User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

You guys, we can just *have* a JoJo thread

Comments

• I wanted more story progression, or at least more signs that it's headed somewhere.
  • DG_Nick said:

I wanted more story progression, or at least more signs that it's headed somewhere. The serial killer aspect of it is obviously important, but whenever that stuff is brought up it's just ignored in the very next episode.

Yeah, I felt that way too, but then the goofy stuff they do instead of following the Kira story is so dumb and fun that I don't mind.
  • I don't mind the goofy stuff, I just hate the dangling plot thread. It's the whole reason Jotaro called Joseph but they haven't done anything with him. The new crew has gotten more done by accident than the people who are actually supposed to be investigating.
  • The anime has been adding in more Kira stuff earlier to try to tie him in better with the plot. The original manga there is no hint of him till ghost girl. They actually switched around the chapters so that all the Kira stuff is going to happen at once. Originally the next arc happened before Cinderella.
  • Today in Jojo's the secret for stress free and healthy life. 8 hours of sleep every night and occasional murder.
  • I can't even get the 8 hours of sleep part down!
  • I don't know which is weirder, that Koichi is very forgiving of evil stand users that try to murder him and his friends, or that the evil stand users really seem to want to hang out with him afterwards. Of the three heroes, how did he become the cool guy everyone wants to be friends with?

I half expect Dio to jump out of the bushes and be like "IT IS ME, DIO! FIRST I WILL KILL THE JOESTARS, AND THEN I WILL SEE IF KOICHI IS UP FOR SOME MINI-GOLF LATER!"
  • It is a typical shonen thing where the defeated hangs out with the winners. It's just weird coming from Stardust Crusaders where they outright murdered their enemies for the sake of the world.

But, when your living in a sleepy town and want to hang out with other stand users like yourself, your top three choices are hot-headed pretty-boy, hot-headed idiot, or leveled headed short guy.... Slim pickings. Plus, I think Koichi shows everyone else, just because you have a stand doesn't have to make you a power hungry A-hole. It's as if they never thought to use their powers for good/neutral acts before Koichi.
    Dreg said:

I half expect Dio to jump out of the bushes and be like "IT IS ME, DIO! FIRST I WILL KILL THE JOESTARS, AND THEN I WILL SEE IF KOICHI IS UP FOR SOME MINI-GOLF LATER!"

I love it.
  • Dang. Think I might like that better than the original. She really nailed that last "joooooooooooooooojoooooo"
  • It's like if your racist uncle just died.
  • I am not surprised of what happened, but alas. I cannot feel anything but sad after watching it.
    Strong episode, and can't wait for JoJo-Cast!
    What is the status of limitations of spoiling the show?
  • edited August 2016
    Anything up to and including the current episode. If you want to talk about the manga, use spoiler tags.
  • DG_Nick said:

Anything up to and including the current episode. If you want to talk about the manga, use spoiler tags.

I am leaving the manga aside, if anything I first watch the show then I read the manga. If I do it the other way around I don't even watch a show. The manga spoiled "Monster" for me :(

Man, what a way to go the one of Shigechi, Hirohito Araki has a way of making you feel sympathy for his characters just when they are about to beat the dust.
  • Spike kid had a good heart when it wasn't filled with the lust of money.
  • In the end he didn't give up his "friends" identities and only thought to protect mom and pop. So he did alright in my book. I am so pissed about what happened to him that I've decided to just read the scans of the manga to see Kira get punched.

The Man Inside Me by Hirohiko Araki
  • The Shear Heart Attack episodes were pretty great, but, dang, some of that animation was garbage. Nice to see Kira get knocked down a peg. The scene in the previous episode with the whole Morioh Stand User Society meeting on the street corner made me laugh.
  • Maybe I don't have the eye for it but I've never noticed bad animation in any show (except for the running in the first intro of Ace Attorney).

