User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Your Friends From The Internet 010: #YWT (…….#WWT?)

HAVE YOUR SICK FILTH I'M TIRED OF DEALING WITH IT

This Week’s Major Skews:
The Mean Bean Machine Of The Republican Party
Graziella’s SUPER SECRET ONE SHOT Time Travel Do-Over Choice
Shock Your Feelings
Dark Souls is… Incandescent Light Bulbs…?

http://daveandjoel.com/?p=7509

Comments

• The podcast cookie salad.
  • This is not my beautiful cookie.
  • It was entertaining to me to listen to you say you don't have to live in the city then proceed to explain why you will never leave the city.

Other places have pieces of all of things that you want but the city is the only place that has the whole package. I get it. But sometimes it is nice to go for a drive to the next town over to find something that isn't always within reach.
  • Yo I said I COULD adapt I just don't WANT to.

I'm just incredibly lazy and don't like going places so anything that reduces resistance to getting to the things I want is preferable.
  • edited May 24
    Yeah I am the exact opposite I need to be as far from the city as possible. I live in a swamp and I have to commute 30 minutes to get to and do anything. At the end of the day the seclusion is worth it. Also the new Dark Souls board game is pretty great. As people who I believed said they liked the Pathfinder Adventure game, you would love the Dark Souls board game. It take a long time to play though. (4 hours for a 2 player game). This is coming from someone who despises the Dark Souls vidjer games.
  • On comedy/big boobs

• I always get the sense that people's weird issues with food are psychological legacies of battles when they were little kids. Some kids don't handle surprise well, so when a taste or texture is unexpected they flip out, and the parent tried to force the issue, and it turned into this thing that's just echoing in them ever since.

So you end up with this weird truce where the kid eats what is basically flour paste because it's all they're willing to put up with; anything else might have a taste or texture that's Not Acceptable. And the parent doesn't want to have a huge fight or put up with the kid complaining about being hungry all day, so they go with it. (It's the White Food thing, where your meals are plain bagels straight from the bag with plain cream cheese squeezed from a packet, or white American cheese on white bread warmed up in the microwave, or plain cheese pizza that will be sent back if there are too many brown burned spots on it).

What makes me think this--as opposed to it being a genuine food-consumption thing where they simply can't handle tastes--is that these people will eat the fuck out of anything that's sweet. Candy no problem, chocolate all day, ice cream yes please and a second helping too.

It's funny--but also infuriating--to watch my niece's bullshit. We're all having steak (rare) and potatoes and salad, and she gets her own special microwaved plain cheese pizza. And she only wants two slices, which are at first "too hot to eat right now", then she takes like three bites and says "it's only crust left". Then she sits for a minute and says "can I have dessert now?" AND SHE FUCKING GETS IT. Big cup of chocolate ice cream. And she's not, like, fat; she does eat lots of fruit, which is good, but again: SWEETS.

I dunno. She's not my kid, and I don't really know how I'd fight that particular battle if she were, but it is really weird to see how she plays this game regarding eating food, and I can't help but wonder how that's going to go when she's older.

As for the writer's friend, I guess the question is whether this was a meal which was cooked specially for them, or whether it's just food that was made (or in a restaurant). Like, if it's just food then people can eat their food how they want, but if it's a special project that was done for someone, then messing around with it is like saying "this is a really nice painting you did for me but I think it would be nicer if she was smiling" and then drawing on the thing with a Sharpie.
  • The argument was around a meal someone made. It was a different friend who invited a bunch of us over, including Mr Picky. Mr Picky then proceeded to complain about almost everything that was served and, as you might imagine, that did not go down well.

There was one dining out experience where a waiter thought that we weren't happy with the food because of him. We were at a Chinese restaurant, Mr. Picky ordered a chicken curry and picked the chicken out of the curry to eat, leaving pretty much everything else behind, namely all the veg and most of the rice. It looked untouched and after clearing the plates one of the waiters asked if there was any problem with the curry. He'd assumed no one would send back so much food unless there was a problem and I couldn't blame him.

