User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

You guys, we can just *have* a JoJo thread

edited April 2014 in Anime

Comments

• I have no idea what the context for this thread is but I was going to drop one of her videos in here because fuck you. I'm scared now.
  • Somebody catch me up. Has JoJo's part 3 actually started and if so, how many episodes in is it?
  • edited April 2014
    2nd episode drops in an hour or so, 1st becomes free for everyone else and Joel.

• YEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
  • Jotaro is so mean to his mama. :-(
  • He's an asshole with a heart of gold.
  • Heart of Platinum.
  • Roundabout?
  • I assume the ED is just a placeholder for now till the real one is ready.

It was just black screen with scrolling text and the song was the full version of the song from the first teaser trailer.
  • Can we have a Yes thread too?
    I know they only made 2 good songs but I still want one
  • Yare yare daze count: 1
    Ora ora ora! count: ∞

I bet some of you guys might be a little upset about the 2 minutes of "Last time, on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" at the top of the episode, but maybe that's just an indication that they're in this for the long haul. A year's worth of JoJo. I don't think that's an unreasonable prediction.
  • edited April 2014
    At the rate they are going it would have to be more the 26 episodes. Otherwise they would have to cut out a lot.
    Spoiler:

The opening had a reference to the Sun fight which is one of the most skippable fights ever though. It's just a one chapter fight.

• OH. I'm not calling out what you just said, it was fine, but let's keep any material past the current episode in clearly marked spoiler tags. I'm sure many of us already know a lot of things that will happen later on, but I'd like to keep at least some surprises left.
  • edited April 2014
    Alright, I got ya. I'm sure many know the fights from the OVAs, but there are a lot of random stand fights that people have no idea about.
  • Spoiler:
    Jotaro laughing is why you can't skip Sun fight. I'm sure they'll adapt it well.
  • edited April 2014
    Spoiler:
    Jotaro laughing is why you can't skip Sun fight. I'm sure they'll adapt it well.
    Spoiler:

• It costs 30,000 yen to use this stand for 1 second.
  • edited July 2014
    I don't know who is worse, you or Paul.

This was my favorite part of the episode, JoJo is basically walking as if he wasn't carrying a human being at all. You can tell he's japanese because JoJo removed his shoes too.

Oh yeah, they're translating the sound effects now as well!
  • edited April 2014

YEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!
    I'm not sure how I feel about this OP. It's not as hyped up as part 1's, or as fabulous as part 2's. It's musou game music.

The ending bit with Star Platinum punching up the screen is pretty cool though.
  • I really like it. Still gets the blood pumping. Yeah, it isn't as fab as Part 2's, but on the other end I don't know of another opening that is as good as Jojo's this season.
  • edited April 2014

Demo's out on PSN

Feels like it tries to get the feeling of the dreamcast fighter but doesn't quite pull it off because it lacks those phantom combos with the stands though that would just destroy any non stand user, at the same time it is total fanservice in the presentation since just about every damn thing is pulled straight from the panels of the manga. Everything down the walk cycles, jumps, dodges, and crouch poses come right out of the manga.

Let down that Johnny Joestar isn't a demo character, I wanted to see how they handled him since he's paralyzed from the waist down without his stand reaching its final stage.

Found gameplay, he can't walk without his horse, he just crawls around without it or if you got Tusk level 3 he can teleport.

• The ending bit with Star Platinum punching up the screen is pretty cool though.
    That bit is so cool, but it doesn't have anyone screaming "Destiny of That Blood - JoJo!" which is a shame, but you can't have everything.

• edited April 2014

The ending bit with Star Platinum punching up the screen is pretty cool though.

That bit is so cool, but it doesn't have anyone screaming "Destiny of That Blood - JoJo!" which is a shame, but you can't have everything.

I think you mean "JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-JO!"

One thing that I never did find out, where are these other people getting their Stands? The Joestar line gets them because of Dio inhabiting Jonathan's body, and Vanilla Ice and Pet Shop got it from being turned into a vampire by Dio... but what about Kakyoin, Polnareff, D'Arby and Avdol?

I know there are stands later like Black Sabbath and White Snake who can just give the power to people, assuming they survive the process of obtaining one but was never really clear on how they got theirs to begin with.

• I think you mean "JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-JO!"
    Indeed. :D
  • I think you mean "JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-JO!"

One thing that I never did find out, where are these other people getting their Stands? The Joestar line gets them because of Dio inhabiting Jonathan's body, and Vanilla Ice and Pet Shop got it from being turned into a vampire by Dio... but what about Kakyoin, Polnareff, D'Arby and Avdol?

I know there are stands later like Black Sabbath and White Snake who can just give the power to people, assuming they survive the process of obtaining one but was never really clear on how they got theirs to begin with.
    In part 4 one method of giving stands to people is told and that was apparently used to give stands to the most of the part 3 villain cast. Also doesn't Avdol mention that his has always had the power of stand, so some people might just born with enough spiritual power to manifest stands without getting them from anywhere.
  • They go to a Vogue photo shoot. If their posing power is strong, they get a stand.