I can't tell 30fps from 60fps either so it might be me.
  • shaloop said:

Morioh Stand User Society

Stand users are drawn to one another... on every third Tuesday of the month at 7:00, don't forget to bring $5 for your monthly dues or we'll have to stop printing the newsletter

Okay, so they must've just had a group meeting or something to do this in Stardust Crusaders then.
  • edited September 2016
    Nah, it's all Jotaro. He's so quiet because he's a big nerd spending all of his time thinking of the best thing to say at any given moment and the older he gets the more he slips up at it.

The only other one with any workshop time was Avdol and all he got out of being alone on an island for a week is tsktsk.
  • Joseph had the power but used it all up when he was young, "What you're going to say next is!" was too strong to use so often.

Jojo's is a good show

• Cybylt said:

"What you're going to say next is!" was too strong to use so often.

True, but it was totally worth it.

• I'm sure everybody already heard about this but Takashi Miike is making a live action JoJo movie for 2017. There's no way that's gonna be good, right?
    Also they're starting with Diamond is Unbreakable, y'know, the JoJo's arc that takes place in a small Japanese town, but they're filming in Spain? Whut?
  • On the contrary, I can think of few ppl I'd rather see do a JoJo's live action than Miike, part 4 is right in his wheelhouse.

That doesn't mean it'll be good, obvs (his work generally and his franchise adaptations in particular are all over the map, see the shitty Ace Attorney movie and 2/3 great Yazua). If he brings on his cinematographer from most of his '10s work, Nobuyasu Kita, then I'll start getting excited, but I'm cautiously optimistic til I see who he's working with/we get a trailer.
  • Does Invisible Baby Victory make the Rock Paper Scissors episode the best gambling episode in Jojos? I think so.
  • I guess Heaven's Door can just open people up whenever he feels like it now?
  • ThatGent said:

I guess Heaven's Door can just open people up whenever he feels like it now?

Stands tend to change. Araki probably first wrote the one story with Rohan as a enemy, but when he became recurring character his stand had to become more convenient. At least with that you could theorize some excuse like "he learned to control his power better" as it's basically slight upgrade.

In part 5 one aspect of main character's stand's powers are just dropped along the way.
  • You could explain away that the kid read shounen jump so he was susceptible, or you can say Araki shows his appreciation for train tunnels by writing plot holes the size of them.
  • Cybylt said:

Something you should always remember with Araki and consistency - Dio escapes in his coffin because he forgot Erina escaped in his coffin.

- is still my favorite post in this thread.

• Finished Stone Ocean tonight.
    Ending was a little bit underwhelming if I have to be honest , but all in all was pretty enjoyable.
  • The ending is definitely more entertaining conceptually.
  • The new opening of JoJo is what dreams are made of.
    JoJo needs more episodes like the latest one.
  • I'm a few episodes behind.You talking about Great Days? Because I was listening to that in the car on the way home last night and it is pretty great.
  • shaloop said:

I'm a few episodes behind.You talking about Great Days? Because I was listening to that in the car on the way home last night and it is pretty great.

Yeap, it has become my power song for when I go for a run.
  • edited November 2016
    Figured I should spoiler this, since it some people probably didn't watch it yet.
    Spoiler:
  • Anything up to the current episode is fine to talk about. That's why we have a seperate topic for it.
  • edited December 2016
    So...
    Spoiler:
    Bites The Dust just groundhog days Hayato and Kira every time the kid tells anyone who Kira is? What's the point of the third bomb then? I'm glad Kira's dad was as confused as I was about how that stand works.
    I'm enjoying how small Kira's ambitions are. Dude just wants to lead a boring life (except with recreational murder.) it's a nice contrast to Dio's muwhahaha fabulously evil style.

• Yeah, I think Kira is my favorite Jojo villain because of how mundane he is.
    Spoiler:
    Someone killed in one loop is killed in all subsequent loops regardless if the target changes their behavior
  • edited December 2016
    Oh man. We were in for a treat for this week's OP.

• Kira just wants a quiet life.

Which one is the child?
  • I agree about small ambitions. Villains with small ambitions are great cause somewhere in the back of your mind you feel like they could actually succeed in their goals, makes it more tense. So yeah, Kira is pretty amazing.

And yeah, this weeks opening was AMAZING.