User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Comments

• said:

The reason to hate MvC, as always, is all the people watching the match. I've never heard more people rejoice in sounding so stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-mF_zNdVnE

Unless you've actually been in that type of atmosphere, you can't necessarily say people are rejoicing in sounding stupid. These type of tournaments breeds hypeness and that match was fun,intense, and hype.
    This type of stuff happens all the time. I've been to Final Round, Nor. Cal regionals, and Winter Brawl before, and its always hype like this.
  • said:

If this years Winter Brawl has proved anything, is that Sentinel can be beat. Justin Wong took out the competition that was full of teams that had Sentinel in it with his team of
    She-Hulk/Ammy/Tron. CRAZINESS!!!

I don't know who that is, but he's probably pretty amazing, seeing as how you know his name. Comparatively, most of the people playing sentinel were probably scrubs. Picking a high tier character doesn't guarantee success, otherwise picking Sagat every time would be a surefire victory. That's why they have all that absurd matrices and math to give the odds of X character beating Y character. Holding up someone at the top of his game beating, for the most part, people who are NOT at the top of their game, isn't an fair way to show people they're bellyaching over nothing.
  • said:

said:

If this years Winter Brawl has proved anything, is that Sentinel can be beat. Justin Wong took out the competition that was full of teams that had Sentinel in it with his team of
    She-Hulk/Ammy/Tron. CRAZINESS!!!

I don't know who that is, but he's probably pretty amazing, seeing as how you know his name. Comparatively, most of the people playing sentinel were probably scrubs. Picking a high tier character doesn't guarantee success, otherwise picking Sagat every time would be a surefire victory. That's why they have all that absurd matrices and math to give the odds of X character beating Y character. Holding up someone at the top of his game beating, for the most part, people who are NOT at the top of their game, isn't an fair way to show people they're bellyaching over nothing.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying they were scrubs. If you know the basics of using Sentinel and know the BnB combos, you're still a viable threat. Plus you're talking on top of those using Sentinel, most people had Phoenix as a backup as well using Sentinel to basically build up meter to Level 5 for Dark Phoenix.
  • General hype aside, Marvel players have a certain reputation among fighting gamers. On the whole, that community has been responsible for more than their fair share of childish drama, bruised egos, trash talking, and pursuant to those things, highest money matches. Combofiend put it succinctly in a RanBat commentary when he said, "And as we all know, the most immature fuckers play that game." I'm not making a statement about anyone here who plays Marvel, that's just the MvC2 zeitgeist from the past decade. It's the difference between liking soccer as a sport, and understanding that soccer fans often riot and destroy cities post-game. This is indeed the game that brought us the wit and wisdom of "Curleh Moustache" Yipes.

I don't know who that is, but he's probably pretty amazing, seeing as how you know his name. Comparatively, most of the people playing sentinel were probably scrubs. Picking a high tier character doesn't guarantee success

Justin Wong is widely thought to be one of the top 3 Capcom fighting game players in the US, and has the tournament record to back it up, generally placing at the top of national tournaments for years and years now. Picking a high tier character doesn't guarantee success, but the inverse is also true: success does not imply that a character is high tier. In SF4, Justin Wong had huge win streaks with Makoto. Japanese player sakonoko has an amazing Cammy. This doesn't mean necessarily that the tier list is meaningless, or that Cammy is top tier, it means that sakonoko is very, very good. Justin Wong is a good enough player to overcome the disadvantage of a tier imbalance, this doesn't tell us a lot about the game balance.
  • said:

Justin Wong is a good enough player to overcome the disadvantage of a tier imbalance, this doesn't tell us a lot about the game balance.

it might not tell us a lot about game balance but at least it shuts up people on this dumb idea that Sentinel can't be beat.
  • Certainly nobody here was harping on that. A character doesn't need to be indefeatable to be unbalanced, and one of the top three players in the country sweeping a tournament full of people who are NOT one of the top three players in the country isn't indicative of the average user experience.
  • said:

Certainly nobody here was harping on that. A character doesn't need to be indefeatable to be unbalanced, and one of the top three players in the country sweeping a tournament full of people who are NOT one of the top three players in the country isn't indicative of the average user experience.

oh no i wasn't saying people here was harping on it. It was more so the fighting game message boards i frequent where people were on that idea of Sentinel being undefeatable. As much as Wong is top 3 in the country, its not like he had a clean sweep in the tournament. Up until he made the finals, his team of Wolverine, Storm, and Akuma was doing pretty good. He had a lot of close matches that could've went either way and it wasn't until that team of his put him in the losers bracket did he bring out She-Hulk, Annie, and Tron.
  • A lot of the MvC2 idiots hate MvC3, even while they are playing the game in tournaments they call it garbage.

I was always more into SF3 instead of MvC2, but I find myself playing MvC3 more than SF4 now.
  • said:

The reason to hate MvC, as always, is all the people watching the match. I've never heard more people rejoice in sounding so stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-mF_zNdVnE

That's just some asshole in the crowd trying to be Yipes.

