User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Persona 5

Just think Nick, one day this thread will actually be about Persona 5.

DG_Nick said:

No way, I want a separate thread :/

Here we go! So I guess we should set some ground rules. Anything about story, any twists, character development, or just the end game in general should be in spoiler tags. Otherwise anything else goes, but use your best judgment.

Comments

• edited April 4
    Charlie Tunoku dies.

<//spoiler>
  • http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

TBH, they're doing us a favor. Now we can really roleplay as criminals.
  • edited April 4
    Who are they addressing that to? I mean, if my friends want to just watch the game being played I think I have the right to stream and let them watch. Just seems kinda weird. I realize they're just guidelines too, but still.

EDIT: Oh I missed the last bit about PS4 content being blocked... wtf.
  • They coat it with talks about spoilers, but it's more or less about making people buy the game rather than to watch let's play/stream of it. Which is stupid. I would think that by now there is plenty of evidence that people watching streams don't kill sales. Sure, there are some people who will be content to just watch, but not in any way a significant number.

One could hope that they ease up on that after the first few weeks, which apparently is the most important sales time for the publisher.
  • Speaking about the game itself, it's nice to see that enemy getting a random lucky crit is still a good way to get a unexpected Game Over.
  • edited April 5
    Apsup said:

They coat it with talks about spoilers, but it's more or less about making people buy the game rather than to watch let's play/stream of it. Which is stupid. I would think that by now there is plenty of evidence that people watching streams don't kill sales. Sure, there are some people who will be content to just watch, but not in any way a significant number.

One could hope that they ease up on that after the first few weeks, which apparently is the most important sales time for the publisher.

That's the same logic behind piracy. "If they didn't steal it they would've purchased it." However, I think people who solely watch others stream games are less likely to buy it than someone who was going to pirate it.
    I'm always surprised by what becomes popular on the internet. Watching someone play videogames in real life is hella boring I can't imagine watching it over a computer with no one to talk to. At least Gratz and Dave's streams have some communication with their audience.
  • Ikken said:

That's the same logic behind piracy. "If they didn't steal it they would've purchased it." However, I think people who solely watch others stream games are even likely to play it than someone who was going to pirate it.
    I'm always surprised by what becomes popular on the internet. Watching someone play videogames in real life is hella boring I can't imagine watching it over a computer with no one to talk to. At least Gratz and Dave's streams have some communication with their audience.

You forgot the word 'more' or 'less' on the first part. I assume it was 'more'.

Problem with the "why people watch video game streams or let's plays" -question is that everyone has different reasons. I like seeing someone play through a game I enjoyed, to see their reactions to cool, interesting and fun things. I think it allows me to kinda reflect on my own first time with the game and also gives another perspective to it. Alternatively I like to see someone demonstrate a complete mastery over a game showing me what the game is like on level that I don't have time or dedication to reach myself.

• Lol that intro.

Also yeah, they really really poorly worded that streaming stuff. Like I have a couple of Japanese games that I can't stream due to the same stupid stuff so this isn't anything new. What is new is their lame excuse of why they are doing it. They could have just said, look our JP office won't budge, we are sorry. Instead they had to go and justify it.

I started playing the game and while getting lost in the train while trying to get to school, I saw some cameos. I don't count this as a spoiler since it is just a wall ad in the first part of the game, but while I expected the obvious P4 cameo in the game, I was not expecting a Dancing All Night reference
  • I was going to play on the JP track anyway but now I'm gonna seem like I was just following some wave. From what little I've heard it doesn't sound any better than Persona 4 anyway. It's hard to tell if there's an issue or if there's just a bunch of normies playing now.

They could have just said, look our JP office won't budge, we are sorry. Instead they had to go and justify it.

They can't actually say that though.
  • So far the English dub has sounded fine on my ear. Some cases of emotionally charged screaming sounding a little whatever, but mostly it's been fine, if not good even. I don't think I've seen people dissing the dub, but the translation and it's editing and Japanese audio won't really help with that.

Also as a warning, I've seen reports of few cases of the JP track bugging out in several ways, which might force redownloads and reinstalls to get them fixed.

Example case, language of music.
  • DG_Nick said:

They can't actually say that though.

They said this much, so it's p obvious. They could have just left it there.

