User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

So...What Are You Playing Now?

Comments

• I watched a bit of a stream today of someone fighting one of the weapons and the first thing I noticed was this game loads a lot. When I mentioned the streamer was like "I suppose so". The game loads on every scene change. Even when a scene is like 5 seconds long. That seems excessive.
  • Titanfall 2 is preeeeetty great.

The storyline is barely coherent, but it's for a good cause (i.e. a burning need to stuff as many different fun ideas into the campaign as possible), and I still love love love the on-foot mobility in that game. I'd pay money for a singleplayer expansion that just doubled down on all of the different things they did over the course of the campaign.
  • edited October 2016
    Creaty said:

How kid friendly is it? In terms of mechanics I mean.
    I'm thinking for it to be baby's first FF.

It's (slightly) more complicated than (what I know of) Pokemon but the battles can be super simple. There's effectively a baby mode where you have a general attack button that picks the best attack you have against the enemy you've targeted. It's also super, super easy... y'know, for an adult player. I think even a relatively young kid would do fine at it, especially if they have an adult there to help out.

• Establish a libra-first policy. Create good habits now so that your child will later disguise themselves only after they've dragged a body and hidden it.
  • edited October 2016
    Duly noted, thanks :)

If she's anything like dad she'll just take out everybody in the area and that way you don't have to worry about hiding the bodies.
  • edited October 2016

Titanfall 2 is preeeeetty great.

The storyline is barely coherent, but it's for a good cause (i.e. a burning need to stuff as many different fun ideas into the campaign as possible), and I still love love love the on-foot mobility in that game. I'd pay money for a singleplayer expansion that just doubled down on all of the different things they did over the course of the campaign.

Are you playing on PC or PS4? I've been really on the fence about which one to go for. Ideally I'd like to play PC, but the online community basically died out a month or so after launch on the original. I was worried about the same thing happening this time. But I've gotten used to playing FPS games with M&K so I dunno how well I'd do otherwise.
  • I was strangely into the World of Final Fantasy demo. I think just because it's so weird.
  • PC. Not going to lie, I'm kinda worried that the playerbase is going to dry up quickly on this one, too, given what everyone's saying about it launching so close to Battlefield and Call of Duty. At least this time, any maps they put out will be free?
  • I got World of Final Fantasy and its evolution system trapped me into playing it like I played the vita Digimon World, lots of grinding to see all the forms asap.
  • Playing that new pokemons. Wanted to name this guy Furry-hata Ninzaburo but there wasnt enough room.

• That is a complete tragedy
  • I have no idea what I'm lookin' at but I'd prob find it funny if I did.
  • Wow thats a great impression!!!
  • I don't get it
  • Just beat Pokemon Moon's main story. I'd say it was probably the best, most well crafted main story of a Pokemon game I've played, and I really like a lot of the new pokemon and the variety to choose from. A real fun time.
  • I've seen weird redesigns of existing Pokemon, are they actually redesigns or new ones that look similar?
  • I think they're redesigns. It just says Ratatta when you see it and he now has like a mustache.
  • The idea is that the same pokemon living in a different region adapted differently, so they have Alolan forms of the same pokemon. Most of them have different types, and some have slightly different stat distributions.
  • So there's 2 types of ratatta for example? One that looks normal and an Alollan version within the same game?
  • You won't find old-fashioned Rattata in Sun and Moon in the wild, only the new Dark/Normal Alolan version. You can transfer old-fashioned Rattata from other games, but they're not wild.
  • I took the last week off of work and actually had time to finish some games.

The Last of Us: I got pretty close to beating this on PS3 but I just fucking hate the DS3. Playing on DS4 makes it a more enjoyable experience. Also toned the difficulty down which was more enjoyable. The story is the best part of that game by far, which is pretty par for the course for Naughty Dog games. The way it wrapped up was not what I was expecting at all.

