User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Master List of Books

Comments

• I prefer the audio format now and most of the books we've had aren't available that way. So sad. Lets me consume a book while I'm doing my mind numbing job. Multitasking is awesome. I think the ebook format is awesome as well though. I'm the type who would collect a stack of books I didn't want around and would donate them to the library. Now, I don't even have to bother. I just wish there was a way to share bookmarks between my phone and my nook. For those times when I don't have the bigger reader with me.
  • Yeeah, carrying around those six books in Europe, bad idea. Ugh.
  • Yeah, if you don't mind e-book formats, that's a good way to go for price. I'm one of those book collecting fools.
    I think I will always buy books. I'm a victim of images of victorian libraries. I want a whole room in my house to have floor to ceiling built in shelves filled with books.
  • I feel the same way, Joel. Having a library room with a stuffed red velvet chair and dimmed lighting augmented by a chair-side reading lamp, that's on my list of crazy dreams.
  • Quit mentioning cool things that give me awesome mental pictures. Its bad for my wallet.
  • I think that we'll be shocked by how quickly books become an expensive luxury item.

It'll be like horses. It used to be that everyone rode a horse, unless they walked. Then the car showed up. Very soon, using a horse as your main mode of transport meant that you were either very rich or dirt poor. And soon after that, horses stopped being anything but toys.

In the world I see, all books are coffee-table books.
  • Having grown up in a house where entire floors were devoted to books in the manner you guys specify, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Mostly I just fought for shelf space.

Now I live in a one room apartment with space for exactly one bookshelf. I say fuck books, fuck comics, fuck videogame boxes. Anything that can be digital I want digital.
  • I've been interested in reading the Devil in the White City because serial killers fascinate me and the book club would give me a reason to.
  • Liking the suggestions. I'll add them all to the list before too long.

Dave, the space issue is definitely a consideration, as is mobility, if being mobile is your thing. In Ohio, there's space enough for everything and more. I call my apartment a squatter's hovel only because it needs some serious maintenance and, thanks to the financial crisis, the old landlord fled the state, meaning there's no rent to pay. All the same, it's like 900 square feet, has a back yard, free street parking right out front, a parking lot in the back, free trash and water/sewage, and two bedrooms. Aside from the nightly gunshots, it's actually not bad. The Midwest definitely spoils you as far as space is concerned.
  • I would agree with that last sentence.
  • So, basically, you stay there long enough with no landlord and you're gonna own the place? :D

I hope Altered Carbon comes up at some point, even though that's a weird choice for a book club book. I'd like to see some discussion on it. I'm reading the third book in the series, but I've never been 100% positive on it.
  • You've mentioned wanting it chosen before, so I'll likely rig the RNG for November and just make it the book already. Why not?
  • Eh, don't rush. I scanned the thread to make sure I wasn't repeating myself, but I guess I didn't do a very good job. If you guys just read some other sci-fi book last month it might not be great to double up.
  • No, I want to see if the riley luck will hold out. Run the numbers!
  • Need or greed?!
  • Do we have a thread yet for Name of the Wind? I got my copy a few days ago. Sadly it was the Favio cover :(

• Sorry, in Cleveland and my only intertubes access has been through my phone. Putting it up now.
    this should be used to choose the next book
  • edited October 2011
    I just realized there's no Chronicles of Narnia on that list. I woulda thought they'd at least throw The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe in there.
  • November's book is Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. Go, consume!
  • Any of the 13 Oz books that come after the Wizard of Oz are pretty fucking bizarre. I could talk for hours about them. There's the Marvelous Land of Oz, where the chief villains of the story are an army of suffragettes, or the Road to Oz, which probably contains the worst message to children ever. Dorothy gets to Oz by following a stranger who asks her the way to Butterfield. It gets even creepier than that, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Also, the Oz books are public domain and therefor free online and available on your Kindle.
  • The tin man's origin is pretty nuts.
  • Propose two of the best and I shall add them to the list. Thirteen at once would be a bit too much.
  • Ah that chart was fun. I used to read Piers Anthony. So punny. I totally forgot about the Xanth novels until now. =)
  • I never really looked at that chart. I'm proud of myself for having read more of those than I expected. Though, they should add a star to Dune and say ONLY read the Frank Herbert ones... I hate myself for succumbing to curiosity and reading the Brian Herbert "ending".

I also got a kick out of the Lord of The Rings branch of the chart.
  • edited December 2011
    Propose two of the best and I shall add them to the list. Thirteen at once would be a bit too much.
    I would not recommend ever reading the 13 books back to back. L. Frank Baum is one of the earliest fantasy writers to create a shared universe fantasy series, and continuity is not his strong suit. If comic book retcons piss you off, you will not be able to handle the entire series in a short period of time.

