User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

All-inclusive Games Thread

For things that wouldn't merit a thread on it's own.

First up:
It’s a collaboration by which Left 4 Dead 2 enemies will appear in the PC version of Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil 6 enemies will make their way into the PC version of Left 4 Dead 2. This content will be made available to owners of both games for free.

Resident Evil 6 on PC will add four survivors from Left 4 Dead 2—Coach, Nick, Ellis and Rochelle—as playable characters to its Mercenaries: No Mercy mode, which Capcom announced earlier in the year. Each character will have a customized weapon load-out for the game. Two L4D enemies—the Witch and Mini Tank—will make an appearance in this mode, too. The additional content will be automatically downloaded to the PC version of Resident Evil 6 starting April 5th.

Meanwhile, the PC version of Left 4 Dead 2 will get the Lepotitsa, Napad and Ogroman enemies from Resident Evil 6. All three enemies will be depicted in the game using Valve’s Steam Workshop tools. The enemies will be made available sometime this Spring.

Comments

• Mercenaries: No Mercy is an abominable title. That name is about as good as having a dog jump up on your table and take a big steaming shit right in the middle of your bowl of clam chowder.
  • edited March 2013
    Mercenaries: Nary A Mercy?
  • I just call it 'naries
  • edited March 2013
    Coach vs. the Dominant Strain Plaga and genetically modified superhumans!
  • edited March 2013
    Etrian Odyssey IV QR codes

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/images/bonus/GameStop Etrian Odyssey IV 3DS QR code promo 020613.pdf

Challenge the dense bushland hunt quest.

What are you going to do with your Yggdrasil Baton?

Keep on partying with this Juncto Hammer!

Think you’re skilled enough for the “approaching danger” quest?

“cramped nest hunt” quest

How about an Yggdrasil score for your pains?

Rafflesia Nectar

Third Eye Cloth: This item weakens an enemy’s striking power.

The Grand Court Banquet quest: (You need the Scarlet Pillars unlocked to play this.)
  • So the season pass for Injustice was announced today. 4 characters and Flashpoint costumes for $15. Not too bad given how expensive it is to add a new character to a fighting game.
  • Duck Tales HD remake. I can't wait! I loved this game.

• Teaching the children of tomorrow about the future that is Gizmoduck.
  • The beta for this is on the Japanese PSN. Super fun Gundam game I must say: http://www.siliconera.com/tag/gundam-breaker/
  • I am not terribly fond of Gundam Breaker. I find the combat to be stilted, and as I own Gundam Extreme Vs I'd rather play that as my gundam game.
  • Cane jump!
  • edited March 2013
  • "The mini tank"?
  • I am not terribly fond of Gundam Breaker. I find the combat to be stilted, and as I own Gundam Extreme Vs I'd rather play that as my gundam game.
    The only Gundam gave ive been playing on my PS3 is the Battle Ops, which has gotten to the point that I don't find it that fun since everyone plays 300000 hours a week on it and have souped up Zakus and Gelgoogs and you can only get the better MS when you play during a certain time period and IF your lucky enough to get a blueprint drop, which I find really dumb.

On a lighter note, my wish of playing Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2 and Initial D Arcade has been fulfilled at the local arcade. I am now reliving my high school years again, or the better part of them. And after 8 some years, my cards still work to my surprise. So ive got my Saturday planned out tomorrow.
  • edited March 2013
    Artwork for Onimusha Soul(it's a browser game), I guess that series is set in the warring states period? I'm not terribly familiar with them, I just know that the 3rd one had The Jean Reno in it. That's not really important right now, they're having a lot of female capcom characters guest star in them and Kay Faraday is one of them!

People:

Oni:

Genma:

• If you liked it, then you shoulda put an obi on it?
  • wait wait wait...is that some breath of fire I see?
  • Man, remember Breath if Fire? Those games were alright.
  • I remember enjoying 3 and 4. I wish 3 was on PSN.
  • edited March 2013
    2 was a good first half, I never got as far as the plant party member. 3 lets you turn into dragons, that's all that needs to be said.
  • edited March 2013
    I thought 4 was cool shit when it first came out. DRAGONHUMANS OMG SO COOOOOL

Actually its still kinda cool. But the story is sorta boring.
  • I think BoF 5 did some interesting things.
  • Unreliable narrators are awesome. The early bits of Dracula come to mind, where it's possible that Harker is becoming paranoid and the Count is simply an odd old man. I'm not sure if there're any games where it's been done really well though. It'd be pretty cool, though the interactivity of games seems like a barrier towards unreliability.
  • That's the thrust of the article. About the only game I can think of that pulls it off is the original Bioshock.
  • You are inadvertently leaving out Silent Hill 2, which I know is one of your favorite games.

Thinking back on it Dragon Age 2, which the article uses as its focal point, is probably one of the biggest reasons why I pretty much 100% ignore preview coverage these days. When talking about making the game they really made a big deal out of the frame narrative, saying that there would be multiple narrators telling varied storied of this epic figure, and the traits of the hero would change based on how the narrator perceived them. So Hawke would be more witty according to some, stronger according to others, etc. In what we ended up getting there was one narrator, barely any frame narrative to speak of, and it was only used well in a few moments (such as the tutorial). I liked Dragon Age 2 a lot more than most people did, but not having it be anywhere close to the preview expectations was a big bummer.
  • I had forgotten Silent Hill 2, which does it better than any of the ones we've mentioned, in my opinion. Dunno why it slipped my mind.
  • I had forgotten Silent Hill 2, which does it better than any of the ones we've mentioned, in my opinion. Dunno why it slipped my mind.