He doesn't quite match your model, RobotBastard, because while I don't know what he was like growing up, he does not at all have a sweet tooth now. When ordering dessert he'd prefer ice cream (vanilla, of course) over pretty much anything else. I actually can't think of the last time I saw him eat sweets or chocolate. He also doesn't even take tea or coffee with sugar and I'm pretty sure salt is much more his thing than sugar. I think the occasional coke or 7up is about it really.
  • edited May 31
    Huh, well, it doesn't even sound like a flavor thing--I'd imagine that someone trying to avoid weird flavors would not be eating anything out of chicken curry.

Maybe it's just this: http://www.theonion.com/article/fussy-eater-38-35011
    OMAHA, NE—According to sources, local fussy eater Bryan Wilcox, who is known for refusing to eat any type of food he hasn’t tried before or that falls outside of his narrow zone of comfort, is 38 years old. “Can I just get it plain, without sauce?” asked the adult man, who was born in 1975, has a 401k, a spouse, and two young children, yet frowns and shakes his head at the sight of shellfish, most varieties of vegetable, or any sandwich that hasn’t first had its crust removed. “Is it touching tomatoes? I don’t want it if it’s touching tomatoes.” Sources later confirmed that Wilcox, a fully grown human, just pushed his food around his plate until he got to have dessert.

I think Graz has a good point when she talks about the shared experience of a meal. Like, this is a way to build a sense of community and common-feeling, except for this asshole who wants to pick out all the problematic bits so there's nothing complicated to deal with or accomodate.

Alternatively, it's an expression of privilege. Yeah, I know that drips with #slatepitch, but at the same time it's like "starving children in Africa". Like, you're so sure that there will always be food if you need it that you can blithely throw away half or more of a meal untouched. You are so happily assured that in your life you'll never have to accept anything unpalatable that you will reject actual food if it isn't to your taste. Like, we aren't talking batok here, this isn't "slug pate on tree bark", this is regular-ass food that you just think looks icky.
  • edited June 1
    RE: Dave Chappelle.

What he did was funny in the 90s. He's still trying to do what was funny in the 90s.

I think that American society, as a whole, has been trying like hell to get out of the 90s and can't manage to do it. Like, we want to, very badly, but lack either the courage or the intelligence to pull it off. (Except for the people who had their shot in the 90s and want another one, or figure that they should have got a shot in the 90s and now it's their turn.)

There was another podcast I was listening to recently, and one of the guys said "[Pope Francis] is really progressive for about ten years ago". Which was a really good description of where we are, I think.
  • And speaking of gross food, just now at the lunchroom someone asked for a turkey on white bread, extra turkey and a double helping of mayo, nothing else on the sandwich--no lettuce or tomato or pickle
  • Success: also keep in mind that success at your dream doesn't always mean what you started out to do. Maybe you don't get to be an astronaut--but helping build and test spacesuit parts is pretty cool, and there are many more people involved in building and testing parts than there are astronauts.
  • How to finish: I think what the writer was asking for was, "how do I ask this person to finish the job without pissing them off or seeming like I'm whining?"

What I'd suggest is, go in with a specific date--like, "I need to send this to iTunes on July 24, and it's going to take me a week to get ready for that, so I need to have the artwork on July 16th, can you do that?"

And say "it's all right if you can't, I still want the piece because it'll look really nice and I'll use it for another project, but if you can't get it to me on the 16th then it would be good for me to know now so that I can line up something else. And if we decide now that it won't be done then you don't have to stress about it either, and you can put your energy toward something else." And when the piece does show up, you either put it towards a new project, or you re-release the old thing with a couple extra tracks and the new art and call it a "special edition".

That said, it might be one of those things where you ask and then it's "oh no no no no no no, I'll TOTALLY have it done for then, what did you say the 18th? Oh, the 16th. Right right right right okay okay okay okay okay I'll do it yaaay this is so exciting! thank you so much!" And then you have to decide how credible that is and whether you want to look for another artist anyway.
  • I just realized after posting in the Revenge thread that I still haven't listened to this episode because my phone still thinks that the associated file is an image instead of an mp3.

Regardless, I still find the error to be very funny.