• Joseph's got a "Next you're gonna say..." for everyone.
  • Joseph's got a "Next you're gonna say..." for everyone.
    Yesssssssss.

• In all seriousness, though, Stardust Crusaders is my favorite part of JoJo. Is it worth going back and watching Part 1 and Part 2?
  • edited April 2014
    From my playings of the demo... I think I'm gonna pick this up. From the gameplay side it's in a weird place between CC2's normal stuff and Heritage, Capcom's fighter on the Dreamcast. They want it to play like that so much. But there is so much going on that's just a massive love letter to the series and the fans and there's so much attention to detail it shows that these guys loved making it and explains why they took twice as long making this as they do their other anime fighter stuff.

You have color palettes but everyone also has alternate costumes which come straight from the cover art or just bits where they wore something else. There is a costume/pose viewer mode.

Characters have special dialogues, poses, and even new abilities for their signature fights. Jotaro can activate his freeze time during ZA WARUDO and he's the only one who can mitigate the damage of the ROADO ROLLAH attack by freezing time and summoning Star Platinum. Special attacks in the game that were used to defeat certain characters get special animations against them, more often if they're used as finishers, like Jonathan trying to block Dio's eye lasers if it's the finishing blow, only for it to shoot through his arms like it did in the manga. Johnny's ultra against Valentine having him break through Love Train's barrier and has Tusk punching the shit out of D4C instead of the user as usual. Bunch of stuff like that.

Most if not all characters have a special taunt for Josuke regarding his hair, upon which he'll enter a rage mode giving him hyper armor.

Iggy is in, sadly as DLC but his alternate costume is his 80's OVA design and it even changes the final part of his specials. Biggest let down on the DLC bit(and to put it in perspective, this game released last summer in japan where they've been giving a character per month out since release) is that Old Joseph is DLC but fucking ACDC isn't. The only more pointless villain they could have tossed in was Jack the Ripper or Straights.

DLC list(for japan, I don't know how they're doing it here aside from the fact that Yoshikage Kira's first appearance with Sheer Heart Attack instead of Bites the Dust is a preorder bonus from the publisher's website)
    Old Joseph
    Iggy
    Lisa Lisa
    Vanilla Ice
    Yoshikage Kira
    Panacotta Fugo
    Anasui
    Shigekiyo
    Baoh

Since it's a Bamco publishing I'm just going to assume they'll simply throw all of the downloads on PSN at launch.

This game needs Diego Brando though, the Diosaur.
    He may have been the best Dio simply because his stand power was turning into a dinosaur and his stripes were his name repeated down the body. Also he can infect other people and things with dinosaurness.
  • Yes, How else will you understand it when Baron Zeppeli goes, "Nyoho~"? How!?
  • In all seriousness, though, Stardust Crusaders is my favorite part of JoJo. Is it worth going back and watching Part 1 and Part 2?
    I really like Part 2, it is where the real crazy starts to come out from Araki. Part 1 is probably the worst part. It gets crazy towards the end, but it is the weakest out of all the parts. It does have Speedwagon though.
  • edited April 2014
    As far as the manga goes I'm pretty partial to Steel Ball Run, the first part of the alternate universe set where Jonathan is a retired jockey due to being shot in the back and he's from Kentucky. It's also different from the others since for the majority of it Gyro Zepelli is more the protagonist than Johnny.

It has Oh Lonesome Me, Catch the Rainbow, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Cream Starter and Tusk, some of the more entertaining stands I've seen. The whole thing is set to the backdrop of a cross country horse race in post Civil War US and the villain is the President who has a stars and stripes scar across his back.

• Spoilerz dude.
  • It annoys me that they're still doing the DLC. Hopefully it will be free (It won't). Also it bothers me that they call it "Hamon" instead of Ripple as there is no reason for it but whatever. At least they didn't dub as fighters shouldn't have English voices.
  • Spoilerz dude.
    Sorry...
  • edited April 2014
    Best activation phrase ever, "Ham on!"
    (It's for making sandwiches)

Edit for great stands:
  • Hmm. He kind of looks like a sexed up version of Senbonzakura.
  • Name changes for part 2.

Santana -> Santviento
    AC/DC -> Esidisi
    Loggins -> Loggs
    Wham -> Wammu
    Cars -> Kars
  • Loggs is not even in the ballpark even though that's what his wife and closest friends call him.
  • Name changes for part 2.
    Santana -> Santviento
    That one is pretty rough.
  • They call him Loggs because of his log legs.
  • Esidisi, Wammu, and Kars are the official translations though. Also Straizo.
  • Loggs is not even in the ballpark even though that's what his wife and closest friends call him.
    If they were any closer, they would be in the...Danger Zone.
  • I'm surprised they changed Santana. Isn't that a pretty common surname?
  • edited April 2014
    Esidisi, Wammu, and Kars are the official translations though. Also Straizo.
    So to avoid copyright they've just spelled out the engrish pronunciation like they did Avdol. But they still do Robert E. O. Speedwagon.
  • IRL R.E.O Speedwagon is just happy to be included.