And if we're defining "good" as a fascinating carwreck of crazy,

The Marvelous Land of Oz
    Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz
    The Road to Oz
    and The Tin Woodman of Oz

are top picks. The Tin Woodman book is probably the most unsettling, but it also contains a lot of continuity with other books. The Road to Oz has its continuity moments, too. So of those four, the first two would make the best entry points into the Oz "extended universe."

• January's a-coming. I'm planning on reading Tokyo Vice (I vaguely recall Joel mentioning this one) in the not too distant future.
  • Want me to add it to the list?

Speakin' of January, the maths tell me that Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum is our next book. Title thread will go up in due time.
  • Yeah, Tokyo Vice might be a good addition.

Looking forward to some Eco.
  • I liked Tokyo Vice a real lot, but it is completely depressing (as is to be expected).
  • I got Tokyo Vice from my library awhile ago, but never actually started it, so I guess I'll have to do that. Also, Foucault's Pendulum is fantastic, and good that there will finally be a book discussed I've actually read/had time to read. I'd recommend some Haruki Murakami too; "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End Of the World", "Underground", and his latest "IQ84" should be good discussion fodder. And what the hell, I'll recommend one of my personal favorite books, "The Man Who Was Thursday" by GK Chesterton.
  • Can I add to suggestions?

I'd like to put forward either (or both) David Foster Wallace's Oblivion (a collection of short stories)

Or his incomplete posthumously published The Pale King, which I have just started reading. So far it is incredible.
  • Sure. Let me update the list with the (last few) suggestions. I'm way too busy getting fat on cookies and stir fry these days, I swear.
  • Well I'm getting fat on Skim Flat Whites. Go figure.

A warning: The Pale King features 15-page length paragraphs on boredom, insecurities, and reflections.
  • It's David Foster Wallace. His name functions as its own disclaimer.
  • Unless there're some guidelines preventing it, I'd like to suggest Catch-22, seeing how that and Candide are the only books I've read of my own volition in the last five or so years.
  • Oh so true. Which is why I put forward his short stories because at least he can be consumed in bite sized portions.
  • Unless there're some guidelines preventing it, I'd like to suggest Catch-22
    I was going to put that forward but I didn't want to appear greedy or cliched. My favorite novel ever. I re-read this every two years or so.
  • It's way up there for me, too. I wish it were feasible to do more than one book a month, 'cause once these suggestions get rolling, we end up with another year's worth of reading in three posts.
  • Well, there's also a lot of duplicate authors. I think seeing how well one of their books holds up might influence the possibility of reading another one.
  • Indeed. Also, I'm interested in doing some follow-through on series we like. For example, I know both Joel and I own Wise Man's Fear, and a few of you guys have bought/read it, too. That'd be ripe for podcastin' times, I think, so I figure it'll get factored in one way or another.
  • I'd like to suggest Kevin Hearn's "Hounded", "Hexed", and "Hammered". It's geek modern day fantasy pron with fun romps lots of action and geek references and good fun. It follows the last druid and his interaction with dieties and the culture clash with the modern world and old school dieties along with run ins with territorial witches and vampires and the like. It's pretty reminicent of the Dresden files but far less whinny and emotional. There's rage during a fight but nothing more than necesary and a good deal of comedy, and of course there are puns, lots of the them. I grinned like an idiot from start to finish and the books are pretty short and there is no filler really. Get in, have a good time, and get out. It's kind of like a hooker that way. Since I paid about 10 bucks for the books on audiible it's a cheap thrill at that. Totally worth it I think you guys would enjoy it for some mindless fun.
  • edited January 2012
    "lots of geek references" can get really tiring after not very long. This is not fucking Family Guy. This is reading books. If you want Family Guy go buy it on DVD.
  • I feel that way even about overuse of product names in books. He looked this up on YOUTUBE using GOOGLE with his IPOD.
  • I guess I just don't have enough experience with those phenomena to know that I hate them. The product reference thing in particular sounds awful.
  • It's pretty reminicent of the Dresden files but far less whinny and emotional.
    Brony Freudian slip?

But seriously, I think I'm done with the Dresden files. Got through one and a quarter of the books, just tired of it. The breaking point was when Molly, stock rebellious teen sidekick attempts to use ESP to relive the last moments of a corpse, and just has a spontaneous orgasm on the floor as nerd medical examiner and nerd wizard look on. Honestly, I'll try anything else, even straight-up shameless stuff like Anita Blake would be better; it's the thin veneer of respectability that bothers me. Dresden files is the adolescent moe harem show of the fantasy genre. There, I said it.

I could've given that Kevin Hearn series a chance, but honestly, the puns are probably more of a dealbreaker than anything else.
  • ps forget diety, they don't do much. try exercisey, it works a lot better.
  • I wish I could have ESP spontaneous orgasms. :/
  • You mean you've lived all these years without that ability? Dave, I'm so sorry. I never knew.
  • I wish I could have ESP spontaneous orgasms. :/
    Just show up in the morgue and start rubbing corpses, that's what she did in the book.