User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

We need a comics thread

1222324252628»

Comments

• Paging Paul Chapman + other bronies. Humble Bundle has lots of ponies comics on special right now.
    You can use the same link in my previous post to check it out.
  • Guys. Guys. Guys.
    Japan had a popularity contest for the Marvel Disk War Avengers anime, and one of the winners was Deadpool. In the show, Deadpool is also voiced by Takehito Koyasu, the same guy who voices Dio in Jojo's. I'm seriously tempted to try and track down fansubs of this show now.
  • I watched like four episodes of that show. First three was basically Marvel, avengers, stuff, but as a anime and with some anime kids around there. Then it became marvel Pokemon, and got way too silly to watch.
  • I picked up that Image Comics bundle from Humble Bundle a couple months ago. So far I've read the first volume of COWL and the first big volume of Saga. It's nice when something lives up to the hype, which Saga definitely has. Reading God Hates Astronauts now.
  • Paging Paul Chapman + other bronies. Humble Bundle has lots of ponies comics on special right now.
    I know it's gauche to reply to this at this point, but I'm not a brony and I don't care for the MLP comics, thanks anyway.

I know it's gauche to reply to this at this point, but I'm not a brony and I don't care for the MLP comics, thanks anyway.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░
    ███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄░░
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█░░
    ██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀░░░░
  • edited April 2015
    I got myself caught up on the webcomic "Stand Still. Stay Silent." yesterday and I really enjoyed it, even if it feels in some ways like it's still getting started 300 pages in. In the author's own words, it's "a post apocalyptic webcomic with elements from Nordic mythology, set 90 years in the future." I guess I'd kind of describe it as being like a Scandinavian Nausicaa?

Cons:
    * Very, very, very slow burn. There's a good 50 pages worth of prologue before you even meet any of the main characters, and the comic is very willing to take its time.
    * The writing occasionally has that slight... precision? that feels like it kind of gives away that English is not the author's native tongue.
    * The language stuff (see below) is a little hard to follow.
    * It's not done. It's not even close to done, I would guess. (I haven't read her previous comic, A Redtail's Dream, but it clocked in at 556 pages and she describes it as practice before starting on her "big project" SSSS.)

Pros:
    * Gorgeous art on just about every page, with expressive characters and beautiful backdrops. I especially like how she restricts herself to just a couple of key colors for each scene.
    * The exposition style is just about perfect for my tastes. There's close to a 0% incidence rate of "as you know"-ing, which means that you as the reader are left in the dark for a good long while about things that the characters are entirely familiar with. Why did the Nordic countries become the last bastions of civilization? What do they mean when they describe Lalli as a "mage"? What exactly are they talking about when they mention a "troll"? The comic dangles these answers out of reach for a good long while, occasionally to the point where it feels like it's taunting you, but never to the point where it feels like an answer doesn't exist.
    * On the occasion that the author feels the need to do an infodump, she does them in the form of these lovely infographics and pamphlets that are almost always done in an in-universe style.
    * The author does some neat stuff with the five different languages in play here, tagging speech bubbles with little flags to indicate what tongue they're speaking. I don't know my Nordic flags and I usually have to cross-reference it with the little cheat sheet at the bottom of the page (and sometimes the character bios), but it creates some good, authentic friction as the characters have to find ways around soft and hard language barriers.

???:
    * I just got caught up so I don't know what her overall update frequency is. She's currently posting new pages 5 days a week, but the art is so complex that it seems like she must take breaks in between chapters?
  • Thanks for the review. I started reading this a while ago but didn't get very far. I need to get back to it. The art and design are, as you said, just gorgeous.
  • Because Daredevil I started reading some Daredevil. Got suggested the Mark Waid run and really enjoying it so far.
  • ^^^ I read at least part of A Redtail's Dream, it was solidly above average, beautiful artwork as well. Thanks for the recommendation for this one as well.

The Well by the House on the Hill
    just finished its run. Marie goes to the titular house to babysit some kids; things don't go as planned. It's short, only ~75 pages, and I don't want to spoil much. Check it out!
  • edited May 2015
    Also I had forgotten that this thread existed earlier, so I'll repost these from the Random thread in case anyone is looking for suggestions.
    Not sure where to toss these reading recs, so I guess the Random thread will work.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Apothecia is a webcomic story that recently finished. It's about Jessie, who finds an alien fungus war criminal trapped in the woods outside her house. It's short, just 90 pages, so check it out.