Here's the better version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR7levSwuyo

Actually if you want Yipes commentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP7amJFF4l8
  • I'm using Hulk and Dorm to fill the Sent roll in my team. They do the job and are a lot less cheap.
  • edited March 2011
  • I fucking can not deal with Spencer at all. I still love the BIONIC ARM though!
  • I bought this game when it came out, and I've really enjoyed it. I really dig the comic book art style. I'm looking forward to seeing if they add any new characters besides Jill and Shuma Gorath. After reading most of the other posts though, I'm afraid I must be doing it wrong....
  • The announcer guy fucking LOVES that bionic arm. BIONIC... ARRRRRRRRRRRM~! ( ゚д゚)
  • edited April 2011
    MvC3 Fight Night at 8 on the Break ends in scuffle after shit talking:

• I wish I still had the patience to play Vs fighters anymore. If Smash Bro's counts then that was the last one I was any good at. But then they messed up my fav character... Peach! Jerks. Her smash ball special was so terrible.
  • I have only been playing this game recently. Played SF4:AE with some friends, and made a few of them as disgusted as I was. For whatever reason, I'm happier losing at MvC3 game while trying to learn it.

Also, I think the MvC3 commentating is starting to hit its stride. The things people shout during Magneto's Gravity Squeeze ("Gravity squeeze! Mwahahaha! You are defeated!") are getting pretty close to Pringles.

At 1:50 - "I LOVE YOU!!!! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY."

Also good are alternate names for Thor's super as "Buy Odin's Beer" and Viewtiful Joe's super as "Let's go, Dick Machine!" (I think it's supposed to be Sex Machine?? Who even knows.)

At any rate, if anyone wants to play my scrubby ass, send me a message on Live.
  • I just got it from Gamefly, so I would be down for a few matches. I don't play fighting games much, so it would be an easy win.
  • For which system? I suck as well. We would be evenly matched.
  • Ok. I'm SolidCeva13. I'll be available to play later tonight.
  • Alright, I'm AngelcopDX. I should be on starting around 6ish. If anyone else wants to join maybe we can get a little tournament action going on.
  • Sorry... I should have said, "much" later... I work 2nd shift and I wont be home until after 10. I'll still pop on to play, but I'll understand if that's too late for everyone else.
  • Damn, must have missed you guys. I'm "Spankminister" so hit me up if you ever see me on.
  • Will do. I should be on tonight after school. 9ish I would say. I'm still trying to get a default team together. I tried Dante out yesterday and he is probably my favorite so far. It felt like his moves flowed together than the other people I tried. Also I liked that his combos change depending on what attack button you use.
  • Iron Fist is a pretty fun addition.
  • also some raccoon dude with a rocket launcher

This will be a shock of shocks, but his name is Rocket Racoon. He's actually a pretty fun character.
  • As soon as I heard "Iron Fist," I was 100% sold. I'm going to have a Ryu/Iron Fist/Mike Haggar team, and it's going to be awesome.
  • Guys, Ant-man is Hawkeye's special. ANT-MAN.
  • Also, Stephen Strange? hell ya! Sadly no Luke Cage or Squirrel Girl.
  • if you want Squirrel Girl you can play BlazBlue.
  • I'm very curious to see how they turn Phoenix Wright into a fighting game character. They gave up on including him in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. Other than the "Objection!" point, he doesn't really have any moves.
  • I see him as conceptually similar to Captain Commando or Strider(?) in that he summons dudes to help him fight with his Level 3 Super being the Judge.
  • So no way to get this without buying a new disc means no sale for me. Is it okay to be officially over fighting games again because of Capcom milking the shit out of their old franchises the same way they did back in the SNES days?
  • I love Mahval and will have to buy the new version. The characters with videos look pretty fun to play, but I don't like the new health bar design.
  • The Joel said:

Iron Fist is a pretty fun addition.

What's his power? Heihachi threw him into a gorge and he had to win the King of Iron Fist tournament?

And I'm with BrokenMagnum, I think Phoenix Wright is just going to summon Franciska and Godot and whatnot. If only Daredevil was in the game (aside from in the background) and you could play Team Lawyer with She-Hulk, Phoenix Wright, and Matt Murdock.
  • Team Lawyer would get me to play that game.
  • I hope Phoenix Wright's Level 3 somehow involves a book being thrown at the opponent.
  • Rocket Raccoon's level 3 had better call in Groot.
  • Railith said:

I love Mahval and will have to buy the new version. The characters with videos look pretty fun to play, but I don't like the new health bar design.

I like the overall look, but it presents a problem in seeing the non-point character's current health.
  • furyk said:

So no way to get this without buying a new disc means no sale for me. Is it okay to be officially over fighting games again because of Capcom milking the shit out of their old franchises the same way they did back in the SNES days?

I was pissed when I saw the announcement for Ultimate MVC3 as well, but then I remembered that Capcom sells it's dlc characters at $5 a pop.... I guess the disc version is a steal now. I'm also not gonna lie... I'm pretty pumped for Iron Fist and Dr Strange.
  • I'm currently playing Chun-li/Wolverine/Dormammu, though the logical team switches out Wolverine for Wesker. It's taken all of my willpower not to play a team with 3 bottom tier characters like I do in every other game.
  • Phoenix Wright confirmed for UMvC3, does not summon a bunch of people to help him, mainly throws shit. Also does not appear that Ben Judd is voicing him.
  • Nova announced as well, and he looks badass, so along with Phoenix being announced with Rocket Raccoon incoming, I am content.
  • Yeah, I think they've finally hit the level of superhero fan service to make me want to at least give this game a shot.
  • I still wish they would put Luke Cage in the game. Everyone loves Luke Cage.
  • Iron Fist will just have to do.
  • @Joel: Hell, superhero fanservice is what's got me excited for this game in the first place; not being a fighting game expert, I come to this purely from a comics nerd standpoint, which I feel may well negatively impact my experience when it comes to online, but whatever, I'll take my chances.