User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

So...What Are You Playing Now?

Comments

• Load times would be nice.
  • Mannn Haven't posted on this forever and honestly my video game playing has almost completely died since I moved to a place with no internet.

It was hard living in Japan with limitless and fastest internet I have ever had in my life to the countryside of Virginia that has no internet. What I have played in the last year has been pleasant.

Witcher 3 was the greatest piece of gaming I have done since Suikoden. The expansions were all great, blood and wine much more so. Getting to own a farm/winery as a witcher is just so damn beautiful.

So much Binding of Isaac as per usual, wish a sequel or expansion to the base game would come out.

I really enjoyed my time with Enter the Gungeon, I didn't get any extra characters or crazy locked away things, but I did complete all the storylines and bought everything for credits. Great Roguelike.

I recently a couple weeks ago went and bought Doom, Titanfall 2 and Mafia 3. I really loved Mafia 2, and I was not going into the game expecting much. I guess it just hit me at the right time because I only remember my time with that game fondly.

Mafia 3 is fine? I have only put a couple of hours in but the side characters haven't really grabbed me and haven't gotten myself to push through. The controls and combat are perfectly serviceable and fun.

Titanfall 2 was fun. Used my cell phone as a personal hot spot to play online just so I could say I did. Turns out not the best way to play online shooters who the hell would have thought.

The only other thing currently on my playlist is the newest Fire Emblem games (conquest and the other one). I got them for my birthday and Fire Emblem is always my jam.

Mostly just have fallen deeply into the board game community, which was nice moving to this new place. Was able to fine my people and am going to my first Board game convention in North Carolina next January. very waku waku.
  • I'm going to totally steal that phone hotspot idea when I need to get online again with my DS.
  • A while back when the new Dangan Ronpa came out they sent me a review code by email while we were driving to Philly in a uhaul and I definitely tried to figure out how to use my phone as a hotspot so my Vita could start downloading it en route.

I did not figure it out.
  • Every time I try to do it I discover I have to pay for it even though I thought the government stepped in to disallow that.
  • I used to get a message when I tried to tether on Verizon about paying for the ability. I can enable a wifi hotspot without any warning now. Don't know what that means. Pretty decent connections for what it is.
  • I gave up coz my cell was from work and I didn't want to get in troubs for spending all my geebees on creepy anime games.
  • If not creepy animoo gams then what else?

RIP Sasquatchulous. I'll always remember them fondly, except for how they stopped me from saving their life. I got into a fight in the Warrens in a Two HP, Two Stress battle. I killed the first two, but the second two kept dodging all of my attacks all the way into turn 9. Two of my party members died of heart attacks, and then it turned out that Sasquatchulous and my vestal didn't have any attacks that could damage the front two positions to possibly end it. Sasquatchulous then prevented me from fleeing the battle for another turn, whereupon they promptly had their own heart attack. Despite it all, my vestal didn't develop any negative quirks.

Anyone want a character/future corpse named after them?
  • I died doing what I love. Not drinking and dying.
  • edited December 2016
    The RNG is incredibly grating in that game. So much thought, and hours lost just because the game decides randomly decides so.
  • That's roguelikes for you.

I got my first party wipe last night. I went in against the Fulminating Prophet with a whole plan to have my Man-at-Arms guard people from the 4th position with a trinket that made him extra durable and heal more. Unfortunately a few unlucky stuns on him meant his guarding was wasted. I had my Crusader and Highwayman breaking down the pews so I could take them home for cash while my Vestal tried to keep things healed above Death's Door when things went south, but I ended up dying with the Prophet at 10hp. I lost all of my favorite trinkets, like the Healing +33% Collector's Head trinket I had been using for the last 10 weeks.
  • ThatGent said:

The RNG is incredibly grating in that game. So much thought, and hours lost just because the game decides randomly decides so.

Did anyone play Tharsis. I thought the RNG in that game was maddening. Then I played it a couple of days and I had some sort of come to jesus moment with the game. After that I pretty much won every time and unlocked all the characters except the cannibal. (fuck eatting 500 pieces of people meat, that shit would take forever. I want more rougelikes, feel like there has been a drought of Enter the Gungeon.
  • I want to give another shout-out to Cardinal Quest 2, which I played an exorbitant amount of on my iPod (but you can also get it on Android or Steam, or I guess maybe on Kongregate?) Quick-playing free roguelike that tweaks the genre in so many great ways (cooldown powers and talent trees, no mystery potions, permanent unlocks that add new options and upgrades).

There aren't many free-to-play games that I enjoy enough to spend money on (more as a tip to the dev than anything else.)

There aren't many games that I end up going achievement-nuts for (100%ing CQ2's achievements is kind of ridiculous, but there's an "achievement rank" you can advance by getting a majority of the game's achievements and several specific ones. I hit the maximum achievement rank.)

