Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.
R.I.P. Toonami (or not)
  • http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... mi-tonight

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. Still, I grew up watching Toonami and I'm sad it's ending its run.
  • Sad, but it is euthanasia. Toonami Digital Arsenal continues to be a good place form memories of classic toonami (not shows, but it has just about every bumper and promo they ever ran). http://toonamiarsenal.com/
  • Toonami was dead to me after what happened to Saint Seiya.
  • Oh thank fucking jesus they did it! now if they'll only kill adult swim, cause NOTHING is worth watching there ever since they stopped making harvey birdman.
  • WHAT THE FUCK?! Toonami is solely responsible for getting me into anime in the first place. It's sucked ever since they made it weekends only, but now this... Awwww maaaaan. :cry:

Anime on television is basically dead now. Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist are the only programs on Cartoon Network at a reasonable hour. Sci Fi has their Ani-Monday thing but I've got a feeling they'll end up canceling that too in the near future. Ah well this only really effects the minority. Most will just continue pirating.

On that note, off to watch some more .Hack//Sign... Oh... wait... :?
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZI0C3CBi0

I see what you did there. :cry:
  • Steve Blum is the most badass voice actor ever. This is undisputed fact.
  • [quote="Railith"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJZI0C3CBi0

I see what you did there. :cry:
    Man, the previous robot was so much cooler than that one.
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/zipzop/tom%20-%20toonami/tom123.jpg
    Then he comes:
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/JakandTornSweetheart/TOM4.jpg?t=1174340257

But I gotta say I felt a little bit sad when I saw goo little guy go.
  • For real. I liked the 2nd generation the best though. God, this is the part where I'd be smashed if I were an alcoholic.
  • Don't you guys get Animax ? They show mostly crappy anime 24X7 on there.
  • [quote="Digitalguardian"]For real. I liked the 2nd generation the best though. God, this is the part where I'd be smashed if I were an alcoholic. The first Tom was the best. Let's not forget the Absolution. Just freaking awesome.
    http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/tyistoofly/endless%20drift%20images/endlessdriftposter1.jpg
    But as a Space Ghost nerd, I can't help but feel nostalgia for Moltar
    http://www.c4vct.com/kym/sg/snaps/tnmimol2.jpghttp://www-personal.umich.edu/~gears/brak/moltar3.gif
  • I'm really sad right now toonami is single handedly responsible for getting me into anime ( with outlaw star and :goku: )

Good night sweet prince
  • [quote="tissuekins"]Oh thank fucking jesus they did it! now if they'll only kill adult swim, cause NOTHING is worth watching there ever since they stopped making harvey birdman.

Metalacolypse and Frisky Dingo are worth watching.
  • As are Aqua Teen(All the time) and Squidbillies(from time to time). Hell even Tim and Eric comes up with something funny every few weeks. Still, I want my fuggin animes back...
  • Please don't go away, Adult Swim. . . daddy needs to make money.
  • [quote="Space Pope 3000"]As are Aqua Teen(All the time) and Squidbillies(from time to time). Hell even Tim and Eric comes up with something funny every few weeks. Still, I want my fuggin animes back...

Tim and eric never come up with anything funny they are funny antimatter
  • [quote="blakout"]Tim and eric never come up with anything funny they are funny antimatter

Agreed. Tim and Eric is literally the worst television program I have ever seen.
  • STRONGLY DISAGREE.
  • [quote="karaokeninja"][quote="blakout"]Tim and eric never come up with anything funny they are funny antimatter

Agreed. Tim and Eric is literally the worst television program I have ever seen.They even sucked while they were doing Tom goes to the Mayor. That show made me violently angry. Only good thing to come out of that was the beartrap song, and that was only cause that was Jack Black making music.
  • Pretty much, the Jack Black bear trap songis the only redeemable thing that's ever been on a Tim and Eric show.
  • [quote="karaokeninja"][quote="blakout"]Tim and eric never come up with anything funny they are funny antimatter

Agreed. Tim and Eric is literally the worst television program I have ever seen.

http://www.freewebs.com/devin_futurama/1%20scruffy.jpg
    Seconded.
  • When I look at it, that was about the time Toonami and anime on Cartoon Network started to decline. It was slow at first but, when Toonami moved solely to saturday nights it got a lot worse.

[quote="chronocross_xp"]Toonami was dead to me after what happened to Saint Seiya.
    If I recall wasn't Saint Seiya part of some 5 hour block on Saturday nights that went from 7 to 2, which was obscene in my opinion. I was never able to finish watching that block once. Maybe it's because I take sleeping pills?

But now the people at Cartoon Network continue to distance themselves from anime and it really just makes me sad. Then I remember those people have been jackasses about things. This is totally expected given their actions.
  • I don't blame Cartoon Network for moving away from anime, since it's not getting watched. I do resent them moving away from cartoons all together, as evidenced by the the fact that next weekend the Sam Raimi Spider-Man picture will be playing in place of the Toonami block.

Also, I don't know why I am contributing to this thread. . . I don't watch Cartoon Network except for the 6 and a half hours a year they run new episodes of Venture Bros.
  • You're contributing because I'm holding a shotgun loaded with cake shells against your back. You stop, you die. You'll want to stop, but you won't, and the temptation will make everything sweeter.
  • I guess if you have the cake-shotgun against the back of your head, the only question is if you can turn around and get your mouth around the muzzle before he fires.