Konami Silent Hill 2. Japan: Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo, 2001
  • He forgot to properly cite his sources. Why else would he italicize the name like a dweeb?
  • edited March 2013
    lol
  • I do not agree with the premise that the "trick plot" is a gimmick and "does not necessarily deserve praise" because it does not use a generalized technique. I loved the narrative framing device of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. It was funny at game over screens, explained the revisions of gameplay continuity that losing entails, and provided an alternate jumpback point for the time travel story to resolve. It's also meaningful because it's a version of the main character with experience and perspective narrating a version of himself without those things. It does not get worse because it's only most interesting to experience "the first time," or that it doesn't put a technique in the toolbox that everyone else can steal.

The main focus of the article and its conclusion is more based on linearity vs. interactivity, the author makes a few points about unreliable narrators as a gimmick, and that it sometimes is misused and then makes a logical leap to say that this is simply smoke and mirrors to disguise what true video games should be about, which is player agency in the story.

A few points struck me as characteristic bias of the game critic. First, that if a game that is entertaining "the first time," that is inadequate is borne of the old replayability rubric in game reviews: hey, I paid $60 for this thing, it needs to be fun the fourth time through. Yeah, and if you know Rosebud is the sled, suddenly you can't notice anything from a second watching?

I understand and agree with the game design paradigm we have these days that what games provide over other media is interactivity. I do not concede that this always means a less linear story is better. A lot of game critics these days worship at the altar of player agency in the story, which is a technique that could be improved upon, but does not tell us if a game or its narrative are good.
  • With my understanding of what he was defining as a trick plot, I wasn't sure why he was including Sands of Time in that list.
  • He forgot to properly cite his sources. Why else would he italicize the name like a dweeb?
    Because it's proper grammar when talking about a work of fiction, dork. ;-p
  • With my understanding of what he was defining as a trick plot, I wasn't sure why he was including Sands of Time in that list.
    Yeah, time-travel is not the same as an unreliable narrator. Bad choice on his part.

• Look you actually defend using a typewriter. You are a little bit pretentious.
  • Using a typewriter is great. No pretension involved.
  • Typewriters are amazing, They make heavy clacking noises, satisfying impact sounds. They demand you never make a mistake, put in the paper slanted, and randomly ink jam. They're the single most perfect device known to man or machine!
  • Disney Infinity will take all my money :(
  • I thought that it would be good too but the fugly designs has me very hesitant. I'm probably still going to have to buy it when my daughter finds out about it though. Hopefully the impending Pokemon one is good.
  • Look you actually defend using a typewriter. You are a little bit pretentious.
    I really don't see the reason for this typewriter hate. Different writers prefer different environments. I know a lot of people who do all of their writing freehand because they feel that writing with fountain pen is immensely more personal and unique then writing on a machine. I've never written on a typewriter, but I can imagine a few advantages over a computer, such as not being able to waste time by switching over to check your email, then go to the forums and read all the updates. Also the clack of the keys.
  • edited July 2013
    I'm sorry, you'll have to explain those advantages to me again. It sounds like you're saying it's better as if removing agency on your own self-control is something worth a damn. Also you can just get a mechanical keyboard so I don't even know what you're on with that second point.
  • Theres nothing wrong with writing with a typewriter, I mean there are programs for writers that can block your internet access for a set time so its not more practical but it offers a different tactile experience, it may be aesthetically satisfying etc. BUT its also going to get you soundly made fun of, (all in good fun, ok maybe not in Nicks case) especially if your like "LOL HIPSTERS ARE DUMB but when I do something because I like the aesthetics of it, its different and not dumb." :D

• I don't do a lot of writing and I thrive on being able to go back and edit what I have written, but I can understand the value of deliberately limiting yourself. Making it harder to go back and edit means you spend less time fiddling over what you've already written and more time writing, which is sometimes exactly what you need. Bad for a final edit, but great when you really need to just keep writing. Drawing with a pen (instead of a pencil) is similar; you can't easily fix mistakes, so you end up training yourself to make fewer in the first place.
  • Mechanical keyboards.
  • edited March 2013
    It sounds like you're saying it's better as if removing agency on your own self-control is something worth a damn.
    it's almost like human brains are not perfectly logical machines or something

• look, I'm not saying Paul isn't a pretentious windbag with horrible views on movies and a M.O.M. who is infinitely cooler then him, I'm just saying that has nothing to do with with him using a typewriter.
    Yeah, he also puts Mass Effect on that list, along with a lot of other Bioware games that were really big on player agency. Yes, KotoR has a plot twist and an amnesiac hero. But if you're totally caught up on the concept of interactivity in narratives, how can you look at the crazy endgame shit that happens as a result of player choice and say, "Eh, it was only good the first time."
  • I'm sorry, you'll have to explain those advantages to me again. It sounds like you're saying it's better as if removing agency on your own self-control is something worth a damn. Also you can just get a mechanical keyboard so I don't even know what you're on on that second point.
    It is no different than writing in a notebook and then retyping. Hell, that can be even better because as you type into the computer you catch edits (not just spelling but in flow) and make it better. There have been plenty of times when I have to walk away from the computer screen, because of the internet distractions or the screen is hurting my eyes, and go write in a notebook. At the end of the day, most of us writers have what's seen as eccentric actions. If it helps our creative juices then so be it.

Another great thing about having a hard copy first draft from a typewriter or notebook, if there is a piece that does not fit the current project we can't just hit select all and delete it. I've come across many scribbles of things I decided did not work for it's original piece but was perfect for something else. If I was on the computer it would have been lost because it would have just been deleted.