• You missed my point. If they actually come out and say it, someone might lose their job.
  • edited April 5
    Ah, ok. I guess that is right they can't really talk smack about the parent company.
  • Apsup said:

Ikken said:

That's the same logic behind piracy. "If they didn't steal it they would've purchased it." However, I think people who solely watch others stream games are even likely to play it than someone who was going to pirate it.

You forgot the word 'more' or 'less' on the first part. I assume it was 'more'.

Problem with the "why people watch video game streams or let's plays" -question is that everyone has different reasons. I like seeing someone play through a game I enjoyed, to see their reactions to cool, interesting and fun things. I think it allows me to kinda reflect on my own first time with the game and also gives another perspective to it. Alternatively I like to see someone demonstrate a complete mastery over a game showing me what the game is like on level that I don't have time or dedication to reach myself.

I actually meant less likely. To me watching a person play a game I want would just ruin any chances of discovery(map, gameplay, story, etc.) So, watching a stream would actually kill my interest in the game. I'm assuming there has been market research into this I'm wholly ignorant of.
    I'm not condemning it in anyway, more highlighting how out of touch I am with the medium. I think the only stream(outside of Fast Karate) I've watch was twitch plays Pokemon (not exactly what the type we're talking about). Or the kind where people compile all the silly things that happened in the game.
  • edited April 5
    So I got in my obligatory 5 hours in last night and have just a couple of thangs. I don't know how to do spoiler tagging but I don't think these impressions reveal anything in particular.

-Igor's voice, The Fuck?
    -Loli was not the flavor I wanted to Igor's assistants
    -Morgana is fantastic
    -I guess the principle is the father of TweedleDee and TweedleDum
    -The New Tarot cards are is pretty rad
    -Asshole playboy guardian is alright in my book
    -R1 is the greatest button in this game (quick select weakness and bring up the options to warp around!)
    -Ryuji has so many movements and posturing as Kanji which makes me really miss Kanji (although I think is Ryuji just fine)
    -Finally when it comes to Ann, are Pantsuits and Dominatrix suits the only way to convey female empowerment. Her Persona and outfit are probably the lamest things I have seen so far.
    -Thug is a better name than Skull
    -Ryuji by far as the coolest outfit and persona so far. Don't know why the pirate uses Zio, but what the fuck ever.
  • Ryuji = Yosuke x Kanji - the creepy gay panic

I have no idea WTF they were thinking with Igor's voice or why. Also the angry twin is one of the worst voices in the game. :< It's been a long time since P4A, but I remembered something about Elizabeth being out there somewhere in that and maybe coming back, so I was hoping she'd end up being the Velvet room attendants, but maybe that was just wishful thinking ._.
  • I read, in passing, something about Igor's new voice trying to emulate the new Japanese voice, which is similarly really low.
  • Jokaa. Jokaaaaaa.
  • edited April 5
    I've been thinking about why you got taken in by that cafe owner. For one minute he might be a slight bit sympathetic to your situation or cook a meal for you, and the next telling you off for getting involved and not to be a pain in the ass. It's gotta be mostly the money for him. They just don't belabor that point.

Spoiler: What the 1st treasure is
    Assuming it's not an actual object, I suspect it's the fake Ann.
  • edited April 5
    So that joke I made during anime club...

Spoiler:
    There really is a volleyball team?! The coach is apparently a piece of shit or something.

• The stuff the perverted king gets away with strains credulity. The abuse is too visible, and the dating is too well-known.
  • Yeah, it sounded a bit heavy handed.
  • I swear 2 G if i have to listen to someone say For Real one more time!!! Also

Spoiler:

• Barely started, but yech, do I hate that Igor voice. What were they thinking changing it to begin with?
    matatat said:

Charlie Tunoku dies.

<//spoiler>

Hey, that's what I named my character. (And yes, I mean in P5, not the other ones, though I may have used variants there too.)
  • While going through the first dungeon I was worried that the game couldn't manage to make other upcoming villains to be as hateable as the first one, and now that I'm in early/mid second dungeon, it seems I was right. I'm sure that there are still some revelations left that make him look a lot more despicable, but the teacher and his victims were so close in the main characters' daily life, which made it so impactful. I was willing to renounce my vows of pacifism to deck the teacher in the jaw, but I don't get any such strong feelings towards the second villain.
  • edited April 6
    Spoiler:
    I ain't been saying much due to spoilers but yeah. They drop a bomb with that first villain and none of the rest are nearly as good. I still liked the story and characters a lot but the first 5-10 hours sets you up for a different, much better game.
  • I really like the way negotiation is handled in Persona 5. I was afraid reintroducing it would shit up my persona, but it didn't. The way it's framed as a "Hold up" makes thematic sense and deciding whether to negotiate instead of all-out attack makes engaging in that system actually matter. I guess my one complaint is that you won't be able to get personas passively as opposed to arcana chance. Another complaint I heard is that it could be difficult to negotiate if you're too strong, we'll see if that ends up being an issue.

