User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

Current events

Comments

• DG_Nick said:

What if the true cost of the thought of everyone being armed is an immediate execution by a police officer? What's my incentive to ever want to involve the police in...anything?

Haw. So you're OK with the police being violent murderous assholes because the real problem is private ownership of firearms? Like, Philando Castle would have been absolutely fine if he hadn't had a gun in the glove box?
  • Well I mean, if I shoot someone I'll definitely be in trouble. I was talking about potentially escalating a situation to a deadly level by calling 911. There's a very real possibility I could end with a bullet in me if I don't conduct myself in the right manner. For some reason the onus is on civilians to act professionally instead of the other way around.
  • DG_Nick said:

What if the true cost of the thought of everyone being armed is an immediate execution by a police officer? What's my incentive to ever want to involve the police in...anything?

Haw. So you're OK with the police being violent murderous assholes because the real problem is private ownership of firearms? Like, Philando Castle would have been absolutely fine if he hadn't had a gun in the glove box?
    I know this is your thing but it's pretty disgusting at this point. Of course I'm not absolving officers of guilt but I'm also not going to say an officer's fear of guns isn't part of the problem too.

This post is late because I only happened to see it by chance. My post above appeared on page 145 for me when I posted it.
  • edited July 2016
    DG_Nick said:

I know this is your thing but it's pretty disgusting at this point.

Well gee whiz, it was a whole fucking page ago, but I guess you forgot the part where you said "What if the true cost of the thought of everyone being armed is an immediate execution by a police officer?"

Like, maybe the solution to that is police officers who don't immediately execute you? Maybe? Just maybe
  • YES I AGREE WITH YOU IDIOT I'M JUST SAYING IT'S NOT THE ONLY PROBLEM
  • edited July 2016
    It's an aggressively secular military taking over from someone whose explicit goal was to make religious fundamentalism a key part of the government, so it's hard to know who to root for here.
  • Looks like the coup is already failing and just helping secure the autocracy Erdogan was striving for.
  • DG_Nick said:

So you don't trust cops. You don't trust armed citizens. What the fuck do you do? Go outside fearing everything? I suppose as a Chicago citizen you would since its gun violence central.
  • I'm not paralyzed by fear, no. I can only hope for the best.
  • https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/08/rnc-2016-donald-trump-cleveland-republican-convention/
    There are no inconsistencies to Trump in the eyes of his fans. Any gotcha question you can ask can be shrugged off. Trained for years by a conservative movement that condemns all reporting and excites their every terror without taking steps to alleviate it, they have adopted a commitment to dietrologia that would feel familiar to any shrugging Italian political wonk searching for the hand of intent behind government sclerosis, corruption and indifference.

They have internalized that “behindology” way of thinking, programmed by a system that orchestrates fanatical, verbally violent opposition in ultimate service to gridlock and stasis. They know that things are broken by design, because you cannot break something as vast as America without cooperation and a plan.

They understand on an elemental level that this is partially a game, and no amount of gaffe soundbites can strip away this understanding. There’s a reason why Trump begins every speech by updating the score. You cannot unhouse someone who believes that all politics is surface and all motive hidden by showing them a candidate who makes it so plain that he will say anything to close a deal.

Trump is in on the gag, and by listening to them, he has invited them to be in on the gag too.

Did they know that Trump used to donate heavily to Democrats? Of course he did, that’s how the system works. Did they know that he contradicted himself on two different days? Of course he did, lying is how you get elected. Did you hear him say this crazy shit? Sure, it’s hilarious. Do you care that he’s all over the map? No, because, when push comes to shove, he’s always said he’ll make America great again. That’s the deal he’s trying to close.

• I think that we can say that the lord did indeed smash that fucker to pieces and fragments.
  • Why exactly do they load the cargo before the test? Isn't this exactly the kind of thing such testing is trying to catch BEFORE the big, expensive, owned-by-someone else satellite goes onto it.
  • That's a question that NASA and others asked before, and the answer is "because it saves money to do it that way". It skips the steps of loading a simulated payload and taking it off after the test.

In fact, they didn't even get to the actual *test*. They were loading propellant into the upper stage; they didn't even fire any rocket engines.

You may ask "why did they load propellant into the upper stage which was not part of this engine test". Again, they wanted as close a simulation of the actual launch as they could get; they could have loaded plain water or something into the liquid oxygen tank, but then they'd have had to take time to dry out the tank afterwards, so it was easier to just use LOX.
  • edited September 2016
    Sometimes I think it's easier to use LOX but after like half a bagel the texture gets to me and I wish I'd just left it off so I could enjoy my cream cheese.
  • Also it makes the rocket smell like fish.
  • "Excuse me, Mr. Musk, but your giant phallus smells of vagina."
    "Yep, and it just exploded. Musk out."
  • @RobotBastard: thanks for the explanation. I haven't cared to read anything about, I expect all sensationalist stories, but was flummoxed when I did come across the fact the satellite was already loaded. I guess I always just assumed such testing was the last thing done before loading the payload cargo.
  • https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160919/chelsea/thieves-helped-crack-chelsea-bombing-case-sources-say

A: I love the idea that someone would steal a suitcase, find a bomb inside, drop the bomb but keep the suitcase. Like, that's a pretty nice suitcase, you don't wanna forget that shit!