The Order 1886: This game... is sorta good? But kinda sucks. A lot of the reviews on this game are fairly spot on which was interesting in hindsight. It's basically a decent handling Gears of War with an interesting premise. I think the graphics are amazing sometimes. There are times when it rivals things like Uncharted 4, then other times when it's not quite as good. It seems to depend moreso on the lighting of the scene. But the story slams into a wall in the end, which even though I'd read that was the case still sorta surprised me. Mostly because I kept thinking "it can't be that bad", but it is. It seemed like they were maybe running out of budget and were hoping it would take off to make a sequel, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Yo-Kai Watch: This game is pretty fun, it's sorta a different take on a Pokemon style game. The one thing that is really jarring about this game is that it can be really fucking difficult if you don't set up a competent team, or you need to try and grind out without one. If you read any FAQs they all seem to suggest a pretty well rounded team, but getting the Yo-Kai to fill out that roster takes some research. Also "befriending" Yo-Kai is sometimes so infuriating. They all have foods they prefer which boosts your chances but also there are more powerful versions of the items that you need to seek out.

Headlander: Game is okay. It's a decent "Metroidvania" style game. The story is sorta lame. I like the body switching mechanic but towards the end it was definitely getting a little tiresome. None of the secrets were really that difficult to figure out. Some of the later game ones seemed tougher but I just didn't care to actually get any of them at that point.

Batman (Telltale): I didn't really beat this but I finally caught up on all the episodes. Pretty true to most Telltale games theres a lot of flat parts as they try and separate things into episodes. The second episodes is probably the best so far and sets up the most interesting aspects. The third was pretty boring.

I bought the PS4 version of Witcher 3 to get the DLC since it seemed to be about as much as the PC copies, plus GOG Galaxy cloud saves don't fucking work and I lost my save which really bums me out (I reformatted and thought I backed the save up). Seems safer to trust PS4 saves.

Also started playing the Titanfall 2 campaign but I'm only a couple hours in.
  • I got the new pogeymams. Sun squad represent. So no gyms anymore? Also somehow I'm like 10 levels overleveled already and I'm not even off the first island yet?
  • After playing it off and on for the better part of a decade (ever since my sophomore year of high school) I finally finished Persona 3 in pretty anticlimactic fashion, as I overleveled myself to the point the final boss was a joke.

Also started Majora's Mask 3D (great, but the remaster ditches all the drab grays and greens and washed out daylight from the original, so the atmosphere is way less oppressive and weird than the N64 version, which is kind of a bummer) and Vagrant Story (incredible, and I'm shocked by how not infuriating I find having to navigate menus to swap weapons constantly; it's a very deliberate game and forcing you to do that also gives you the breathing room to carefully plan a few moves ahead).
  • edited November 2016
    Rbx5 said:

After playing it off and on for the better part of a decade (ever since my sophomore year of high school) I finally finished Persona 3 in pretty anticlimactic fashion, as I overleveled myself to the point the final boss was a joke.

This is me with P4. I am at the last boss, and I haven't picked it up again after a first attempt. From what I understand I was somewhat underleveled for the encounter. Took me like 2-3 years to just get to that point.

I guess there's a "true" final boss which I can't remember if I set up to encounter but the one that you will always fight was the one I got to.
  • Got a hankerin' for Bastion but found I somehow don't own it on PC (assumed I'd HAD to have picked it up in a humble bundle or something) and I ain't about to drag my 360 out of the closet for anything short of a Chromehounds revival. :|
  • ^^ Bastion is now on Ps4 if it helps.
  • Shine on, you beautiful diamond.
  • Started up Bloodborne again a few days ago to finally take a shot at Queen Yharnam, still can't stomach chalice dungeons long enough to get there.

Also generally find myself less tolerable of the game every time I start it back up compared to the souls game. The increased speed, coupled with long, wide-arced thrashing combo strings increase the need for good body langues cues and they aren't making them any better to match.
    Or they ready you for the first hit, but you got three or more following it up and they might track, hard, as I found most apparent with the Pthumerian Elder who can just do a full U-turn with a spear jousting charge
  • Cybylt said:

Started up Bloodborne again a few days ago to finally take a shot at Queen Yharnam, still can't stomach chalice dungeons long enough to get there.

Also generally find myself less tolerable of the game every time I start it back up compared to the souls game. The increased speed, coupled with long, wide-arced thrashing combo strings increase the need for good body langues cues and they aren't making them any better to match.
    Or they ready you for the first hit, but you got three or more following it up and they might track, hard, as I found most apparent with the Pthumerian Elder who can just do a full U-turn with a spear jousting charge

The thing that sort of bothers me even to this day is that people seem to not really grasp the full understanding of the chalice dungeons. When I first tried to beat BB I just felt incredibly overwhelmed by them. The last time I played it me and a buddy of mine co-op'd through the game and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to wrap my head around them. In the end I mostly figured out that the randomness on them seems to be not as excessive as I thought and that you can more or less actually complete the content there. But then there are these seeds you can generate for random versions of the dungeon that tweak things here and there and some people use those grinding out random combos of blood gems that work well for their build.

