User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Kickstarter that shit

Comments

• I know Anita IRL. She always disables comments because they're always abusive. The only reason she left them on for the Kickstarter video was because she knew people would prove her point. And they did.
  • I wonder if she is going to cover games like Final Fantasy 6, Parasite Eve and the latest Tomb Raider games (Dino Crisis had a female protagonist also IIRC). I am loving the heck out of the new Tomb Raider, and im glad Crystal Dynamics went with a different route on Lara's character.
  • I'm hoping so... I helped come up with the massive list of games with female protagonists or ensemble games that had females in starring roles. Those are definitely all on the list, but I dunno if they actually made the cut or not?
  • I think I saw somewhere that episode 11 or so is slated for "games that did it right", more or less.
  • So its going to be 3/4 about silent hill 3?
  • I was thinking Tetris, which is an extended metaphor for the patriarchy and the struggles of a revolutionary underclass. That you are always being boxed in by a variety of repetitive shapes represents the persistent social blocs that oppose you at different times and in different ways, and only through quick thinking can you prevent them from obstructing your path and, eventually, heroically put their assaults behind you. And note how with each successive victory, your struggle becomes harder, facing more opposition in a shorter time frame. It's the difference between wearing pants and fighting for reproductive rights.

Tetris is the women's movement.
  • Hey everyone, looking for some Kickstarter feedback/opinions here. It looks like we're going to have to do a Kickstarter for the anthology I'm putting together, Skin Crawling Comics. What I'm wondering is what would you all like to see as some of the rewards besides the standard copies of books and commissions from the artists.
    Thanks in advance!
  • Hey everyone, looking for some Kickstarter feedback/opinions here. It looks like we're going to have to do a Kickstarter for the anthology I'm putting together, Skin Crawling Comics. What I'm wondering is what would you all like to see as some of the rewards besides the standard copies of books and commissions from the artists.
    Thanks in advance!
    I like a poster or nice print to hang up as a reward option. On the lower end stickers are easy to get made + mail and I am always interested in cool designs to plaster on my things.
  • I would avoid anything that you have to ship. The logistics could prove nightmarish.
  • What about a Men of Fast Karate Swimsuit calendar? I am sure some of us would be willing to pose to help your kickstarter.
  • I can get on the machine for a few months for the cause. Should our theme be Jojo's or Hokuto No Ken?
  • edited March 2013
    Just name the theme "Manly Tears" and do both.
  • Shawn Elliott on people going crazy over the Tropes Vs. Women kickstarter -
    Sexism and insecurity explain some of the attacks on @femfreq. I suspect the rest stems from the fact that for many enthusiasts, the only familiar methods of talking about videogames are forums and reviews that speak to not to thinking conversation partners but to potential consumers.

The tradition of academic cultural criticism is unknown to them entirely, and not knowing what to make of it, they engage it the one way they know how. It's a case of people speaking different languages but confusing the two since, superficially, they sound alike. So just as they circle wagons and ready themselves for war when a review score doesn't speak to their experience or expectation, they confuse constructive critical dialog with a simple assessment of merit.

Which is why they fear that Sarkeesian intends to invalidate their interests whereas anyone with a liberal arts education understands that, to the contrary, she stands to enhance their value by taking them seriously. Bridging that language barrier is important, and more so when your audience is as broad as this one.
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l8jvfr

• I was thinking more something like Dave with his goods covered by nothing more a shawarma.
  • edited March 2013
    I have difficulty seeing any merit in a one sided conversation that does nothing more than preach to the choir.

Also anyone else enjoying the fact that Sarkeesian received a large part of her money because she was being criticized and harassed, and then made her first video about is critical of the same damsel in distress act that she pulled?
  • She didn't pull any act and asked for less than $10k. She wasn't criticized but outright harassed and people voted against that bullying bullshit with their money.
  • edited March 2013
    I would say that "making a flash game where you brutally beat in the face of someone you dislike" does not fall under the umbrella of "criticism"

The idea that she "pulled" something is a really pernicious lie. If a person asks for money for X, and then people give them more money for X than expected, that's not "pulling" something.

Now, the Tropes vs. Men guys who did a fundraiser in response to hers, promised it all to charity, barely got $3000, then disappeared with the money. THEY pulled something. :D
  • I misspoke with that last bit.
  • edited March 2013
    Eh, the only issue I have with her video is that she sets aside a few points about some games to keep on her point, best example being Double Dragon Neon. That and her video is designed to invoke a feeling of ire towards the subject matter.
    While I don't browse the internet to get mad at things, it was at least an interesting watch for a video with an angle.

At least people can come out from it with some neat classic games to look up.
    Also was Pauletina really a Damsel, I thought she was just some goddess that judged your poor performance and frequent deaths at the end of the game?
  • Yea, as I was watching the video, I seemed to kinda get defensive on the inside saying "OH HOW DARE SHE MAKE FUN OF A FUN GAME THAT EVERYONE ELSE LIKES." But her statements are kinda "matter of fact" like and her attitude and demeanor on the subject wasn't in anyway negative to the game as a whole, but to exploit one part of it.

I realized that and went, "I bet she would like/has liked these games, but her argument is a good one." And the games I mentioned if she will cover are games I actually like playing, that have female main roles in them.

Violent Storm has my attention as a game I gotta play on an emulator.
  • She said she grew up on quite a few of the games that she's criticizing, and I don't think she's saying they are terrible games.
  • edited March 2013
    The most revealing thing about this whole ordeal is the sheer number of people who unable to separate "this thing you like has issues" from "this thing you like is unmitigated shit and should be burnt."