I'm playing on hard and I'm trying to send the calling card one the 1st day once you have full access to the 1st dungeon. I'm nearly there, I'm right at the tower, but now I gotta figure out how to make it with what I got or burn this soma now. I regret being p5's version of revival beads, if I'd known characters live with 1hp after battles I would've gotten more armor or HP recovery items instead.
  • DG_Nick said:

Another complaint I heard is that it could be difficult to negotiate if you're too strong, we'll see if that ends up being an issue.

I feel that the "don't kill me, let's talk bro" thing is for those situations. Though it's based on rng, so it's not optimal for trying to get that one specific persona.

Also, hard difficulty and trying to do everything on one run sounds like madness. Good luck.

• I am just starting out and like...I got my first free day and went to the dungeon since that seems like the thing to do? And yeah, since I one shot some people now I can't get the weaker enemies. I guess the thing to do in that case is summon a weaker creature at o'l Igor to get them?
  • Yeah, you aren't the first person I've seen saying they're one-shotting. That I'm hearing multiple people say that makes me glad that I bumped up the difficulty.
  • You can also use the elemental items that just do 50 damage. Or spam your gun and hope for a crit.
  • I almost don't want to capture this horse goat because Dirty Two-Horned Beast is a such as good name.
  • This game hates me, it hates it's player. Everything I do seems to boost guts, but still it fails to go up. I just want more friends.
  • matatat said:

Charlie Tunoku dies.

<//spoiler>

Hey, that's what I named my character. (And yes, I mean in P5, not the other ones, though I may have used variants there too.)
    I went with Dill Pickles which was a change from big city-slicker turned rural local favorite boy DeAngelo Vickers.
  • Okay so since I beat everything in all of Witcher 3 I have kind of fell out of love with games. P5 has brought back why I love video games. I don't think Anything will beat Turn Based RPGs for me. Even the Active Battle System Final Fantasy made me not happy. I am so glad this turned out to be everything I wanted it to be.

ALSO BEST LOADING SCREENS EVER IN A VIDEO GAME EVER?!? AM I RITE?

I agree with a lot of Dave stated in his review. I have been sick the last 2 days and have gotten about 20 hours into the game.

It is weird going back to old RPG mechanics of saving yourself, I have lost maybe 2-3 Hours in this game by just continuously playing and forgetting to save then getting like randomly ganked by low level characters.

This is probably the greatest RPG design I have ever personally played (maybe not better than Suikoden, but close). Like Dave said though it fails to capture a lot of the magic its predecessors have done. I just finished the Second villain and I think the only character I like is Punk rock Doctor...

Dave,is Ann's relationship story worth doing? I hate her and replaced her with Yusuke asap and really don't want to spend any extra day time on her unless her story is absolutely to die for. Also I heard on the revengecast you posted on twitter about who you need in order to make leveling up other peoples relationships faster... Since I don't have twitter if you could DM me who we are talking about (I think I have an idea but not far enough down their relationship tree). Normally I would find out myself but it takes way to many nights helping out your care taker to get even to the 2nd star (opportunity).

English Enunciation of Japanese names is still god aweful, and this game put a nail in the coffin that I think tsundere personalities are played out and boring as fuck.

I love the game and am dreading that there eventually will be an end. Excited to binge it over the weekend though.
  • edited April 7
    The config seems by design but it just seems so fucking broken to me. I dunno the last time I encountered a game config from the title menu that only applies to new games.
  • There are lyrics now! How is this game so fucking good?!
  • You talkin about that palace climax song? :o Because it never stopped getting me pumped the entire game.
  • I was looking at the DLC and most of the costumes just seem to make everyone have the same uniform and don't really seem worth it unless you really want those battle themes? Like besides a one or two like the Catherine pack (which actually gives everyone separate costumes) it is all just the same outfit for everyone. Also it's bull that none of these dumb packs give you the definitive BEST battle theme.