But that was the part where I was like people are still to this day more or less finding those through trial and error and it takes a community to even discover them.
  • edited December 2016
    I'm not wasting time doing Root dungeons, but you still need to beat a fixed set to unlock the next in linear progression to get to the queen, and it's still too much time spent in ridiculously samey dungeons.

Note this is full clears, not just making a break for the levers to hit progression, to get the next chalice and the requisite ritual materials - Four Pthumeru dungeons including one where you have half health, three Hintertomb, two Ailing Loran, one Isz, plus killing the mother brain thing after Micolash to get a final ritual material to get into Pthumeru Ihyll.

Blood Gems are another issue I have with the game, overall I want all this Diablo shit excised from my Souls game. The design styles are antithetical.
  • I finally started playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I apparently have a weird bug where randomly my energy goes back to maximum. No Biocells required.
  • One weird trick to repower your augs.
    Limb Clinic doctors HATE Jenson.
  • I forgot to mention that in my list of completed games. I did finish the last bit of Deus Ex. I thought it was pretty good. I dunno that I had issues with the plot the same way Dave did. I thought the lead up to the ending was pretty decent.
  • I've been playing a lot of Dishonored lately - since my version of 2 came with the Definitive Edition of 1, I replayed that first, then the story DLC, then played through 2, then went back to 1 until I got the platinum for it. I might try to get the rest of the trophies in the story DLC next for fun, or I might do another run of 2 with Corvo/High Chaos this time.

Really enjoy those games a lot - the mechanics are really fun and satisfying, the world is interesting, and the little bit you find out about characters is pretty interesting too sometimes, though moreso in 2 than 1. Nice fun and relatively quick experiences.
  • I played a bit of this game called Shadow Tactics when I was at PAX West this year and it seemed pretty cool. The game came out this past week and I decided to pick it up since there was a few places you could get the game for $30. It's apparently a lot like the older Commandos franchise. I've never played those so I have no idea. But it's basically a squad tactics game where you have several people that seem to be in your group that have various special abilities. Ninja can climb and throw shuriken, samurai dude can run up and cut people, and at least in the first level there was this sniper dude who can pick people off for you. It's an isometric top down view that also allows you to cue up a few actions at a time to chain things together into some pretty awesome takedown combos. I've only played through the first level but I really like this game so far.
  • Started playing Let It Die. It's some Suda51 Dark Souls ish style free to play game. So far the f2p stuff is pretty minimal and seems mostly like if you want to invest in this you can.
  • Scenery gets a lot better after the first boss since you hit the surface but you also kind of reset every tenth floor because of gear tier gaps as well as unlocking new rank Fighters who have higher level caps.
  • Cybylt said:

Scenery gets a lot better after the first boss since you hit the surface but you also kind of reset every tenth floor because of gear tier gaps as well as unlocking new rank Fighters who have higher level caps.

Is that how you're supposed to get anything but all rounder? Or does it come earlier?
  • I finished FF XV over the weekend. In all honesty I can say that if you enjoy the Kingdom Hearts game, you will enjoy this game greatly. It also has a waiting mode that mimics a normal JRPG. I will say that gameplay wise, it is 80% KH, 10% FF, and 10% Chrono Trigger. I for one enjoyed the gameplay for what it is, with enemies that are below level 60, gameplay becomes very repetitive.
    However, after the ending new things, and quests open up to the player. Now we can find enemies with levels that go up to 99. I am not sure if there is a New Game Plus, but this game is asking for one.
    I have nothing but praises for the music, it hits all the right notes. You can collect old FF soundtracks, play them during your epic road trip, and you can also find an MP3 player and listen to it while you are on foot.
    Finally, the story is a little bit of "Journey of The Hero" and it has enough twists to make put it up there with FF IX, and even FF VII. But it is not as good as FF VI. I liked it, and it hits the feels at the right time.
    Overall, I am very happy with this game, will get the extra content, and will definitely get all the trophies.
  • matatat said:

Is that how you're supposed to get anything but all rounder? Or does it come earlier?