There aren't many games that I go back and replay just so I can try out variant approaches. (Getting the maximum achievement rank required me to beat all 3 adventures, on Suicide difficulty, with all 6 classes.)
  • My boy decided to stand through the car and let his butt drive the car.

• I'm playing Final Fantasy XV. There's a guy in it who looks a bit or more than a bit like Paul McGann.
  • So... long story short after getting roughly about halfway through The Witcher 3 when it came out and then losing my save I decided to buy the complete edition on PS4. I got to the part where it asks you those questions about what happens in Witcher 2 and I've gone through those questions two times already. Looking at how long people have taken to beat Witcher 2 just putting it on easy and mainlining the story I'm partially considering doing that. I always meant to play it, but for some reason I just never got around to it.
  • edited December 2016
    In Final Fantasy XV, multiple characters know the chocobo tune. They let you know it.
  • I fell down an all-consuming, relaxing, calm Stardew Valley hole the last couple days, such a simple and soothing game. Also, since the patch added Emily as a romance option she has definitely become best girl IMO.

I really wanna try and dive into VA-11 HALL A this week, I picked it up in the Steam Sale, been meaning to get to it for a long time now.
  • I'm cheating on overwatch with titan fall. It's astonishing how much a difference giant robots make in a modern shooter.

This is my full review.
  • Not too long ago I finished Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and recently have moved into playing Virtues Last Reward. These games are pretty ridiculous.

Also, if I was to play a Dragon's Quest game, preferrably one of the 3DS ones that was just released, anyone have any recommendations? I had VIII for a bit before all my PS2 games mysteriously disappeared and that seemed kinda fun. But I don't remember much about it since it was several years ago.
  • edited January 21
    Both DQ7 and 8 are good although 8 is better than 7.
  • Get 8 on another system. This version lacks the full experience of the original.
  • I think my only other option is iOS. And I'm not gonna buy a PS2 to play it. So that's why I was thinking 3DS one. What is missing with this one?
  • The only changes I ever heard complaints about was Jessica's more revealing outfits being changed, SE said it was because of the system's resolution making the originals look weird.

Any other change I know of are QoL things to make the game not drag on forever like a fast setting in combat to speed animations and the alchemy pot always being instant completion.
  • Yakuza 0 is reallllllllllyyyyyy fun. Although I wish it was in VR because PSVR rules. Also I wish it had the anal retentive detail of Shenmue, but I do love how it's kind of a hybrid of Shenmue-style FREE RPG plus '80s beat 'em up. I never played any of the previous games. I guess the PS2 games were so late in the life of the PS2 I was already onto newer stuff like 360 and I never had a PS3 so I never got the PS3 Yakuza games. I heard there's a remake of Yakuza 1 coming out for PS4 soon, right? Is that supposed to be good?
  • After watching a short stream I took a chance and picked up Resident Evil 7. That game is more Resident Evil than anything else that came out after 4. It's also pretty good fun.

Could do with more puzzles, or maybe make the existing ones slightly more complex, but it brings back into focus inventory management, ammo conservation, backtracking around a single large-ish location (what we got in the demo was the guest house in a redneck Spencer Mansion) for keys and half-remembered (okay maybe half-remembered because pain management set me up with gabapentin about two weeks ago) side rooms with special weapons/items when you pick up said keys, and even brings back ink ribbon saves in hard mode via cassette tapes.

Spoiler:
    There's also a bit before the credits roll that delivers a "When one door closes, another opens" monologue that's super on the nose that they're done trying to recapture 4 and just try to make whatever going forward.
  • Also I wish it had the anal retentive detail of Shenmue, but I do love how it's kind of a hybrid of Shenmue-style FREE RPG plus '80s beat 'em up.

Ive always said the Yakuza games were the Shenmue sequels that nobody cared about. A lot of the philosophy behind Yakuza seems to have been "what if we did a super japanese drama like Shenmue and incoporated actually fun gameplay"
  • I've been playing The Last Guardian. I'm pretty dang sure I was stuck at the same lake described in the recent FKG-ANN podcast when I was listening to it. (Got out later after listening.)
  • So finally got to the throne in nuklear throne. Got to fight it for awhile and thought my damage out put was fine. trying to react to the first time fighting it is hard. It only works 60 hours to get there. It is the only rogue like in recent release that I haven't beaten the end game for and it is driving me crazy. You truly can't play slop like you can in Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon.
  • TFW you defeat the Boss Rush, Hush, and Mega Satan on one run of Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth as the Keeper in hard mode.
  • Now I've been playing Life Is Strange. I discovered a direct, by-name reference to Doctor Who--at which point I clapped--so this game is all right by my lights. There is also some damn effusive praise for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within stuck in there, but I can chalk that up to the publisher being Square Enix.