• edited April 8
    If that wasn't Wiping All Out I was gonna flip my shit. :|

But yeah it's almost like they still can't get it through their thick skulls that Minako is the best protagonist/aesthetic they've ever made???????

Mfw there's a Costume slot from the beginning of the game and literally all the costumes are DLC:

Ya okay. What is this TALES of Persona by NamcoSCAMdai am I right?????
  • Dave said:

You talkin about that palace climax song? :o Because it never stopped getting me pumped the entire game.

The cafe theme.
  • edited April 8
    I'd forgotten that DIDN'T have lyrics at the start? For a while I was singing that song on the stream all the time. In my review, I talked about how we would just "accidentally" leave it on the TV when we wandered away to make dinner and such.

Didn't you make a tweet about the P5 theme coming with the cafe song? I assumed it was the vocal version and I was actually going to stupidly waste money on it........................................

Dave,is Ann's relationship story worth doing? I hate her and replaced her with Yusuke asap and really don't want to spend any extra day time on her unless her story is absolutely to die for. Also I heard on the revengecast you posted on twitter about who you need in order to make leveling up other peoples relationships faster... Since I don't have twitter if you could DM me who we are talking about (I think I have an idea but not far enough down their relationship tree). Normally I would find out myself but it takes way to many nights helping out your care taker to get even to the 2nd star (opportunity).

Most of your party members have the same bonuses on level up (endure fatal hit, follow-up attack), so you definitely don't got to prioritize anyone who you're not using. If anything, I'd focus on the non-party characters you an intuit will give you gameplay benefits you need (speech guy helps with demon negotiation) over the party characters you don't think you'll use. Though P5 makes it pretty easy to swap characters in and out, so we ended up using everyone at some point or another in most dungeons. So it's pretty annoying when you get a new character and enter a dungeon before they've got Baton Pass, stuff like that.

As for the quality of her STORY... I guess I feel like outside of a couple notably lame characters, most of the social links in these games blend together at about the same level of Anime TV Show quality. So like... outside of a couple characters I disliked, they all felt kinda the same to me.

• What I really like about Ryuji's social link is that it immediately included other people in it, so there was clear conflict and drama happening from the get go. I much prefer that to the "let's sit here and talk about my issues for six ranks" -type of social links.
  • edited April 8
    Yeah, but I didn't know there were (at least?) two versions of the cafe theme. The PS4 theme has the one without vocals.

Spoiler: Related to above
    The cafe owner sucks, but at least he does the cool guy move of tossing you the keys. That's when the music changes over.

I don't know how you can hate Ann. In battle, she's like "HAY! HOLDU AUP!" and when she gets healed she says "Ann-gato!"
  • Some of us didn't have access to the JP track >:|
  • edited April 8
  • What's with the PUA shit in this game, tho?
  • edited April 9
    Persona 5 keeps giving me little things that I Just Like. For example, while the formula of find treasure, send calling card, get treasure and fight boss has stayed the same so far, the way the treasure trip and lead up to boss fight goes has been different every time. It's a small, tiny thing, but it just makes me happy for it to be there.

Also, sometimes in some angles main character's hair lands on his glasses in a way that makes it seem like he is making a ^_^ face. Which is usually inappropriate in the situation. That's not something I like really, but something I wanted to note.
  • edited April 10
    I slothed the fuck out yesterday for 13 hours on persona 5 yesterday and it seems there is plentyyyy of time to do peoples' story mission. Although I am spending balls loads of money to do so. Since I don't have the internet in my home I am not using the thieves guild. Does it add anything because just being able to see the choices of your friends on what they did on a day seems pretty hokey and dumb...

I super want to like Futaba, I just finished her initial stuff and am hopeful I guess. I have fallen in like with Makoto, but I think that is more of a consequence of there being a lack of things to love. I think I am at the solid conclusion that P4>P5>P3.

I think of all the games this has the least connection to the actual school life. The lack of being able to choose a club to be in is something I super in particular miss doing. Also there aren't any fun school trips. It mostly just focuses on the immediate social link stuff and cuts out everything else around it. Which I agree that most of this stuff is blending together and that is a damn shame, but holy shit does it feel good to play.

If someone could gimme the hot tips on how to post spoiler because the Simple Html link doesn't tell me anything.