User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Current events

Comments

• Debates about presidential authority and the War Powers Act and all that, they'll never end. It's like seriously positing that "rules of war" exist. It's laughable, a thin sheet thrown over a bull elephant in an attempt to hide it. I'll say, I'm deeply disappointed in Obama for making the Libyan decision. Granted, Libyans have about as much respect for Ghaddafi as most people do shitty bosses: you hate them, but you try to keep them placated so they don't fire you. I have a hard time connecting the dots from their lack of glowingly positive sentiment to us launching cruise missiles and jets, but I suppose that's why I'm wasting away in central Ohio while the world happens.

And yes, in light of things, Biden looks like a twat. Go figure. Politicians are experts at jamming their heads up their own asses, then smiling and making it seem both intentional and a reflection of their keen foresight/good character/other platitudinous bullshit.
  • I thought all Americans could see past partisan politics and unite behind our common love of bombing the shit out of foreign countries. It saddens me to see that even our proudest traditions are not enough to bind us together anymore.
  • GodGod
    edited March 2011
    The Daily Show had a nice little thing on the situation Monday night

Sorry non-Americans if you're not able to view this. I'm sorry that you don't live in the best country in the world.
  • What amazes me is that there's been so little discussion of Clinton and Kosovo.

Jesus, this is like the 1990s all over again. We had a previous Republican president who invaded Iraq, but was run out of town on a rail following a domestic economic collapse. His extremely-popular Democratic replacement faffed around with health care for a while, then sent the Air Force to bomb a Muslim country at the behest of the UN.
  • I still remember one of my foreign policy classes opening with this question: "How many of you kids know we fought a war in Yugoslavia in the late 1990s?"

Maybe three hands went up. It was pathetic.
  • Hooray Newspeak.

We've always been at war with Eastasia!
  • Did Yugoslavia even count as a war? I thought NATO just bombed the crap out of their infrastructure and then the UN took over. Not that it's any better than a war.
  • Europe wanted to handle it alone at first, but things escalated, so NATO and thus the US came in and conducted strategic bombing campaigns. We had people die there, and we killed people there; if it's not a "war" in the traditional sense, it's goddamn well close enough for me. International military intervention may be the more appropriate phrase, but your final comment is the crux of it: "Not that it's any better than a war."
  • As a related sort of discussion, when is military intervention in the affairs of another nation acceptable?
  • How about when Vietnam invaded Cambodia to end Khmer Rouge rule.
  • As an atheist who has studied Arabic, am I in line for summary execution? I could write reams in response to this sort of nonsense, but it's not worth the effort. It's all been said before. Hell, even that phrase is an REM quote.
  • Oh no, not the Islamic Atheists!

It's notable that was within the SAME SENTENCE. Not like a minute later he complained about radical Islamists... A FEW WORDS LATER. That's bringing absolute fucking nonsense to an entirely new level. He might as well be saying, "I fear white people who aren't like me, but I'm also afraid of brown people who aren't like me!"

The fact people support this asshole scares me.
  • Do they fear Islamic Atheist who kill people in the name of their god they don't believe in?
  • Upon reflection, I can't tell if this means these folks are afraid of people with schizophrenia or if they are themselves afflicted by it.
  • The fact people support this asshole scares me.
    You know who else was supported by people?

Hitler.

• The fact people support this asshole scares me.

You know who else was supported by people?

Hitler.

Doesn't make it any less scary. It was scary people supported Hitler. Still is.
  • RB, I have been saying the same thing. Why is everyone forgot about Clinton blowing the fuck out of brown people? Remember when we were all talking how funny it was that not long after Wag the Dog came out we had Clinton scandal to ignore airstirking the living fuck out of third world countries?
  • What amazes me is that there's been so little discussion of Clinton and Kosovo.

Jesus, this is like the 1990s all over again. We had a previous Republican president who invaded Iraq, but was run out of town on a rail following a domestic economic collapse. His extremely-popular Democratic replacement faffed around with health care for a while, then sent the Air Force to bomb a Muslim country at the behest of the UN.
    What amazes me is that there's been so little discussion of Reagan and Grenada.

What amazes me is that there's been so little discussion of Jackson and Florida.