Brainchild is a webcomic that started earlier this year that I'm really enjoying. It looks like it's nearing the end of the first chapter, and it's got a prologue to set things up. Allison is just finishing moving into a college apartment with her old friend Carrie when she takes a blow to the head and starts seeing things. Throw it into your RSS reader.

Chapel Also Ran is another young webcomic. Chapel is being hunted by government appointed Heroes because of the rather large bounty on his head and the supremely powerful magical artifact that grants wishes that Chapel is protecting. Nobody is happy that Chapel has the book, as the last time he used it caused the (as-of-yet ambiguously defined) destruction of his native plane of existence and earned him the title "All-Traitor" from the native residents of this new plane and his fellow otherworlder refugees.

Naturally, he loses the book and things go south.

Lastly, I recently finished reading the web-serial Worm by Wildbow. In a world where humans started expressing superpowers in times of extreme stress in the early 80's, protagonist Taylor Herbert has secretly developed the unimpressive power of mind controlling bugs en masse. Insects, spiders, worms, molluscs, and the similarly mindless. Fifteen years old, tormented by bullies and let down by the administration, she practices with her power until she feels ready to put on a costume and become a superhero. Unfortunately, the world is more complicated than she had imagined, and things don't go according to plan.

About

An introverted teenage girl with an unconventional superpower, Taylor goes out in costume to find escape from a deeply unhappy and frustrated civilian life. Her first attempt at taking down a supervillain sees her mistaken for one, thrusting her into the midst of the local ‘cape’ scene’s politics, unwritten rules, and ambiguous morals. As she risks life and limb, Taylor faces the dilemma of having to do the wrong things for the right reasons.

The story, titled Worm, takes the form of a web serial, posted in bite-sized reads in much the same way that authors such as Mark Twain would release their works one chapter at a time in the days before full-fledged novels. Worm started in June 2011, updating twice a week, and finished in late November, 2013. It totals roughly 1,750,000 words; roughly 26 typical novels in length (or 10-11 very thick novels). The story updated on Tuesdays and Saturdays, with bonus chapters appearing on the occasional Thursday, as explained below.

The actual work is divided into a number of story arcs, each containing five to sixteen individual chapters. Interludes (side stories) are inserted between each story arc to showcase events from different perspectives or provide some background information that the reader wouldn’t get from Taylor’s point of view. Further interludes were released as bonus content when the audience reached specific donation goals, but these were found to distract from the core story (with a good reception, but still) and were paced out more in favor of additional main-story chapters.

Readers should be cautioned that Worm is fairly dark as fiction goes, and it gets far darker as the story progresses. Morality isn’t black and white, Taylor and her acquaintances aren’t invincible, the heroes aren’t winning the war between right and wrong, and superpowers haven’t necessarily affected society for the better. Just the opposite on every count, really. Even on a more fundamental level, Taylor’s day to day life is unhappy, with her clinging to the end of her rope from the story’s outset. The denizens of the Wormverse (as readers have termed it) don’t pull punches, and I try to avoid doing so myself, as a writer. There’s graphic language, descriptions of violence and sex does happen (albeit offscreen). It would be easier to note the
    trigger warnings that don’t apply than all the ones that do.

All in all, this probably isn’t a story for the sensitive or the young. I’d peg it with a PG-18 rating, but I think we all know that there’s kids who can handle that sort of thing and there’s adults who can’t. Use your best judgement and ask in the comments below if you’re still unsure.

If I haven’t scared you off yet, you can begin reading Taylor’s story here. Enjoy.
    It's hella long and a great read, despite being self-edited. I hope you like it too.

Fanart by Drunkfu
    Cucumber Quest

Spoiler:

Cucumber Quest: it's cute

You may remember her previous work on the Persona and Metal Gear comics as hiimdaisy

Edit: I threw this post together, then decided that I wouldn't post it tonight and saved the draft. Went to check Twitter and it turns out the new Geeknights episode is about Cucumber Quest, so I guess I'll post this now after all!
    Spoilered the Cucumber Quest jokes for length this time!
  • I got myself caught up on the webcomic "Stand Still. Stay Silent." yesterday and I really enjoyed it...
    Thanks for the recommendation. SSSS has been sitting in my bookmarks for a while, but you compelled me to sit down and read it, and it is fantastic. These last few pages with Emil and Sigrun have been very amusing.
  • edited January 4
    The Last Halloween is drawn by Abby Howard, one of the contestants from Strip Search.
    The Last Halloween is the story of Mona and her unusual friends, who must work together to defend humanity from countless horrific monstrosities! Perhaps they will succeed, and humanity will prevail as it always has. Or perhaps this will be... The Last Halloween
    On page one, the Phagocyte is crippled. As the protector of humanity, he kept Monsters from murdering humans all the dang time. Now that he's gone, the Monsters are coming out of the shadows. Our heroine, Mona, meets a group of Undead children, and they team up to install a new Phagocyte and save humankind from being wiped out.

