User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.

We need a comics thread

Comments

• It looks like the armor on Deathstroke's upper torso and shoulders are being inflated like a balloon so that it consumes his arms.
  • I really have no idea why they just didn't give him a variation of his Teen Titans outfit, which is considerably less blue and orange with pirate boots (or combined the two in a way that didn't look ridiculous).
  • Finished We3. I don't think I could ever make it through that book again. The images of bandit sitting there shaking and saying 'Bad Dog, bad dog' over and over again after he had to kill that hunter would be enough to make be break out in tears, not to mention how fucking depressing the fight with We4 ends. Even the image of the missing poster for Pirate written in the scribbles of two young kids made me lose it. I can't think of any other work, comic, book, or film, that has ever made me as emotional as We3.
  • I only vaguely recall We3. I remember not being happy with whatever the scientist chick did at the end of it. Maybe it's because I went into expecting the animals were going to be smarter than they were, but I don't think I ever got involved in the story. Or it might be because I'm not good at empathizing with animals.

I read through the X-Men vampire arc they did last year, I was not too fond of it. I don't know why, but vampires just seem beyond the realm of believability to me in the Marvel Universe. Also, I was not aware of this but apparently Jubilee is still a teenager.
  • And also still a vampire. Also I think she's at least a little older than she used to be; old enough to be a sorta older sister figure to X-23 while also being a peer.
  • God said:

I read through the X-Men vampire arc they did last year, I was not too fond of it. I don't know why, but vampires just seem beyond the realm of believability to me in the Marvel Universe. Also, I was not aware of this but apparently Jubilee is still a teenager.

I sorta know what you mean. I haven't read the vampire arc, only snippets of it. I can say that I'm not a fan of vampires, and not a fan of Jubilee, but I am a fan of vampire Jubilee.

And I think Rbx5 is right, she's got to be in her early twenties?
  • I can't recall it exactly, but I believe I read a line that made it seem like she is either 18 or 19.

Two other things of X-men that makes no sense to me are Storm's powers and Angel's ability to fly.
  • If Storm can control the weather, she can basically do whatever she wants. She creates an extremely localized low pressure system underneath her, that's flight right there via small-scale convection current.

As for Angel, either his metal wings are constantly flapping like a hummingbird, or he flies the same way an aircraft does. The air passing underneath his wings will create lift based on airspeed, it just takes forward velocity, which I'd imagine he creates via farting a lot.
  • I love We3. Great writing, great art, just one of my favorite short comics in the last ten years.

The "bad dog, bad dog" thing is totally heart breaking. You must be an animal abuser, God.
  • Ya, I'm super sympathetic for animals, so something like that gets me very emotional. After finished that series I had to go hug my dog and play with her for like an hour strait just to feel better.
  • GodGod
    edited January 2012

If Storm can control the weather.....

As for Angel....

I meant her powers in general. Controlling the weather doesn't make sense to me.

I remember watching Gargoyles and them explaining how they could not fly, but only glide and that made a huge impression on me. So it's been a personal peeve when ever I see any character flying when the most they should be able to do is glide.

I'm not so much of an animal abuser as I am completely apathetic to the abuse of animals. I don't get why that upsets people as much as it does. I would understand how a person would not want to see their dog, cat, gerbil, harmed. But I just don't understand the empathy humans feel towards animals that aren't theirs. There's a chance I'm just a bad person.

• Yep, you're a bad person.
  • We3 was awesome. Quitely was just the guy to bring it to life. Another animal-based comic I want to pick up is BKV's "Pride of Bagdad."
  • God said:

I meant her powers in general. Controlling the weather doesn't make sense to me.

You realize that none of the X-Men's powers make any sense, right? Like, conservation of energy, basic physics, etc.? Cyclops' eye beams are "kinetic" in that they have mass somehow aka. punch beams from the punch dimension?
  • God said:

You realize that none of the X-Men's powers make any sense, right? Like, conservation of energy, basic physics, etc.? Cyclops' eye beams are "kinetic" in that they have mass somehow aka. punch beams from the punch dimension?
    Wolverine's powers make total sense. He's Canadian. He has free healthcare.

