www.dexposure.com/d2012.html

Though, I don't think it's necessary to say, I feel obliged to note that I will not be LARPing under any circumstances shy of a death threat or offer of a considerable sum of money.
  • Ohayocon was pretty fun. Hung out with Jon and exagenous, both super cool dudes, the Jeff Tatarek Panels where great, and I bough Doomed Megaloplis for $10.
  • Definitely had a good time. Glad you guys could make it out!
  • We need to do the 'A Literary Critical Analysis of the Collected Works of Yoshiaki Kawajiri' panel next year.
  • We will also need to do a Kazuo Koike panel.
  • edited January 2012
    ALSO YOU NEED TO WATCH SOME SHIT apparently. I thought of Venture Bros. and Metalacolypse while I was driving back.
  • I love venture Bros. I'm not really a fan of metal so i don't know how much Metalacolypse will appeal to me.
  • Also next time your down this way I will totally make some baked goods. I need an excuse to make my famous Cinnamon red-bean rolls. This offer extends to anyone on the forums.
  • I'm not a big fan of metal, but find Metalocaplypse pretty funny. There are definitely a lot of references that will be missed if not steeped in the genre, but those are mostly ancillary. So long as you have a base idea of the metal bands/fans stereotype, the show can be enjoyed.
  • I am headed to Otakon and will be dressed as The Dude from The Big Labowski. I also am planning on Magfest and Katsucon
  • Apparently my old WoW guild is having a convention in Florida this year. So I guess I'll do that.
  • I just came back from the exhibit opening at the Smithsonian. Pissed that I missed Kojima, but there was limited seating space.
  • I guess I'm going to Otakon, the real question: do I bring and wear the ChainMail?
  • No to both parts of that question.
  • If you bring it and I go, I'll wear it.
  • I'm pretty sure if you wear chainmail to Otakon, you will die of hyperthermia before getting through the front doors.
  • Isn't Otakon in Baltimore? like, the same Baltimore that The Wire takes place in? Chain mail may not be a bad idea.
  • Actually, chainmail might not be allowed under the weapon ban.
  • Dreg said:

I just came back from the exhibit opening at the Smithsonian. Pissed that I missed Kojima, but there was limited seating space.

Yeah, I figured it would fill up way too fast for me to get a ticket. Also, while I really like his games (sometimes because they're stupid) I'm not sure listening to him talk about transfarring on stage is really my thing.

Are you DC local? I never knew this.
  • edited March 2012
    ^I know that was a joke, but apparently he had some pretty interesting stuff to say; credit where credit is due, Kojima knows his shit, and I've always appreciated his more...expansive, for lack of a better phrase, view of game development when compared to most of the rest of the Japanese gaming industry. Summary with some excerpts here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-kojima-japanese-developers-lack-global-outlook-technological-skills

As to conventions, going to Boston Comic Con next month; as an added bonus I got two free day passes so the only money I'll be spending is on the no doubt shitload of merch I'll be buying. Considered Anime Boston, but then I'd have no money for BCC, and present company and my friends aside, I really don't like anime fans. Obviously you always get obnoxious people at cons, but I'm in no rush to have to deal with it.
  • edited March 2012
    NashiCon is the end of this month in Colombia SC if anyone is going to that, im just going to hit that up on saturday.
  • Dreg said:

I just came back from the exhibit opening at the Smithsonian. Pissed that I missed Kojima, but there was limited seating space.

Yeah, I figured it would fill up way too fast for me to get a ticket. Also, while I really like his games (sometimes because they're stupid) I'm not sure listening to him talk about transfarring on stage is really my thing.

Are you DC local? I never knew this.
    No, I live in New York. I often drive to DC to hang out with my best friend, though, so I spend a decent amount of time there.
  • edited March 2012
    Squirrel said:

Actually, chainmail might not be allowed under the weapon ban.