Spoiler: Page 5

Spoiler: Page 9

It's kind of dark, it's rather bloody, and it's really funny. Check it out!
  • edited December 2016
    Amazon is having a big sale on the digital versions of Marvel trades. I picked up the first couple volumes of Hawkeye, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel and this year's Vision series. All have been good so far. The Vision series is amazing. Anybody got any other Marvel recommendations?
  • Haha those were posted in 2015 but I have like 2 chapters to catch up in Stand still and stay silent. It is one of the most beautifully drawn webcomics I have ever read and the story and characters compliment the style as well. Also The Last Halloween is amazing. If you like these you probably will like Wilde Life, well illustrated and good characters. My being able to keep up with alot of my favorite webcomics would not be possible without Comic Chameleon. One of the 2 apps I actually use on my phone anymore.
  • edited January 12
    Oh yeah, Wilde Life is great.

First it was meeting the ghost of a 1940s mathematician in the upstairs hallway, then it was finding a teenage werewolf in the bathtub. Now Oscar doesn't know what will show up next. Maybe that's okay, as long as nothing eats him.

Wilde Life is a supernatural adventure/horror series set in a small town in rural Oklahoma. It focuses on stories about creatures from Native American mythology as witnessed and documented by a journalist from Chicago, Illinois.

Extra Ordinary is cute fluff starring Li, Jordan, and their cat Shoelace. Good stuff.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, Li is both Dave and Graz. I mean, look at this portrait of Graz.

Extra Ordinarily realistic.

EDIT: Whoops, hotlinking fail. Added direct links.
  • "Wilde Life is actually just the story of one man giving jackets to all the mystical inhabitants of Oklahoma."

A comment on the latest page.
  • edited April 19
    Kill Six Billion Demons is a treat, and I do not currently have the time to write up a proper post for it. But! Be sure to check out the alt-text and the posts below the actual comic for lore, proverbs and wisdom.

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/kill-six-billion-demons-chapter-1/

YISUN is, in short, God: the all-and-nothing.
    K6BD said:

YISUN sat once with his disciple Hansa in YISUN’s second clockwise glass palace. Hansa was one of his most ardent students and a grand questioner of YISUN. Unlike Yisun’s other disciple, Pree Ashma, he had no hunger in his heart for dominion of the universe, but a miserly scrutiny and a heart of iron nails. He was not an aspirant for royalty, and thereby attained it through little effort.

Hansa’s questions were thus:

‘Lord, how must I question space?’

‘With an age, an ant may encircle a giant five million times,’ spoke YISUN.

‘Lord, how then may I question time?’

‘A giant’s stride of a moment takes an ant a week to surpass.’ YISUN spoke and smiled in the 4th way.

Hansa was discontent with this answer and rubbed the stem of his long and worn pipe which he always kept with him and would eventually lead to his annihilation. Since he was royalty, he knew this, and kept it close to him as a reminder of his circular death.

‘Lord, then which should I be, the giant or the ant?’

‘Both,’ spoke YISUN,’ or either, when it suits you. Destroy the grand enemy called ‘I’.’

Hansa contemplated this in silence. Later he would recount this proverb to his daughter.

• edited April 26
    Dead tube is probably the most fun I have had reading a manga since kamisama no iiutori.
  • edited April 26
    Edit: IT'S ALL GOOD.

Weeee don't really post links to pirate sites around these parts. Also at least one banner ad had a nsfw image on it.
  • Dead tube is probably the most fun I have had reading a manga since kamisama no iiutori.

It's a monthly reminder that I contain a dark side.
  • I mentioned the webcomic Brain Child a while back, and it's recently completed its second chapter. I still think it's pretty cool! Maybe you'd like it too.

"Brainchild is a story about paranormal phenomena, bad first impressions, wide-scale conspiracies, a whole bunch of mutants, and everything else your senior year of college can possibly throw at you. It is written and drawn by Suzanne Geary."

http://brainchild.suzannegeary.com/comic/prologue-page-1/

--------
    --------
    --------
    --------

http://brainchild.suzannegeary.com/comic/prologue-page-1/