User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Final Fantasy XIV Because Seriously That Thread Was Getting Ridiculous

Comments

• We have an FC application from a YFI listener, let them in?
  • About 2hrs. ago Raubhan's wall finally started to crack. People on Saragantanas(Aether) are finally progressing.
  • There is a catchy mnemonic for red mages.
    "White mana then black, white mana and black, white mana and black, and then use gap closer~"
  • Yeah, it's slightly more complicated than BLM but not by much.
  • I'd say its a bit easier since RDM can be more mobile than a sentry turret.
    The cure they get adds amazing versatility too, it's not enough as a dedicated healer, but it still is a cure 1 or 2 in a single button press. That and paired with three emboldened samurai does add some disturbing ways to melt chunks off bosses. Honestly, the only weaknesses RDM has is their only mana recovery being the role skill and their auto attack capping into the double digits.
  • edited June 19
    Moreso I meant from a rotation perspective. BLM rotation is pretty simple since you can oftentimes boil it down to like 5 skills. But yeah RDM is definitely more versatile. For now I've decided to stick with that over BLM since that was only like 5 levels ahead and I had to grind out a couple levels to catch up on quest thresholds for Heavensward.

Also I have a rapier with a Unicorn head on it.

I do kinda wish that their mana gain was a bit faster. I like going through the melee skills but in mobs you can clear out 2-3 enemies getting to 80+ b/w mana then you get to use your melee for the end of the 4th dude.
  • edited June 23
    We locked eyes from across the bar...

Young lovers at heart.
  • Part 1 one Noclip's FF14 documentary is up.

• Sure, the new artifact gear looks good, but nobody is talking about how the ninja set is AMAZING with a pomp.
  • Yanki ninja
  • edited June 26
    Unless people trying to crunch numbers have made big mistakes there was weirdness going on with how the new stats were described, what they had meant by "role locked" in translation was that those stats only naturally appear on the equipment of that role but we're still free to meld it in.

Had a misunderstanding of some things. People are using the i270 augmented shire strength accessories on tanks because the job restrictions on them wasn't made retroactive for... some reason.
  • edited June 26
    Part 2 of Noclip's doc is up. The first part is kinda crazy. Specifically how candid Yoshi P is about the arrogance Square Enix displayed concerning the first version of the game. The bummer is that sort of higher management ignoring developers tends to be more common than it should be regardless of location. I'm curious to see how they actually pull it off because his initial plan seemed a bit spotty from a development standpoint, but obviously it worked in the long run so something went right.
  • It's pretty crazy. I'm surprised they even approved the second version of the game. Let alone this candid stuff, I feel like most JP devs this big would never talk so openly about failures.
  • Got tank current situation as I understand it.

WAR has to work way harder to get to the same place as PLD or DRK. Spammy Fell Cleave isn't actually that great because Holy Spirit and Bloodspiller also do that and don't need the stars to align just so to make it happen to full effect. Stance dancing hurts it the most out of all tanks.

DRK is best damaging main tank because their stacking stances cancel each other's damage buff/penalty entirely and has an instant cast Stoneskin on a 15 second cooldown tied to their new meter which makes it pretty solid support when it can't MT.

PLD is maintains fantastic mitigation when incoming damage has gone up, Requiescat and Fight or Flight together give it a lot of up time with damage bonuses.
  • I spent some time trying to figure out how to DRK. It took me a while to figure out that you can have Grit and Darkside active at the same time. I thought they were binary so I would try and switch between them and end up just activating both at the same time. I'm also trying to come to terms with how to just tank in general since you seem to be way more aware of the situation to do it effectively. Coming from DPS I'm not used to really having to concentrate on other things besides doing damage.

