User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.

Current events

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Aside from Enterprise having by far the best Star Trek intro, it was most certainly better than Voyager. Thanks to its shortness it didn't have time to accumulate more shitty episodes like Voyager did, and it has the less annoying cast.

Also, Scott Bakula.
  • Ehhhh, I'll give you the less time time to accrue the sheer number of shitty episodes, and Scott Bakula, even if Archer was a shittily written character most of the time (though still marginally better than Janeway).
  • http://news.yahoo.com/climate-scientists-solved-riddle-rising-sea-172928909.html

Rising sea levels linked to unsustainable human activity--but not global warming. Everybody wins!

Getter: That's probably part of why everyone remembers "Firefly" so fondly. It didn't have a "Buffy after season three" or "X-Files after the fourth year".
  • edited May 2012
    The problems attributed to Captain Archer are better understood when you know the truth. The truth is that he's actually Dr. Sam Beckett and has finally stopped leaping, but now that he's stuck he needs to learn about this future world, every aspect of Archer's life, and being a captain.
  • That's pretty misleading, RB.

"In its landmark 2007 report, the UN's Nobel-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) ascribed 1.1mm (0.04 inches) per year to thermal expansion of the oceans -- water expands when it is heated -- and to meltwater from glaciers, icecaps and the Greenland and Antarctica icecaps.

That left 0.7mm (0.03 inches) per year unaccounted for."
  • I still hate my high school nurse for screwing up and forcing me to get an extra booster shot I didn't need. I can only hope this one gets some jail time... http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Nurse-refuses-student-inhaler-during-asthma-attack/-/1637132/13560430/-/wm13uaz/-/index.html
  • OH MY GOD who wrote that asthma article?! I'm way more upset about how poorly it was written.
  • First and foremost the story originates in Florida so what do you expect, but more importantly the penalty for administering unauthorized medication is probably worse than doing nothing.
  • It depends on if that nurse has ever given that student asthma medicine in the past. If she has, I don't think she can hide behind "well it's school policy..."
  • And this one is for Codger: Chinese couple bury woman alive.

America would be better off if we just followed their ways. Think of how much we'd save on medicare if we just buried old people alive.
  • Well rich people are just arsehole, no matter where they come from.
  • edited May 2012
    I think that was less about them being rich and more about them wanting to avoid consequences rather than doing the right thing.
  • edited May 2012
    Because of their new found wealth and not wanting to loss it by going to prison. But that happens everywhere, heck whole TV shows are based on that premise.
  • This may be a stretch, but I'm pretty sure that poor people don't want to go to prison either.
  • But they have less to loss and it doesn't make interesting drama.

Also this happened,

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/24/3041662/38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff
  • Lose. I hate being a grammar douchebag but you're killing me. It's lose.
  • The funny/awful thing about the 38 Studios thing is that Curt Schilling is a huge anti-government dickhole who hates handouts, but doesn't seem to mind government when it's giving him a $75 million dollar loan.
  • I love being a grammar douchebag. I get paid for it.
  • Maybe in Australia they have wrong grammar?
  • Hey, at least we spell things correctly!

Colour, programme and centre
  • Dragon successfully grappled and brought into dock!
  • edited May 2012
    Dang. Space robots have arrived.

Edit: Or are you more excited that it was a privately built satellite?

Edit: Edit: As a rocket scientist, you are obliged to tell me how to feel about this!!
  • I think it's great, because most of NASA's best research happened when they rented (or bought) a vehicle used by the private industry. It's like the difference between buying a computer off the shelf so you can write a book, and building your own computer factory to make the computer you'll use to write the book. So the idea of a private company that is able to conduct its own spaceflight

That said, it's not like they didn't use NASA and DoD space-tracking and -communications facilities for a lot of the flight. So there are still ways that government involvement was critical. But that's okay, because it's more like Air Traffic Control and less like basic research.
  • Jay Smooth doesn't want you to worry about white babies being outnumbered by non-white babies.

• Maybe in Australia they have wrong grammar?

Not in my part of Oz.
  • xenomouse said:

Jay Smooth doesn't want you to worry about white babies being outnumbered by non-white babies.

That's not true, When we get into power the first thing we are going to do is eat ALL of the mayonaise...ALL OF IT.
  • No! Not my mayonaises! I was eating those!
  • I thought only white people liked mayonnaise...
  • I thought only white people could afford hating mayonnaise.
  • I've never eaten mayonnaise before. I've always just assumed it's disgusting,
  • I've never read what you have posted before. I've always assumed it's stupid.
  • It's white looking goop. How is that appealing to a kid?
  • Wait till you them it's made from egg whites and oil!
  • Screw you guys, I like mayo.
  • It's the base of about 90% of the things I eat.
  • I have always hated mayo.
  • God said:

It's white looking goop. How is that appealing to a kid?

Since when is goop not appealing to a kid? Not to say mayo isn't one of the nastiest things ever invented by a supposedly intelligent race.
  • I don't know why you people like being wrong, mayo is great. It's the second best topping on a cheeseburger, only behind ketchup, and when combined they are amazing.
  • I'd like to nominate a sunny side up egg (with the yolk a little runny) as a burger topping. I have tried this, and it is good.
  • I'd also nominate that, just with the yolk cooked more. It feels like I'm eating snot when the yolk is even the tiniest bit runny.
  • edited May 2012
    ^^^

I think combining them is the only way to consume ketchup, I use that same mix on pasta instead of Ragu sauce.
  • Condiments should not go on burgers, but I'm for adding a nice lump of scrabbled eggs and bacon to it.

I've never had a sunny side up egg before. They've scared me for some reason.

Since when is goop not appealing to a kid? Not to say mayo isn't one of the nastiest things ever invented by a supposedly intelligent race.

It just seems unnatural. I've never had cream cheese, cottage cheese, or sour cream for the same reasons.

• kaazuwulf said:

I've never read what you have posted before. I've always assumed it's stupid.

• edited May 2012
    Mayo and sour cream are essential. Mayo is great cause of burgers/sandwiches/egg salad, and sour cream for all varieties of dip, mexican food, and white chili. To never have either sounds like a crime, and saying it's unnatural includes like 90% of all food you can get in America.
  • I agree with you on the mayo but sour cream is not ubiquitous enough to assume that everyone's tried it. I've been meaning to try it but everything that it goes with I can think of a better alternative (like potatoes and chips).
  • Have you never had a taco? I can't imagine one without sour cream.