B: maybe not the best idea for mad bombers to use their own personal cell phone full of pictures of themselves and their home address.
  • How is this Trump's 47% when there's almost anything else out of his fucking mouth, shit that he'll actually say in public. The fact that this conversation was private really makes that much of a difference?
  • It seems I picked the right couple of days to be too busy to read Twitter.
  • The answer Nick is that there are a lot of people out there more scared of Hilary than they are disgusted by Trump.
  • Because people don't care that he says offensive shit. "He says what we're all thinking". It's fucking frustrating but that's how it is.
  • That is also true. There are huge segments of the population that have really just been settling for standard GOP candidates or just didn't vote at all.
  • I wasn't actually expecting this to move the needle much--I mean, this guy said "I could shoot someone in the street and get away with it" and accused a debate moderator of being on her period--but it does seem like Republican elected officials and party members are actually starting to say "we can't defend this and won't try, we don't support Trump". Which is good.
  • The bigger question is whether or not GOP distancing themselves from him will actually affect him much. So many people are supporting him because he's not like the party. It doesn't matter much if the party and the press deride him if people felt that they were never represented by them to begin with.
  • Maybe I'm off on this, but this article came off as really petty and territorial to me.

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2016/10/14/peter-thiel-shows-us-theres-difference-between-gay-sex-and-gay
  • Man. It's one of those confusing moments in time for liberals that much like the achingly suspensefully-rising Lin Manuel Miranda, we'll forget about come January. Remember when Scalia died, and people were actually saying that it was possible to be a scathing political opponent but also pay respects to the family?
  • It's nothing different from people claiming that Thatcher or Palin were not actually women.
  • What's great is that they probably spent as much money figuring out who got overpaid as they spent on the actual overpayments. But in Government Land that doesn't matter.

Also everyone involved in executing this decision strongly agrees that it's terrible and shouldn't be happening, and yet somehow they can't bring themselves to just not do it.

Except then there's the part where the guy filed a class-action lawsuit, and the government waived his charges and then moved that the suit be dismissed because he no longer had a case. Which suggests that these people know exactly what they're doing, and could stop any time if they wanted.
  • Good going, America. Thank you for removing any hope I had that we could progress as a nation. More than any past election I am genuinely concerned for this country's future.
  • It's not even Trump himself that really scares me, it's the people he's bringing in with him. Pence is a million times worse than he is and stands a non-zero chance of getting the big chair at some point.
  • This has been pretty hard on the queer community. Everyone is shaken right now. I woke up to many of my friend crying and one was suicidal. Many of us in the trans community are going to lose the few rights we have won recently. Thankfully my partner is a British citizen and has family in Montreal. Atleast I have a few options
  • Yeah, I've been seeing transfolk being encouraged to get passports now before January.
  • My partner and I are getting married and I'm getting my passport before Jan 20th. They are meeting with their family from Canada this weekend and we are going to ask them to sponsor us for immigrating
  • Hope the whole process goes smoothly as possible.
  • Ditto. Best of luck on all fronts.
  • I had an friend tell me to go Fuck myself when I told them my partner and I were moving and more or less said we are cowards for leaving. Nice to see white people hating on my partner for wanting to leave because they are a racial minority who is trans.
  • http://www.10tv.com/article/active-shooter-ohio-state-campus-suspect-dead

I love and work within a mile of where it happened. My partner and I are safe,
  • Glad you're both okay. So the guy had a knife. It kept getting reported as a shooting incident and I couldn't figure out why there weren't any fatalities.
  • That's ridiculous. Why would someone even propose something like that?
  • SHITTY CYBERPUNK FUTURE

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/technology/uber-greyball-program-evade-authorities.html

"Uber has for years engaged in a worldwide program to deceive the authorities in markets where its low-cost ride-hailing service was being resisted by law enforcement or, in some instances, had been outright banned.

The program, involving a tool called Greyball, uses data collected from the Uber app and other techniques to identify and circumvent officials. Uber used these methods to evade the authorities in cities such as Boston, Paris and Las Vegas, and in countries like Australia, China, Italy and South Korea.

Greyball was part of a broader program called VTOS, short for “violation of terms of service,” which Uber created to root out people it thought were using or targeting its service improperly. The VTOS program, including the Greyball tool, began as early as 2014 and remains in use, predominantly outside the United States. Greyball was approved by Uber’s legal team.

Greyball and the broader VTOS program were described to The New York Times by four current and former Uber employees, who also provided documents. The four spoke on the condition of anonymity because the tools and their use are confidential and because of fear of retaliation by the company..."
  • edited March 7
    https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publications/news/2017/march/trump-clinton-debates-gender-reversal.html

Trump as a woman is strong, assertive, good at rhetoric, absolutely DESTROYING her opponent (as the kids put it these days). Meanwhile, people don't even pretend to like Clinton as a guy.