User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Persona 5

13»

Comments

• I mean Ryuji sucks and everything. Someone I have not seen nearly shit on enough is the dude who runs the Phantom website. I know it plays into his Social Link story, but still. He goes from being a victim of Kamoshida, into being a pretty huge tool and sociopath about it. I haven't reached the end of his social link story (because that would requite spending time on him), but I doubt he will have a cathartic ending where he isn't a total douche regardless.
  • That's totally true, I don't think I've bitched about him here at all. I actually blame him for stuff that happens in the plot.
  • Poor Mishima. Treated as a punching bag in universe and unjustly hated by everyone out of universe.
  • Yeah, I just got to the part in the social link where he goes from being happy fan guy to awful person.
  • Ryuji has a backbone and will fight even against anything he thinks is wrong. Mishima was spineless after years of bullying. He started down a dark road and was in need of salvation. Ryuji just stayed Ryuji for the most (and worst parts). Mishima did turn into a creep, but he felt more pitiable than Ryuji.
  • I beat P5. It sure is a good game that I wish was great.
  • I just hit the Tomb Palace. I really wish this game didn't have so much male gaze built in re:Ann. I'm betting at this point it's not going to improve. I can't wait to see what the next escalation will be.
  • Fortunately I am deep enough into the game that you can pretty much cut Ann out of the view of the game. The game has 100 hours of crap it gets to spread its attention over.
  • edited June 5

Thread.

Also I apparently didn't Save and Save because I lost two weeks of story progress I'll have to fast forward through now.
  • Do they ogle her, or just like constantly bash on her?
  • Ogle. It's standard anime and Persona bullshit but in this one the protagonist also gets a little involved because he's slightly less of a blank slate than the previous games.
  • I would add in that the events of the first dungeon also make the gazy ogling way way more uncomfortable than it normally is, as well.
  • At least in the first dungeon it was appropriate. Afterwards it got old and inappropriate given the events of the first dungeon. You guys intimately know how she's treated and "sneak" a peak anyway. But hey she wants to be a model so she's putting it out there amirite?
  • Kinda sounds like they put a lot of effort into this creeper angle.
  • It's mostly anime trope bullshit I wasn't expecting to deal with here, but we can't forget how she's blackmailed into being a nude model for a painting, even if she doesn't have to do it in the end and even though the artist is so eccentric and oblivious that he doesn't seem to realize that that's what he was doing.

@matatat anime trope bullshit example:

Similarly, seeing this crap in My Hero Academia is just disappointing.
  • It's mostly anime trope bullshit I wasn't expecting to deal with here, but we can't forget how she's blackmailed into being a nude model for a painting.

Similarly, seeing this crap in My Hero Academia is just disappointing.

The game also starts with her being solicited for sex by a teacher and Ryuji explaining how she was sexually harassed and the subject of rumours during her childhood due to her pretty face, large breast, and hair/eyes.

I don't remember too much of that MAH but it's probably because all the other good points of that manga(haven't watched the Anime) block out any fan service stuff. Oh wait I just remembered Mineta exist...
  • edited June 6
    I want Ann in 10,000 sweaters to exist in a pure world completely divorced from the context that spawned her.

• If that was Ann's default outfit then that might make Persona 5 the greatest game of the generation. Her persona could be a giant cake with Banana split roller skates. Wasted opportunity.
  • I have finally slain the beast of this game in 88 hours! Pretty terrible ending except for what happens at the end of the final boss battle. My Only regret is I got Iwai to level 9 and the game ended before I could finish that confidant =/