• GodGod
    edited January 2012

You realize that none of the X-Men's powers make any sense, right??

It's just a personal thing. People having the ability to heal themselves or heal others, psychics, controlling magnetism, fire, ice.......none of that bothers me. But Storm's powers just push my ability to believe.

Dreg said:

Ws BKV's "Pride of Bagdad...."

I liked Pride, but I think that's do to the lions actually being able to talk like people and because they had like a personal history. You should definitely check that one out as soon as you can.

• Exploding giraffe head. That is all.
  • Does anyone know where to start with Wonder Woman? I figure with Batman there's the Frank Miller stuff that seems pretty significant, but I really don't know anything about the resident female superhero
  • So, DC has announced the second wave of the new 52. http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-bob-harras-new-52-second-wave-12-01-12.html

- Batman Incorporated by writer Grant Morrison and artist Chris Burnham, concluding the writer's Batman story;

- Earth 2 by writer James Robinson and artist Nicola Scott, detailing the life of the JSA as they collide "with other worlds;"

- Worlds' Finest by writer Paul Levitz and artists George Pérez and Kevin Maguire, which details the life of Earth 2 heroes Helena Wayne and Karen Starr as they are stuck on "our Earth," seemingly meaning the main New 52 Earth;

- Dial H by science fiction/fantasy novelist China Miéville and artist Mateus Santoluoco, which is a "bold new take on a cult classic about the psychological effects on an everyman who accidentally gains powers to become a hero;"

- G.I. Combat, which will have co-features: "The War that Time Forgot" by writer J.T. Krul and artist Ariel Olivetti, "The Unknown Soldier" by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray with artist Dan Panosian, and "The Haunted Tank" by writer John Arcudi and artist Scott Kolins;

- The Ravagers by writer Howard Mackie and artist Ian Churchill, which spins out of Teen Titans and Superboy.

I'm personally looking forward to Worlds' Finest, since the Huntress mini has been pretty good so far, and is laying the groundwork for the character. Also, I'm oddly excited for Earth 2, but I don't know why.
  • Does anyone know where to start with Wonder Woman? I figure with Batman there's the Frank Miller stuff that seems pretty significant, but I really don't know anything about the resident female superhero

Greg Rucka's run was reportedly pretty awesome. Of course, you could just start with the relaunched title as it's a new continuity anyway.

• edited January 2012
    Really looking forward to Batman Inc, because the first arc was awesome on a stick, and Earth 2, because the JSA is cool and James Robinson is only good when he's writing Golden Age material, Starman, Shade, or some combination thereof. Dial H might be worth a look, the author's name vaguely rings a bell. Palmiotti and Gray on Unknown Soldier sounds awesome, but I dunno if it'll be worth the whole book. Ravagers will suck. World's Finest could be good, but seems to already be unnecessarily complicating things what with Earth 2 even existing; if anyone needed more proof that this reboot was basically Geoff Johns and Jim Lee just remaking things in their preferred image, by which I mean bringing back the Silver Age wholesale and the 90s, respectively, this is it. Still, OMAC aside, we're trading mediocre to shit books for mostly good or at least interesting ones, so not a bad change-up.
  • edited January 2012
    Rbx5 said:

Really looking forward to Batman Inc, because the first arc was awesome on a stick, and Earth 2, because the JSA is cool and James Robinson is only good when he's writing Golden Age material, Starman, Shade, or some combination thereof. Dial H might be worth a look, the author's name vaguely rings a bell. Palmiotti and Gray on Unknown Soldier sounds awesome, but I dunno if it'll be worth the whole book. Ravagers will suck. World's Finest could be good, but seems to already be unnecessarily complicating things what with Earth 2 even existing; if anyone needed more proof that this reboot was basically Geoff Johns and Jim Lee just remaking things in their preferred image, by which I mean bringing back the Silver Age wholesale and the 90s, respectively, this is it. Still, OMAC aside, we're trading mediocre to shit books for mostly good or at least interesting ones, so not a bad change-up.