Gay. :shock:
  • [quote="Digitalguardian"]You're contributing because I'm holding a shotgun loaded with cake shells against your back. You stop, you die. You'll want to stop, but you won't, and the temptation will make everything sweeter.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/reviews/2404/_11882655127917.jpg
  • You gotta carry that weight.
  • that sucks the block that shaped me in to anime fan is dead :(
  • So, does this mean Cartoon Network has no anime programming whatsoever? That's unfortunate. I've known a lot of people over the years (and I met a lot of youngsters at AWA) whose gateway to Japanese animation was through Toonami and Cartoon Network's other anime programming.
  • Its not completely anime free in the slightest. They run Bakugan, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, Code Geass, Moribito and Inuyasha. Its just that none of that stuff is in a good timeslot anymore. Oh, and Bakugan is shit.
  • [quote="exagenous"][quote="tissuekins"]Oh thank fucking jesus they did it! now if they'll only kill adult swim, cause NOTHING is worth watching there ever since they stopped making harvey birdman.

i disagree, only metalacolypse, frisky dingo is more like shitty dingo amirite?
  • [quote="tissuekins"][quote="exagenous"][quote="tissuekins"]Oh thank fucking jesus they did it! now if they'll only kill adult swim, cause NOTHING is worth watching there ever since they stopped making harvey birdman.

i disagree, only metalacolypse, frisky dingo is more like shitty dingo amirite?

no frisky dingo is awesome
  • Man I remember trying to watch DBZ I missed all the other anime shows on there I know regret that.
  • [quote="Pwnedbyapanda"]Man I remember trying to watch DBZ I missed all the other anime shows on there I know regret that.
    I am the same way man. Back in the day I would come home from school and watch DBZ totally not paying attention to anything else.
  • I think I miss first gen Tom more than the whole block. I really didn't like that whole, makin' him totally rad! for the kids deal. Even at a young age it didn't feel right to me. Did they come up with a story as to how he transitioned into his last generation? While I like the idea of new generations being brought up with anime, I also like the idea of giving someone more space to make some American cartoons. Right now the only good one I can think of is Flapjack. I hear a lot of talk about Chowder, but I just don't get it.
  • It's sad to see Toonami go after so long, It makes me mad that Cartoon Network, a network that brought a good amount of people into the Fandom, are now sort of starting to Jetison those people. I'll always remember running home from School Every Day desperate to catch the latest episode of Sailor Moon, Followed by Reboot, and how I was sad whenever I missed an episode (Thank god for VHS tapes!) and how I was even Sadder when both shows were Taken off the air.

R.I.P Toonami, you will be Missed by everyone....except Cartoon Network.
  • Cartoon Network put out a statement that assured people that they're looking to keep anime around on both CN and Adult Swim. . . to what extent is unclear, but it is far from ditching properties like Pokemon and Naruto.

Toonami ending is just another part of Cartoon Network's overall restructuring to compete in the ratings game with Nickelodeon and the Disney Channel. The live action Nick and Disney sitcoms (Drake and Josh, Hannah Montana) and the movies and specials dominate kids interest right now. They're turning off cartoons except for a few long established properties. I think Cartoon Network should stick to its guns, because they put out a number of high quality shows that will eventually catch fire, but I understand their desire for some short term ratings grabs.
  • [quote="Natendowii"]It's sad to see Toonami go after so long, It makes me mad that Cartoon Network, a network that brought a good amount of people into the Fandom, are now sort of starting to Jetison those people.

Jettisoning those people? Those people grew up and out of the demographic, plus it's way cheaper when you own the shows outright.
  • [quote="karaokeninja"][quote="Natendowii"]It's sad to see Toonami go after so long, It makes me mad that Cartoon Network, a network that brought a good amount of people into the Fandom, are now sort of starting to Jetison those people.

Jettisoning those people? Those people grew up and out of the demographic, plus it's way cheaper when you own the shows outright.

It's fair to say there are still a significant number of "kids" in their 20s watching Cartoon Network in search of the glory days. But its not a number Cartoon Network is interested in sustaining. You risk losing that 10% of your audience to double the remaining 90% with new shows that appeal to the new generation.
  • [quote="MCBurnett"]You risk losing that 10% of your audience to double the remaining 90% with new shows that appeal to the new generation.

Considering their main target audience is children, yeah, that sounds like the correct move.
  • It absolutely is. There might be some really angry Livejournals written about it, but I don't think Cartoon Network will care if it ensures its future existence.
  • If it was up to me I would just make CN (not AS) Chowder and Flapjack, only two good shows on CN. All the old CN shows are on Boomerang along with the older cartoons.

• adult swim's april fools joke was to bring back toonami. Wish I wasn't asleep for it.
  • There is a torrent of the whole block online that someone streamed. Dont feel bad, I missed it too.
  • They even had an all-new promo made for the next episode of Bleach, got a kick outta that.
  • I got the whole program on my itouch so ill watch that when im at school, if anyone wants it just send me a message.
  • So, apparently Adult Swim has started an official Twitter for #BringBackToonami, saying if you want it back, tell them so, and apparently they even have a separate feedback tab for it on their website. So Toonami coming back has, in fact, just become a slightly real-er possibility.
  • Why not? [AS]'s saturday night block is just anime anyway and I'm sure steve blum would love to keep doing it.
  • Yeah, it's been really odd to see people excited about this as if [AS] wasn't already playing anime for nobody to watch. This is like Conan's show. The internet really wants it but that doesn't mean they have any intention of watching it with any kind of regularity.