I want to test out running some lower level dungeons but I don't really want to go into a dungeon not knowing what I'm doing and annoy everyone else.
  • Yeah as someone who has only done dps I feel like I know when some one is tanking poorly but would have no clue how to actually do it myself and that stress would destroy me
  • Of course it's because I started with tanking and that's what I've done most, but I feel it to be least stressing. DPSes have longer more complicated rotations and damage is their whole thing, so I feel like I have to push to be as flawless as possible when I dps, and as a healer if I make a mistake people die. Tank's priority is to keep enemy hate and not die and those are pretty easy things to do. Of course dealing damage also is nice, but again easier rotations than on dps-jobs and less pressure on that front. Also, if I make a mistake with mechanics as a dps or healer, I just die, as a tank I can survive such mistakes.
  • Tanking for me feels like you have to have the most preknowledge of a situation for everyone else to have fun. If I'm not at the cutting edge and learning with everyone else, then I feel intense anxiety to tank for a group who's done this shit before and just wants to get done.
  • edited July 1
    Apsup said:

Of course it's because I started with tanking and that's what I've done most, but I feel it to be least stressing. DPSes have longer more complicated rotations and damage is their whole thing, so I feel like I have to push to be as flawless as possible when I dps, and as a healer if I make a mistake people die. Tank's priority is to keep enemy hate and not die and those are pretty easy things to do. Of course dealing damage also is nice, but again easier rotations than on dps-jobs and less pressure on that front. Also, if I make a mistake with mechanics as a dps or healer, I just die, as a tank I can survive such mistakes.

Caster rotations are pretty simple, other rotations are, at least to me, more complex. I messed around with Samurai a bit and I was starting to understand it but it just seemed like a lot of skills to rotate through. When I went through a bit or archer for the cross class skills it seemed alright at least at lower levels. It might get more complicated at higher levels. BLM and RDM are super easy IMO. RDM can sometimes get fiddily but it's mostly try and keep your procs up as much as possible then do one rotation of melee. They have a mob melee but I find it tends to not work as well as I expect because of the way corps a corps pulls you in. So I don't use it much.
  • A little insomnia and a little intoxication lead to a lot of laughs.
  • At least there wasn't a Dragoon there with their new "oh my god, did this fight have a tether mechanic, what should I do, let's run away" -skill.
  • That actually happened to me in the final story instance, resulting in a large number of people dead. The footage was...mysteriously lost. (<.<) = (>.>)
  • I've had so many people in pugs run away from me, I just want to do more damage...

At least my group's samurai loves me :(
  • Now you know why I stopped bothering with Cover :|
  • They should def change the way the buff ones look because admittedly when Coby put it on I got really confused and ran away.
  • Just gonna start marco'ing creepy things about not running away.

artist is @jexiska
  • This week in raptor mosh pit.

Also, welcome to Brynhildr Farm Tier.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157571392
  • Big Spoon is a pretty good name.

• It was actually 6, not 4.
  • I have absolutely no memory of this.
  • I just figured you could fill in Graz so we could figure it out from there, but it didn't end up mattering because his arms weren't targetable.
  • It's been reported that people are butthurt over the last boss difficulty.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/11/15954166/final-fantasy-14-stormblood-the-royal-menagerie
  • People need to stop making an effort in ruining fun content by not learning what this expansion's dungeons have been trying to teach them this whole time!
  • ThatGent said:

People need to stop making an effort in ruining fun content by not learning what this expansion's dungeons have been trying to teach them this whole time!

I was complaining about the ease of the dungeons and trials(non EX). I felt like they underestimating the skill of their player base. Then I got to TRM, and the difficulty felt perfect. I think my first clear was after two wipes. Only recently I have gotten a pug group where I didn't have to use LB3(as healer).
    Apparently they weren't overestimating us and people really don't like "challenge" or want an easy mode for everything.
    I know it must suck for solo dps players who have to wait 30+ minutes for the "end of the game". I've used my healer queue to several dps in my FC because they'd given up on duty/party finder. So, if people are solo or have unsupportive FCs I can see the grump (though the solution is pretty easy).
    I'm hoping this is a vocal minority I don't want this to be easier next time.
  • On another note, the 2 dps expansion was not the best planned out, but hey, if people want to pay 100k per queue to skip the timer, who am I to stop them from giving me their money?
  • That.... is a good idea.
  • I don't even get out of bed for less than 1m.
  • That was the first two weeks. Now everyone has a second 70, so market is competitive. It was a good idea to rush hunts early. I missed the days of 1/2 mil materia V.
  • edited July 15
    Come tuesday WAR's (and PLD) not losing gauge on stance change anymore, also Storm's Path getting a potency increase.