Why would armor not be allowed under a weapon ban? It's armor, not a weapon.
  • It's metal.
  • You could swing it really hard and hit somebody in the face!
  • I could do that with my fist without body armor, just saying.
  • I could do that with my wang, even without it's armor, just saying.
  • But the chain mail would be attached to your body so there is no way for you to use it as a weapon...Unless you use yourself as a weapon.
    Either way, I do not think it counts.
  • If anyone wants to go to Chicago for ACen I'm going with a group that just got some room openings.
  • I'm going to PaxEaster this weekend. Any other Fast Karateers going?
  • Nah im going to Pax Prime aka Best Pax
  • I will try and do bestpax this year. But I did just finalize travel plans for hope #9 in july so i will have to check on the monies.
  • edited April 2012
    So, we got press coverage for MTAC this year. It was cool, we got to interview Richard Epcar, take tons of pictures, video, hosted two panels, learned from a panel how much we gotta love Bob Sapp. We took a good chunk of stuff, mostly pictures that I'm still working on. Figured I'd share. Here are the first two videos:

• You guys got to talk to the VA of Guld from Macross Plus/ Batou from GitS!!! HOLY SHAT THAT IS AWESOME!!!!

I met up with Spike Spencer at Nashicon and he was cool enough to give me his email address to get him on our show, but I don't know if he will ever respond.
  • I got my GITS season 1 set autographed by Richard Epcar :3 My dream is to get Crispin Freeman, Mary McGlynn, and Steve Blum on there too, but I doubt they'll ever come to Boston.
  • edited April 2012
    The Epcar interview is probably going to be the last thing I upload before the MTAC Podcast on Wednesday, so you can probably expect it Tuesday. Oh, and I did get to ask him about The Legend of Korra.

Today, though, we have one more video. We hosted two panels this year, one on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and one on bad dubs. I'm going to recreate both, but here's the video recreation of "If This is a Panel, Then I'm a Banana - English Dub Power."

We flooded the room. I heard afterwards there were people who couldn't get in because we were over capacity.

Also, here's the first set of pictures.

Symphonic Anime Orchestra Rehearsal
    Symphonic Anime Orchestra Sunday Concert
    Panel Audience Group Shots
    Jason David Frank makes a bunch of nerds exercise
    Cosplay Album 1. We got some good ones this year.

That's it until tomorrow.
  • The Epcar interview is probably going to be the last thing I upload before the MTAC Podcast on Wednesday, so you can probably expect it Tuesday. Oh, and I did get to ask him about The Legend of Korra.

Today, though, we have one more video. We hosted two panels this year, one on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and one on bad dubs. I'm going to recreate both, but here's the video recreation of "If This is a Panel, Then I'm a Banana - English Dub Power."

We flooded the room. I heard afterwards there were people who couldn't get in because we were over capacity.

Also, here's the first set of pictures.

Symphonic Anime Orchestra Rehearsal
    Symphonic Anime Orchestra Sunday Concert
    Panel Audience Group Shots
    Jason David Frank makes a bunch of nerds exercise
    Cosplay Album 1. We got some good ones this year.

That's it until tomorrow.

I know Filloni's busy with The Clone Wars, but will he still contribute stories for the new Avatar series? He's done some of my favorite episodes.
  • edited April 2012
    You'd have to ask him. Richard only told us about his experience acting for the show. Until tomorrow, though.

For now, I lied. I wanted to have JoJo's up now, but there were some file issues, so that may not be until the weekend. For now we have some more pictures.

Cosplay Album 2
    Live Anime Chess

Also, since there wouldn't be a video today otherwise, I bumped up this thing we did for fun.

I may have JoJo's tomorrow, though I'm not sure. I will definitely post the interview.
  • I guess it's technically Wednesday, but I haven't slept yet, so close enough. It's finally time for the big bonus that came with getting to be press: our interview with Richard Epcar.

And that's it, until the JoJo's video is done which I'm not sure when that'll happen and the podcast tomorrow. It was a good convention. Next, to GMX. If we get press for that, I'm hoping for an interview with Billy West.
  • All right, I meant for this to go up in the middle of the week, but we had some internaught problems, so it took until now. Anyway,

It’s time for our MTAC Omega podcast. Sorta. We spend a lot of time talking about Gundam for some reason. But we gave it some due, talked about a handful of panels. There’s a ton of videos under the podcast because of the Engrish Jamboree. Good times. Enjoy.

Crispin Freeman, Get Out of My Bedroom!
  • That Jack Bower song, Oh my Gawd, that Jack Bower song, oh my GAWD!!!!
  • ^^Heh, Noein has some of the best anime bloopers. Great show, too.
  • So pax prime sold out of 3 day passes already. That's awesome I guess?