I got new types of fighters after beating the second midboss (the one that shoots you) which was either 5F or 6F--though it's a bit misleading, because I had to go up the right side (Wanoki) and loop back around to the main elevator shaft through there. I stopped after that, but I got a bunch had varying stat caps instead of 5 on everything, and, what looked like the most important, one that had 5 on everything and a 30 slot bag.

• edited December 2016
    Dave said:

matatat said:

I got new types of fighters after beating the second midboss (the one that shoots you) which was either 5F or 6F--though it's a bit misleading, because I had to go up the right side (Wanoki) and loop back around to the main elevator shaft through there. I stopped after that, but I got a bunch had varying stat caps instead of 5 on everything, and, what looked like the most important, one that had 5 on everything and a 30 slot bag.

Yeah I really want a Collector (I think that's what they're called) to do runs for mats and blueprints. It's painful so far with the 20 slots.

I have one dude almost maxed out and another who is getting close as well. But I'm only on floor 3 because I wanted to up my second guy to do expeditions. I didn't know that once you got past level 3 it opens up like an MGS5 FOB style invasion mechanic. Or at least I heard it was after floor 3.

Despite some of the clunkiness with the combat I'm really enjoying this game so far. It's kinda crazy that it's free. Maybe the Death Metals become more aggressive later and I haven't seen it. It sounds like you can use them to get around the R&D time but I don't really think it's worth it as there are so many other things it seems you can work on while that timer expires. But then they also seem to up your wallet and whatnot, but it comes late enough that I dunno if there is a big issue with having not enough Metals at that time. I upped my storage thinking it was the default player's bag space but it was probably worth doing as people start to say that the 30 slot initial limit starts to be encumbering.

My biggest beef with the combat is the camera does a horrible job at following the target. I was also getting annoyed with switching targets, which apparently you can do, and I don't know if that was in the tutorial or is given to you by that Patrick Klepeck looking guy in the arcade. There's also a few times when I've basically been stun locked into near death by mobs, which I guess still even happens in Dark Souls, but some of the hit detection during those times was highly dubious.
  • edited December 2016
    You get new fighters by floor progress it seems since I didn't have to beat a boss for rank 3's as far as I remember. You unlock the rest of the rank 1's at 6 or 7, rank 2's at floor 11-13, and rank 3's at 16-17(?). I'm up to floor 22 and the gear hurdle resetting the pacing kind of sucks but it is a little entertaining to see all the normal enemies dressing increasingly wildly.

Higher rank fighters not only have substantially higher level caps, their base stats are better. I'm going to try to round out my base defenders with some rank 3's since raising your rank in Fights makes you a higher priority on matchmaking along with putting you on retaliation lists.

I spent a lot of time in the invasions because they have an enmity system where your region getting enough invasions with another sets off a Fight where for 24 hours you can only invade each other with a scoring system to determine winner. Made some total 80k coins and SPL between invasions themselves and the win bonus off of a Fight with Canada yesterday. California seems to be dominating the pvp scene because we have about as many players as the rest of the US combined and having defeated the UK and Canada, New York is next going by the enmity bar.
  • It seems like the PVP stuff works on a setup of the more you invade, the more you're targeted for invasion. Not sure if there's a limit but I've never come back to my money and SPL being gone entirely, just maybe 2-3k missing.

This might also include the level range on Haters and Hunters sent your way.
  • I was curious if it had a MGS5 grace window or not. I accidentally never did the training mission for the raids, so I never unlocked it despite 20+ hours of playing. So I only had my last few runs last night to see how often I was getting invaded. It SEEMED like I'd only get hit once per run in the dungeon, but I don't know if that was just coincidence or if there's an actual hard limit.
  • Overnight I've gotten between two and eight attempts made on my place. If there is a grace period Fights take those down.
  • I guess this took off quicker than GungHo/Grasshopper thought. They already had a stream detailing their plans for the near future of the game.

Most pressing issues for them are:
    Improving load times
    Restoring the Jackals (there was a bug where they'd teleport into elevators and could just be punched to death while they couldn't do anything)
    New types of base upgrades to defend against raiders