What amazes ME is people who continuously play the unpopular victim card. "Our guy did this and got shit from everyone! This guy does it and nobody is angry at him. I mean, sure, like everyone is talking about it and stuff, but we had it worse. We always do!"
  • People continuously play the "unpopular victim" card because it exposes the team-jersey nature of so much of popular political discourse. If (thing) was awful when (Republican) did it, then why isn't it awful when (Democrat) does it?
    Remember when we were all talking how funny it was that not long after Wag the Dog came out we had Clinton scandal to ignore airstirking the living fuck out of third world countries?
    Yeah; remember how Clinton ordered the Navy to launch cruise missiles at Afghanistan with no warning, no UN resolution, no Congressional request...I mean, yes, there's a clear difference of scale, but it's not like George Bush (or Republicans in general) were the only Presidents who took unilateral military action.
  • This is going to sound simplistic, but I am on a telephone and in a meeting: The sad and plain fact is that "rules of war" do not actually exist. War is the final recourse when such structures fail. To say it can be governed is to deceive yourself.
  • People continuously play the "unpopular victim" card because it exposes the team-jersey nature of so much of popular political discourse. If (thing) was awful when (Republican) did it, then why isn't it awful when (Democrat) does it?
    Our conversation simplifies things to such a "team-jersey nature", but it doesn't seem that the reality of the situation is this way. I guess we're sort of misrepresenting ourselves and others when we speak. I mean, people identify as Democrat, Republican, whatever, but it seems people are less concerned with the philosophy behind being Party A and more concerned with how Party A generally voted on issues x, y, and z. Politics are less politics and more religion, except people convert a lot easier and more often.
  • Crazy how they agreed just in the nick of time to make sure everybody still gets their checks.
  • edited April 2011
    Almost like they planned it out ahead of time.
  • edited April 2011
    So this is a thing now. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/
    Man now I feel bad for getting $5 of psn bucks ONE TIME so I could play bionic commando rearmed. At least the credit card I used is now expired.
  • http://www.boingboing.net/2011/04/25/evil-ninjas-terroris.html
    Hurst denies being a ninja
    Man, I hope that if I ever got the opportunity to ever earnestly be asked if I was a ninja I would say yes.
  • So this is a thing now. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/
    Man now I feel bad for getting $5 of psn bucks ONE TIME so I could play bionic commando rearmed. At least the credit card I used is now expired.
    Are you fucking serious all that info was just floating out there, first the Epsilon hack now this.
  • edited April 2011
    To add insult to injury they basically waited a week to tell everybody that the info was out there. If there was a time to play things close to the vest this is not the time.
  • http://www.shacknews.com/article/68263/sony-answers-questions-about-playstation

Thankfully the credit card data was encrypted, even though nothing else was.
  • I forgot I even had a PSN account until I got an email about it this morning. Ah well. Have my address, hackers; I'm about to move, anyway. Never used a credit card on the PSN, so there's a dodge.

That's real good news about the credit card info, though. Glad to see Sony was at least trying.
  • I'm sure it's encrypted now.

Why did it take them so long to report to the public that shit was going down? And then wait to announce that the credit cards where encrypted?

If it took them a few days just to figure out that the credit card data was encrypted.....I still wouldn't trust their word.
  • http://www.giantbomb.com/news/psn-hacked-what-sonys-security-breach-means-for-you-and-what-comes-next/3092/
    http://www.giantbomb.com/news/sony-publishes-qa-to-address-more-psn-concerns-still-unanswered-questions/3095/
    "There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised," said Seybold. "We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon."
  • SETI is feeling the effects of the recession. They had to turn off the Allen Array.
    http://bigthink.com/ideas/38131
  • Thats what happens when you run a budget deficit of near 100% to GDP. To put in layman terms, it means that public spending by the government is almost exactly the same as what the entire US economy makes in dollar terms.

Now consider that total tax revenue is only ever a percentage of GDP.... Shits' gotta get cut!
  • Meh, I know its a big deal and all but the TSA is still going to be grabbing your balls every time you get on an airplane. In fact they are probably going to be grabbing your balls harder now that they will be expecting some kind of payback.
  • I was coming here to post that. Buy anyways, can anyone say re-election scam.
  • edited May 2011
    I too was going here to post. Win for Obama all around.
  • South Park is in my mind now.
  • Only Obama speech I have ever watched.
  • edited May 2011
    You probably should not have just admitted that.

• More Lies from Osama.
    also relevant
  • Only took a decade. I'm impressed.
  • Even if he was a reprehensible human being and a murderous theocrat, I somehow feel that we have more productive things to do with our time than dancing on his grave. Ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan come to mind.
  • That's more or less where my head is, too, Paul. I mean, I expect the internet to do what the internet does, but it will be pretty sad when the 4chan posts die away and nothing is left in their absence. I wish that understanding could arise from the ashes of events like these, but it never does.