User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

What the fuck is wrong with my computer.

Comments

• You also want to check this either during or immediately after a stressful program is running. Otherwise you're just seeing idle temperatures, you need to see if under a heavy load the core temps are rising to a critical level.
  • OK, so it seems that the gameis causing it to overheat. I ran the game in the background without even playing it and I kept refreshing the PC Wizard screen and the temperature kept increasing about one degree per second.

This is when I turned off the game because I got afraid of how high the temp would go.

Any suggestions on how to fix this then?
  • The GPU temp looks okay, but the CPU is definitely getting too hot. I would open the case (after giving it some time to cool off) and check how well the heatsink-fan is mounted to the processor. Make sure there is a very thin layer of thermal paste between the heatsink and processor (too much is bad, and none at all is bad - you need a paper thin layer). If those are not causing the issue, you may just want to try a different heatsink-fan.

Googling the issue indicates that the motherboard may also play a part in the problem, but I would concentrate on the processor heatsink-fan first.
  • What do you do to make it so a game will boot off the HDD instead of the disc?
  • What's good free anti-virus software?
    Also, how much should I pay for a 1TB external Hard Drive?
  • 1) Avast! (http://www.avast.com/index)
    2) Go to http://www.newegg.com and get the highest rated rated (look at both quality and quantity of ratings) 1TB+ external HD for less than $150. You'll be fine.

Edit: Here you go http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822204079
  • Or if you want to sacrifice eSATA speeds for extra storage:

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=212218326
  • "BrokenMagnum" said:
    What's good free anti-virus software?
    I've had pretty good results with Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • Buying an enclosure and a regular hard drive separately might be a cheaper investment.
  • Avast is great and NOD32 is great if you are going to buy one.

I recommend everyone with a computer to get Malwarebytes in conjunction with your anti-virus. Malware is the real dirty shit that pretends its an antivirus and completely fucks your computer till its to the point where you have to get it reformated. It redirects your browser to pick up more shit, Its basically internet aids.

1tb is dirt cheap right now. Go to newegg.com/ca and buy a bare drive for like 40-80 (depending if you want higher rpm) and a S-ata enclosure for 10-15.
  • "The Joel" said:
    [quote="BrokenMagnum"]What's good free anti-virus software?
    I've had pretty good results with Microsoft Security Essentials.[/quote]

Has anyone used Comodo Internet Security?
  • Had to google it. I've never heard of the company before.

On the real tip though, if you pay for anything, pay for AV. You do yourself and the internet a favor.
  • Yeah I use MSE and it really doesn't seem to bog down my system at all. For the hard drive I agree with Dave, but I like using the esata/usb docks so its easy to swap out drives. That'll probably cost you an extra $20 or so unless you get a bundle with a drive.
  • A f***ing hacker has created a network with my computer and declared himself the administrator, shutting off things like my ability to block sites on the internet. Is there anything short of a system reinstall that will solve this problem?
  • For my money reinstalling your OS is the quickest, simplest way to solve any virus/spyware problem.
  • Thanks, now I just need to get the discs back from the guy who originally installed it.
  • You may have a utility partition with the ability to do a system reinstall, Dreg. If the computer came from a manufacturer like Dell it usually includes something like that.
  • I always called them "futility partitions," because I had issues with hard drives going belly-up, but yeah, that's certainly an option. Or I guess you could find one of those old XP nine-in-one installers floating around...
  • edited March 2011
    I always called them "futility partitions," because I had issues with hard drives going belly-up, but yeah, that's certainly an option. Or I guess you could find one of those old XP nine-in-one installers floating around...
    Online?

Fortunately, my brother was the one who put the computer together, so I can probably track down the disks. Unfortunately, he's out of state, so they might have gotten misplaced in the move. Anyway, thanks for the help, guys!
  • Your best bet might be to just download a generic windows disc. As long as you use your legit key and its the same version of windows, it'll be the same as if you installed it from the originals.
  • I would never, ever recommend hoisting any kind of black flag that may or may not have certain bones on it and sailing into the waters of yo-ho-ho-ism. That's never helped me reinstall Windows ever after any kind of problem. My current version on Windows 7 definitely did not come from a rum-soaked Caribbean island hideaway.
  • Free DNS servers. Yes or No.
  • What do you mean? Like open DNS?
  • edited April 2011
    That and the Google DNS service. Plus, others.