Which is just something we've been trying to get across for, like, eight years or so of podcasts now, but whateverrrrrrrrr... >.>
  • Damsel in distress act that she pulled? Wow. You are a dick.
  • I watched the episode and my only complaint is there's not all that much reason for it to be a video. I mean the majority of it is static camera of a single taking head. At 30 minutes long it could use a little extra energy. Maybe even another voice.
  • That was mine and Graz's problem with it too. It'd be as simple as combining the cut-aways to game footage with her voice over.
  • What about a Men of Fast Karate Swimsuit calendar? I am sure some of us would be willing to pose to help your kickstarter.
    Ahaha! While I appreciate that, I think we'd have to have a Kickstarter for that reward to print the calendars. But you clearly know me, because manass = hellz yes.

Nice prints and stickers, gotcha guys. I wish we didn't have to do mailed out rewards but kinda have to to get the books out. One thing I learned from Renae De Liz on the Womanthology Kickstarter, factor in a percentage for shipping!

We're playing with the idea of some "wacky" higher tiered stuff. Like $500 and one of the FL contributors will go to Epcot with you, $100 and one of our writers that is also a podcaster will do an episode on your choice of subject.

Thanks guys and gals. :D

• Just name the theme "Manly Tears" and do both.
    Yes. I think you guys might have to do this now. You got a pre-sale right here.

• When I hear "manly tears," I can only think of Crying Freeman.
  • http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/monolith-the-greatest-joke-the-universe-ever-told?c=home

One of my friends from high school wrote a science fiction book. I don't really know much about it but I can vouch he usually has good/interesting ideas for plot narratives.
  • I am going to fund this, only because I remember how awesome Season 1 was and I forget how terrible Season 3.
    The most revealing thing about this whole ordeal is the sheer number of people who unable to separate "this thing you like has issues" from "this thing you like is unmitigated shit and should be burnt."
    The thing is, this happens to everyone, including academics. We have a lot more scholars now who self-identify as fans, and a keen awareness of the social justice movement, people get personally invested. While before, a scholar would vigorously and (theoretically) more dispassionately analyze an opposing viewpoint, now we have people whose personal identities as fans are tied up with Buffy being pro-feminist. And the second someone shows up with criticism of "Here's a paper outlining the ways that I think Buffy is anti-feminist" then people (this is professors and grad students, people who should "know better") there's the unstated implication that "this work is sexist" leads to "this work is harmful" or "in liking it, you are Part Of The Problem."

Now, I understand scholars have been getting up in arms about trivial disagreements long before media studies was a discipline and "aca-fan" was a (stupid) word.
  • edited March 2013
    In academics there is usually actual discussion. I've had a Romantics professor that adored Wordsworth that got visibly upset when I off-hand mentioned that I didn't like him because he wanted to bone his sister. We ended up in a discussion on his writing style and what we each found appealing or disliked about it (it wasn't just the sister boning).

If that had taken place on the internet I believe the response would've been, "FUCK YOU BEING AGAINST INCEST! IT'S JUST WRITING SO IT'S OK!" Also, I'm aware I may have just compared Wordsworth to things like Koi Kaze, and I am forever sorry.
  • ITS ALL JUST NERDS MAN LIGHT UP A FAT DOOB AND TOSS ON SOME BOB MARLEY
  • RACIST!!!!
  • Seems like a great idea but I jsut dont see myself wearing any of those socks.
  • edited March 2013
    thanks for the comprehensive collection of terrible arguments!

We've got "What, I'm not allowed to want to protect the people I love?", we've got "you wear makeup therefore you can't be a feminist!" we've got "if you don't like these games so much why don't you make your own game?", we've got "men get killed all the time in games and you don't see me complaining!", we've got "sexism sells, deal with it!" AND MANY MORE! COME ON DOWN TO THE SHITTY REBUTTAL WAREHOUSE!
  • I dream of an internet world where everyone quotes better.

I guess it's not worth wasting time responding to the video.
  • I can't stop noticing the hoop earrings now.
  • edited March 2013
    Ew what is happening that is terrible. What is it doing here.
    Pretty good summary davedave. Blech.
  • This is shit. Imbeciles.
  • Also, hoop earrings are awesome.
  • edited March 2013
    If I had them I'd be super scared of them catching on things.
  • edited March 2013
    ^^ Agreed.
  • If I had them I'd be super scared of them catching on things.
    I've watched them tear out part of someone's ear, it wasn't pretty.
  • All this video entails is the disassembling of one her weaker arguments in which she didn't fully address.
    And I agreed with it, at least until it stopped being about the argument and went on to be an attack campaign.

Although, there is some good to come from all these videos.
    Imagine if Double Dragon Neon had street thugs punching a football in the stomach then carrying it away. We could rebrand Double Dragon as Eyeshield 21! It'll sell Trillions!
  • edited March 2013
    Maybe she only has one pair of earrings.

• Yea... that side of the argument was bound to happen. Except this guy used REAL RESEARCH like STAR TREK and WIKIPEDIA to state his stance, he MUST KNOW WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT. I guess that's what you can do on a tight budget.

I did see his argument about how men could take her damsel in distress view as a way of "oh, so I should just let my girl figure out how to get out on her own instead of helping her," when its really her saying "hey, this same ol'- same ol' has been going on for far too long, we need to do something about it."