There is this annoying bug, if that's what it's called, where my journal said I had a fully hashed out conversation about something I didn't. Worse, when this tempted me to have the conversation, I found I was past a major enough checkpoint that I couldn't just walk back into the building behind me to go over it again. Oh, and rewinding time to do stuff like that is the point of the game. To be fair, there are always limits on how far you can go back in time in the game. Sigh, aren't there always.
  • Fire Emblem Heroes seems weird. But it's kinda nice to get through a match in less than 20 mins. My friend code is 3878812028 if anyone downloaded it.
  • Been playing a lot of old steam games I never got around to lately. While listening to podcasts I finally got around to beating the first XCOM reboot game, which I found fun but not quite as much as most people seem to, it was just kinda fine to me. After that I moved on to Shadowrun: Dragonfall for podcasts. I don't care for the combat mechanics much, but I do like the amount of options for approaching things, and there's been a couple of story missions I really loved.

Also, since I never got around to it & it got a major update, I figured I'd dip my toe into Read Only Memories. Not too far in, but I really like the art design, especially the bright color choice with lots of pastels, and the setting seems cool and interesting, so I'm looking forward to getting further into it.
  • There isn't enough time in one's day and life. SFV, Titan Fall, Momodora, Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma, and Neverwinter Nights all took a back seat and a bump back in queue to Overwatch, For Honor, FFXIV, Rosenkreuzstilette, and warm weather.
  • Been playing a lot of Game Boy games for a podcast I'm guesting on. Most of them are old favorites, but one I rediscovered was Survival Kids.

The premise is your a boy/girl that gets shipwrecked on a deserted island and you have to survive and try to escape. I've owned for a long time, but never got into it as a kid because I felt intimidated by an RPG with limited resources you could screw up. Going back now I realized it's actually a kinda rougelike. The stages aren't randomly generated but you have stuff like hunger to keep track of and there's a lot of experimentation with items to learn what they do. It's surprisingly fair for an older roguelike since you don't lose items if it's a failed combination and the early game gives you a lot of stuff to keep your gauges.

Unfortunately, the battery in it died literally the next day so I'm kinda SOL until I can get it replaced
  • Aw dang, that sounds cool.
  • It's a really neat game, and I can see a lot of the DNA for stuff like Don't Starve. I don't know if any indie developers played it given it's a non-pokemon GBC game, but it did spawn the Lost in Blue series (which I've never played)
  • edited March 3
    Currently playing Until Dawn. It's got some stuff in common with Life is Strange, though the latter is the better game by far in my view. Until Dawn seems like it's going out of its way to make different outcomes happen for different actions, but there's only so much I can tell on a first playthrough. The plot and presentation have more laughing-at-it than with-it moments, but The Analyst has really been working for me, and I must be nearing the end.
  • JESUS FUCKING CHRIST RIVER CITY RANSOM UNDERGROUND IS SO GREAT
  • You are a liar, it is merely fantastic.
  • Nier 2 is pretty good! But the side quests are super nier, which is to say, they have lots of good flavor but always at the opposite end of the map. Which can take some time to get across, even with shortcuts opened up. So thats kinda a bummer.

On the other hand. Everything about Pascals village is very good and Platinum games are still really fun to play.

Also the first time I encountered the screaming robots as they swarmed over the dunes legit scared the hell out of me.
  • So that's why I was told to go to the main destination last.

I still want me some Grimoire Weiss or equivalent. (Don't even bother spoiling whether my wishes will come true though.)
  • Nier 2 thing, be sure to clear or just not start up main story quests when running sidequests. Sometimes sidequest completion seems to flag the next main story cutscene and play both scenes at the same time leading to problems.

• The Horizon Signal event has finally triggered in one of my games. Time to investigate this rabbit hole.
  • Cybylt said:

Nier 2 thing, be sure to clear or just not start up main story quests when running sidequests. Sometimes sidequest completion seems to flag the next main story cutscene and play both scenes at the same time leading to problems.

Like it'll randomly just context switch to something completely different? So it goes from side quest right into main quest.
  • Thats super weird. I never came across that personally. But that maybe because I stopped doing sidequests after the 100000 time going back and forth across the map. Even after fast travel unlocked. I miss the days of just starting out next to my tokyo drift boar when Id leave a location.
  • It treated my clearing a sidequest as simultaneously crossing a threshold in another area, triggering a cutscene and teleporting me to the area it played in.

It played the voicing and video of the main scene but the text of the sidequest then I had to skip the story scene about half way in because it just halted when the text of the sidequest ended.
  • Nier 2 is pretty good! But the side quests are super nier, which is to say, they have lots of good flavor but always at the opposite end of the map. Which can take some time to get across, even with shortcuts opened up. So thats kinda a bummer.

On the other hand. Everything about Pascals village is very good and Platinum games are still really fun to play.

Also the first time I encountered the screaming robots as they swarmed over the dunes legit scared the hell out of me.

This cannot continue.