PLD - Holy Spirit getting a longer cast time.

DRK - Combo potencies increased, Dark Arts damage buffs increased, maybe a new effect on Quietus.

Tank accessories getting added Strength baked in, Tenacity effectiveness increased.

Black Mage - Fire and Blizzard 4 cast time reductions, Foul cost 0 MP, Triplecast cooldown going from 90 to 60 seconds.

DRG, MCH - Bunch of things, mostly damage up across the board.

SCH - Miasma 2 is back as a job skill, longer fairy tether, cooldown time reduction on Aetherflow.

Royal Menagerie won't be nerfed.
  • edited July 15
    Cybylt said:

Come tuesday WAR's not losing gauge on stance change anymore, also Storm's Path getting a potency increase.

This cool--though now I'm back on WAR envy for having their stance off GCD (and also having something to actually do with their job gauge half the time). Dunno about Storm's Path. At least for leveling dungeons, it's pretty convenient that your aggro combo is also your DPS combo (hence the change??? but I'm lazy like all good tanks are)
    PLD - Holy Spirit getting a longer cast time.
    Requiescat my fuckin' DICK with this change GTFO.
  • edited July 15
    In digging all these ninja nerfs though.
  • edited July 15
    Cybylt said:

SCH - Miasma 2 is back as a job skill, longer fairy tether, cooldown time reduction on Aetherflow.

Would have preferred another DoT but this is the next best thing. Giving us a whole ability back is kind of wild though, I was only expecting numbers adjustments. I don't think they'll do this but it would be cool if they could adjust Bio 2's duration to be closer to Miasma's. I only want it because it would make the rotation feel better.

Adjustment Details:
    Scholar
    ・Changed the cooldown of Emergency Tactics to 20 seconds.
    ・Indomitability [stay tuned]
    ・Strengthening Excogitation.
    ・ Aetherpact has been changed to increase Faerie Gauge even when Aetherflow actions does not inflict an effect on the target.

Excog is getting a buff like I expected, which I guess is just a straight potency buff. ET being reduced to 20 seconds is pretty great. I don't know what made them change it now but it'll definitely make a difference in AoE healing. I don't understand why Indomitability is being changed, it seems fine the way it is unless they want to change it into a spell.

---

This is good. I still want to see AoE and Cleave damage nullified for pets, but I'll take Sustain as the next best thing. Maybe these MP adjustments will make this not matter, but I'd like to see Adlo's cost brought back down. It currently costs an astounding 1800mp versus Succor's 2280, even though it's basically our Cure 2/Benefic 2. In fact, it costs almost twice as much as those spells. Even just 200 less mp would be a huge deal.

Please continue to unfuck Scholar, please.
  • Any clue how the 'In Need' cracked cluster bonus works? Is it only certain duties? I just did Trial, Guild, and 50/60 and didn't get any. I'm sure I got at least one yesterday and I didn't do Exparp. So maybe it's only for Leveling and/or Expert, but that seems like a weird split?
  • Fast search on it claims it's leveling only and you need to be level 60 or above. Not sure if it means that you get bonuses only from 60 to 70 dungeons, or if you just need to be on high enough level.
  • Booooo. I was hoping to start banging them out while Grade 6 Savage Might is still going for 150k.
  • Join A rank hunt groups. Each one has a reasonable chance to drop a cluster.
  • TOooooooooooo lazy.

I got 37 mil right now I never expect to spend on anything but the new house, I just figured I'd make some convenient drip cash while it was convenient and drippy.

I could also start charging people to skip queues but eh.
  • That cool 10 million is exactly what someone who hates gathering needs to get an otter with a tiny hat