User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

You guys, we can just *have* a JoJo thread

Comments

• I'm surprised they changed Santana. Isn't that a pretty common surname?
    I was thinking the same thing... but I know nothing of law.

• So to avoid copyright they've just spelled out the engrish pronunciation like they did Avdol.
    Avdol is supposed to Abdul, right? What's up with changing that? That's an actual common name.

• From what I understand, Abdul means "slave" in Arabic. Avdol might be a less insensitive spelling.
  • All Star Battle name changes are all pretty bad.
    Jean Pierre Polnareff was changed to Jean Pierre Eiffel, which is just awful. Is his stand going to be Baguetteman then?

• I was under the impression that was just the European version or has it been confirmed for the NA version as well?
  • Can they just replace Stand Proud with ambiguous for real then?
    Stand Proud has actually grown on me quite a bit. It's no Bloody Stream but I still like it.
    All Star Battle name changes are all pretty bad.
    Jean Pierre Polnareff was changed to Jean Pierre Eiffel
    When I searched "Polnareff" on Google Jean Pierre Polnareff came up first. That should say something.

This whole thing of changing last names is starting to become frustrating but I guess its easier to do that than waste money in legal fees.
  • I really don't see how having a character named Polnareff would be inviting a law suit. It's just a French name.

Maybe this is a Sorcerer's Stone / Philosopher's Stone situation?
  • I'm alright with most of stand name changes, the most notable exception being Sticky Fingers changed to Zipper Man.
  • I consider losing Polnareff a fair trade for Esidisi.
  • edited April 2014
    So to avoid copyright they've just spelled out the engrish pronunciation like they did Avdol.
    Avdol is supposed to Abdul, right? What's up with changing that? That's an actual common name.

Yeah, named after Paula.

With Polnareff I think there's a dude named Michel or Jacque Polnareff. Araki just felt it wasn't french enough.
    I'm alright with most of stand name changes, the most notable exception being Sticky Fingers changed to Zipper Man.
    I hope they don't cover up the guy shouting "STICKY FINGAHS!"

Josuke's stand "Crazy Diamond" was renamed "Shining Diamond".
    Kira's stand "Killer Queen" was renamed "Deadly Queen". "Bite The Dust" remains unchanged.
    "Stray Cat" was renamed "Feral Cat"

Part 6: Stone Ocean, taking place in a prison nicknamed the same, with Jolyne's stand being named Stone Free is nice. It doesn't work when it too is named Stone Ocean. Bamco what are you doing?

What is even the point of JoJo's without the namedropping? It is the cherry atop the insanity cake that is Araki's masterpiece.

I'll be pulled back if King Crimson gets one of the following renames-
    Cardinal Cardinal
    Duke Scarlet
    Khan Carmine
    Baron Vermilion
    Fuhrer Cerise
    Kaiser Coral
    Regent Rose
  • They aren't dubbing it so I can't imagine them hiring the Japanese VAs to re-record their dialogue.
  • Well at least there's that.

I'd still like Cardinal Cardinal in there though.
  • edited April 2014

Raisin' this kid up right.
  • oraoradorable.
  • Aahahaha. Bravo Jojo's! Bravo!
  • I like it.
  • That was...unexpected.
  • ^^^ Is this real life?

Also, having read the first couple volumes of the first arc of JoJo's (Jonathan v. Dio) I very much want someone to do a retelling of Downton Abbey in Hirohiko Araki's nuts style.
  • edited April 2014

Definitely. Come on JoJo! You knew it wasn't going to happen the second you said it!

Spoiler:
    I RECOGNIZE THAT FLY!
  • Dio has come a long way from kicking peoples dogs (also burning them). Now he can just sexy talk people into taking his weird hentai tentacles.
  • Word on the street is that this (presumably initial) run of JoJo's will be 24 episodes. I don't know if it will be a split season or not, and keep in mind that this is hearsay.
  • If the Jojo's anime keeps going at the same pace (which is around 3 chapters per episode, the previous season was doing 4 per), the show would be around 50 episodes to adapt the whole thing. So my guess is that they will do 24 then take a break and do the rest in another season.
  • Or, we can do the best half of jojo's now, and wait a decade to do the first six episodes later.
  • edited April 2014
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheep is now Filty acts, at a reasonable price.

I was searching for the Jojo's game and this came up. I think it is pretty accurate. image

• Name changes at least in the EU version.
  • edited April 2014
    King Crimson => Emperor Crimson

ONE GOD DAMNED JOB, BAMCO and that was Cardinal Cardinal

^^

I think they did have one, actually. JoJo's is super big in parts of europe with Araki making appearances at Gucci and Prada shows.
  • I was searching for the Jojo's game and this came up. I think it is pretty accurate. image
    Araki's got it covered.
  • edited April 2014

Straight from the horse's mouth too. It turned out that no one anime had saved anime, it was Crunchyroll.
  • Crunchyroll has saved anime. Having said that, Tatami Galaxy not being on Crunchyroll super sucks for me.
  • Isn't that on Hulu? Which I know isn't the best service, but at least it is there.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm in the process of trying to watch it all before the weekend.... for some reason. Hulu is blocked at work so I can't watch it during my lunch break.
  • I ended up signing up for the Elite Funimation membership, because I can't stand Hulu's ads. There's a two-week free trial, if that helps, Tom.
  • A new episode of Soul Eater Not! comes out this afternoon. I suspect it won't be of the same quality as the last but here's hoping otherwise.
  • From what I understand, Abdul means "slave" in Arabic. Avdol might be a less insensitive spelling.
    Not to Monday morning quarterback what I'm sure was a tough localization, but I'd think that Abdullah (servant of god) wouldn't have that problem, plus it's an actual name.
  • edited April 2014
    Apparently the translation of All Star Battle is terrible or at least inconsistent, e.g. Joseph's counter taunt doesn't make sense because the same line is translated two different ways.
  • Yeah, there is a little of that with characters. In one line they use "Shining Diamond" but in another line they left in "Crazy Diamond".
  • edited April 2014
    Alright Nerds I saw this on tumblr:
    rock bands and super power wiki Randomizers.

http://rock.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random
    http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random

I got Fleetwood Mac and a power called Fatal Countenance
  • A stand named Transmission (the Joy Division song) with the power of Technological Assimilation, sounds pretty good to me
  • Stand: Life During Wartime
    Ability: Causal Plane Manipulation (the ability to alter people's memories)
  • Marianne Faithful with the power of animal spirit.
  • The Who with Language Embodiment. This is one of the most poorly defined powers I've ever read.
  • Franco Battiato (which I think means I'm in Part 5) with the power of Penatration and Protection.
  • Little Girl with the power of Carbon Manipulation.
  • Steets of Your Town that has the power of Chlorokinetic Creature Creation.
  • Stand: One Step Ahead
    Power: Despair Inducement
  • edited April 2014
    Stand Name: Ministry
    Power: Personal Domain

So I got Burning Down the House, basically. Really, I can't help but feel JoJo's has probably covered all of the powers listed before mine.
    Marianne Faithful with the power of animal spirit.
    Your stand has a stand?