• Free DNS services are nice. You can always test the services using nslookup to see if one is better than another. Are you trying to do filtering or are you just wondering if they're better than your ISP's servers?
  • The benchmark results found that my current ISP's DNS server was the fastest.
  • Anyone know any good Linux reading material? I've got Ubuntu running in virtual player and would like to be able to do something with it. Yes, I've been googling but want something more structured.
  • Anyone know any good Linux reading material? I've got Ubuntu running in virtual player and would like to be able to do something with it. Yes, I've been googling but want something more structured.
    Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming,.

Has anyone tried to use an external/usb drive as their cache swap? I remember this was crazy stupid back in the day, but things have changed.

• I'm thinking of getting a new video card but I know nothing about what ones are any good. I'm looking for something reasonably priced. My current card is the one that came with my computer, an ATI Radeon HD 5450. any recommendations?
  • So... I need a new headset for my PC because my current one is literally falling apart. Something cheap ($30 or less) with decent sound quality.

Also what's a good mouse for regular use as well as gaming? Price is less of an issue with this so no more than $100.

Also part deux, how important is it that I use a mouse pad because I feel that because it slides (which is probably more of personal problem than anything else) it hinders my precision in more intense games.
  • I always use stand mics, so I can't say anything on the headset angle.

For mice, I always use this classic. I've been a hardcore WoW raider, FPS gamer, Civ2 addict, and database manager, and I've never found it inappropriate for any of those roles.

For optical mice, as long as you've got a matte mousing surface, you're usually fine. I haven't used a mouse pad in ages, even with my ass-old desktop that has a ball mouse attached to it.
  • Get a mouse pad for the sake of the surface beneath the mouse. If you don't want your desk to have worn patch in its finish you should protect. Chances are, the desk will cost more to replace than your mouse.

@Kaazuwulf: Answering video card questions is tough because of the variety that's out there. No matter what you buy, someone is going to say you should have bought something else. The only advice I have is to open your computer and consider the amount of space available for the card. I learned that lesson the hard way over the weekend.
  • I'll grant you, yeah, if you have a nice desk, you'll want to protect the surface. I have an assy pressed wood desk that I inherited from a cheating ex-girlfriend who didn't bother to come back for her furniture. The desk has lasted longer than our relationship =D
  • Your mouse pad slides? You need a stable surface dawg. Get a new mouse pad if you feel like you need one.
  • I use a playmat for MTG as my mousepad, it gives me a lot of freedom without making that awful scraping noise whenever i move my mouse.
    As for headsets I recently got this beauty. It's got a really positionable microphone, also it's like $15.
  • I still got my classic max payne mouse pad, its the first one real one I ever had. It's been through hell and back.
  • I haven't used a mouse pad since I stopped using mice with balls in them.

Since your price range on the mouse is higher, I like my razer Mamba. I didn't pay much for mine but after using it for quite a while, I'd pay what it goes for. Though if you look around you could probably get it cheaper. Good sensitivity settings, no issues tracking on my light wood desk or my bed sheets. It's both wired and wireless which I like most. I can disconnect it and lay down, using it to navigate netflix or hulu without getting up.

I also wouldn't skimp on my mic either but that's me. Just hit up logitech, they make things in most price ranges. Or Altec Lansing which is what I think my ancient headset is.
  • Is my system really "hardware reserving" 4 gigs of memory? I've got 8 gigs and the breakdown is 4163 megs hardware reserved, 1446 in use, 248 modified, 1457 standby, 884 free.

And below:

Available: 2349
    Cached: 1702
    Total: 4029
    Installed: 8192

I thought hardware reserves were supposed to be like a gig. Where is all this memory going?
  • A 64 bit system must be great to use.
  • Thanks for your input.

Seems like it may be an issue with the physical memory channels. I may have channel 1 ram going to channel 2 or some shit.
  • I wish I knew anything about hardware configurations post-Pentium III. "Is this PC-100 or PC-66? Does it say "-10" on it? Hmm."
  • So, funny enough it looks like the problem was one of the DIMMS wasn't seated right in the socket.

So I seated it and, awesome, I'm using only 56 megs hardware allocated.

Only, turns out that DIMM is probably bad and causing constant restarts now. COOL.
  • You better hope it's the dimm
  • Yeah, and not the socket itself. That happened to a buddy's PC, and man, what a hassle! Grab a test stick from work if you can.
  • Don't you need a matching pair now? Mixing and matching is no longer a thing the way I understand it. So you gotta find a stick of the same thing or just take that pair out.
  • Do you? Matched pairs used to be for a very specific RAM configuration (or for servers). Have generic desktops moved to that system now, too? I'm used to grabbing hunks of RAM out of a bowl full of about 4 different varieties. Told you I'm behind the times.
  • Well you sure as hell don't have a lot of selection if your not buying a pair or a triplet anymore.
  • also penis