User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Spring 2017 Anime "The Horn of Helm Hammerhand will sound in the deep, one last time!"

edited April 4 in Anime
Preceding: Winter 2017 Anime "Long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill."

imageimage

I'm glad that this isn't going to strictly be a tournament. It's an actual sports festival.

It might not be too late for Attack on Titan, but boy, it has been awhile.

Re:Creators was written by the Black Lagoon mangaka and it's being scored by Hiroyuki Sawano. Regardless of it's good or not, I have hopes that it will be extremely watchable either way.

Luckily, there's still plenty of new INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY this season, like these:

Did you like Gundam Build Fighters? Then BOY do I have an anime for YOU.

This show is about something, I think. It clearly has a ton of plot.

PVs from other notable series
*The Eccentric Family 2 subbed Trailer
*GRANBLUE FANTASY The Animation subbed Trailer
*Atom The Beginning (Astroboy prequel) Teaser
*If you close your eyes, you can pretend that's Old Snake in Alice to Zouroku. (subbed)
*My first love is a monk?!
*The moon is pretty, and so is Tsuki ga Kirei.
*Sakurada Reset sounds like it could be neat. Can't tell either way with this trailer though.
*You can't fool me again, author of Oreimo! (subbed)
*Anime is trying to turn us into furries.
*The first half of this Shingeki no Bahamut trailer has an entirely different tone from the second.
*Sanzigen continues to do good stuff with CG. I think...
*Holy fuck, so does Toei.
*Meanwhile, in Berserk...

Comments

• Provisional comment.

(thanks as always, Nick)
  • Gone be gud
  • huh I thought Eccentric Family was a good one off series. Guess there is going to be a sequel. Guess I can hang out with the emo frog bro some more.
  • Apparently Production IG's doing an Astro Boy prequel. That's pretty much the only new thing that's caught my eye.
  • More academia, more yowapeda, astro boy prequel, and the salesman show looks interesting.
  • Besides some of the sequels and Atom, I am hoping Re:Creators is either entertainingly bad or entertainingly good. It's written by the creator of Black Lagoon and it's the Fate/Zero and Aldnoah director. The idea of summoning fake anime characters instead of historical figure/stands sounds bad though.
  • With the releases so far, besides continuing AoT and MHA, Alice & Zoroku is the only show I'm considering, and only for the old guy and his relationship with the girl, the experimental superpower girl half of the plot can shove off for all I care.

Laughing Salesman just felt like a toothless, low-impact Twilight Zone style show that completely failed to make the old style art charming at all IMO, and Frame Arms Girl is just an incredibly blunt toy commercial mixed with creepy fanservice. The couple of shorts so far have just been a janky cliche Chinese co-pro and a creepy slideshow style one that I maybe have a slight twinge in if only cause it might be worth 4 min of my time a week.
  • Okay, real thread is up. It'll be a lot earlier next time and I already have an idea about what I'm gonna do.
  • So as far as completely new shows, I am just watching ATOM and Re:Creators.

Re:Creators I'm still a little iffy on since it is trying to be an action show and the director isn't good at doing action.

ATOM seems cute enough so far though I like Tezuka stuff. It also has a neat OP.

Everything else i'm watching is just sequels. Attack on Titan 2, My Hero Academia 2, Eccentric Family 2, and Bahamut 2.
  • What service shows ATOM?

So Clockwork Planet had an interesting premise from what I read. I made it about 10 minutes in until the fingers in the mouth scene...don't watch it.

Hero academia still good.

For some reason I watched like 8 episodes of Monster Strike even though it's a horrible show that doesn't make sense. In my defense the episodes are like 6 minutes long.

• ATOM is Amazon's Anime Strike subscription.

So here's my anime list for spring so far:

It's a bit smaller than other seasons for me, and there's already a lot of that stuff that's already on thin ice for me to potentially drop. MHA and AoT are great, and the best of the new stuff IMO is probably Re: Creators, Kabukibu, and KADO: The Right Answer. If I get the time I wanna try to watch Bahamut S1 so I can watch S2.
  • edited April 30
    Kado is the other one I want to make time for.
  • Yowapeda is some prime Yowapeda again this season.
  • I think ATOM will be the next recent thing I delve into, decided to catch up on half a year of One Piece I have fallen behind on first because why the hell not at this point.
  • Atom and bahamut are both top notch.
  • edited May 17
    Is Bahamut something that I need to watch everything that came prior to Virgin Soul to appreciate?
  • I don't think you have to, but you probably won't understand why​ some characters seem to be so important to the story.
  • It's totally a sequel. I wouldn't really recommend watching blind. It might work, but you will be missing a lot.
  • From the screenshots I've seen that Bahamut show looks exactly like something ex would say is bad so I'm curious why he says it's good.
  • Well it isn't a sports show so that's one negative and it isn't one piece so that's two. But it's a little silly with bits of action mixed in to an interesting world. So basically it's one piece with less focus on fights and 1000% less gross female character models.
  • So it's better?
  • I'm currently watching Bahamut S1 in order to watch S2 and that show is just fantastic fun, a very traditional fantasy adventure with heaps and heaps of energy and incredibly charming characters, so I'd say needed or not it's definitely worth watching IMO.
  • DG_Nick said:

So it's better?

They don't have any Yojimbo gravity controlling samurai admirals yet so no. But it's pretty close.
  • So I just finished the first season of Bahamut and I guess I didn't get the appeal. It was painfully mediocre. It may have been my fault after seeing the first few episodes and getting excited for it to be another take on the Samurai Champloo duo adventure, but Favaro and Kaisar, Mugen and Jin they are not. I am glad I didn't end up hating it, because the Demon girl with dog mittens and talking duck almost did it.
  • After watching the most recent episodes of My hero Academia, it is very well headed to being one of the greatest anime of all time for me. The premise of the entire show drew me and it hasn't disappointed me yet.
  • Welcome to the Ballroom looks real cool!
  • That does really good, looks like a slightly better version of Yuri on ice.
  • Attack on Titan 2 is over and overall I think it was a fun ride. Everything moved a pretty good pace. There was no, we are gonna take 4 eps to move this boulder.

I will probably be continuing Bahamut, ReCreators, and MHA into the next season. All are good/entertaining enough through they all have flaws.
  • AOT2 didn't move in an interesting direction for me.
  • Attack on titan was never good and you guys are terrible people for watching it. #onepieceisking
  • After the 10th episode of the first season I started reading he AoT manga and found it way too rough to go back to the anime due to its pacing
  • Yeah just finished the last episode of the second season and that is two huge fart season endings so far. My problem that they take super interesting world and premise and plop in the worst cast of characters I have seen in a long time.

Also after nearly finishing the ark where people scream out Garchu! for 10 minutes every episode, I think being king a little lofty for one piece.