I think the quality improvement has a lot to do with either taking chances on new people, or giving the big guns less crossovers to work on so they can dedicate themselves to regular titles. There's very little in these new books that couldn't have taken place in the old continuity had there not been a constant stream of crossover events and a creative pool stretched far too thin.

• edited January 2012
    Dreg said:

Greg Rucka's run was reportedly pretty awesome. Of course, you could just start with the relaunched title as it's a new continuity anyway.

Thanks, I'm gonna check out Greg Rucka's, which I think is called The Hiketeia? Seems interesting
  • The Hiketeia was separate from his regular run, I think? I did like it, though. His regular run was sort of a mixture of mythology and the geopolitical intrigue of being a superhero ambassador. As I recall, the embassy chef was this minotaur guy who specialized in vegetarian cuisine.
  • Minotaur guy, eh? I'd better do more research
  • Bought a few trades today. Got 'Kingdom Come', cause I hear it is fucking amazing, and I got Marvel's 'The Infinity Gauntlet', since I've never really read any of the Thanos stories. I also have Hellblazer 'The Devil You Know' I still need to read through.
  • If you want a Thanos story, I recommend The Life and Death of Captain Marvel! Thanos wants to have sex with Death. He thinks the Grim Repear is hot.
  • I like Kingdom Come because it's pretty. One day I'll kidnap Alex Ross and keep him as my art slave. Although I've read it a few times, I don't think I'd call the story anything out of the ordinary.

I got the first volume of the new Daredevil and was pretty unimpressed by it. I know that they're kind of returning the comic to a sense of normalcy after Shadowland, but I'm a big fan of Bendis' and Brubacker's runs on Daredevil and I'd like to see something on a grander scale than what I got in this first trade.

Also apparently Matt Murdock has super smell and that is something that I've never heard of before.
  • It's not really a Thanos story but Annihilation was damned good. Infinity Gauntlet was fun but end it there, the rest if the Infinity series' weren't all that great.
  • Annihilation and all of modern Cosmic Marvel are highly recommended. Also, the art is basically the only truly great thing in Kingdom Come, which I enjoyed the first few times I read it, but time and commentary by others has basically revealed it to me as the ur-Silver Age fanwank that just so also happens to be two angry old guys shaking their fists at the young folks to get the hell of their lawns. Both Waid and Ross have done better. Still a good read nonetheless. And enjoy Ennis Hellblazer while it lasts, because that's probably the best Hellblazer there is (not to rag on later authors, but he really set the bar high).

Picked up Peter Milligan's X-Force the other day, which I've heard much praise for, so looking forward to that. And if none of you are reading Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery, you should be. Actually, basically everything he's writing for Marvel is fantastic.
  • I liked X-Force/X-Statix a lot! Also Peter David's Captain Marvel from the early 2000s was super fun if you like the modern Marvel cosmic stuff.
  • Unfortunately the collection my library network had was only the X-Force issues, as opposed to the more comprehensive X-Force/X-Statix/assorted miniseries and one-shots omnibus they released later, so I'll have to see about getting my hands on that. And I'll read pretty much anything written by Peter David (love that man's Star Trek novels), so I'll see if I can track that down. Speaking of X-omnibi, I really hope they give his X-Factor a similar treatment at some point, because the sheer number of trades I'd have to get to read it all is absurd.
  • Was the Ms. Marvel series any good? Comixology has issues 1-17 (don't know if that is the whole series) and 1-8 of House of M. for $.99 each.
  • edited February 2012
    I liked the modern Ms. Marvel series for a while. It kind of turned into shit around issue 25 or so where they like psychically raped her AGAIN and split her into two people and this kind of horseshit, but before that I thought it was enjoyable. Fun, humorous stuff.

The '70s one has a rocky beginning but once Claremont takes over it's '70s awesome until the end, when it crashes directly into a brick wall. I do love the ridiculous "man from the '70s writes a feminist!" bent to the original, though. Ms. Marvel beats the shit out of construction workers who whistle at her and so on.

It's also exciting how her therapist/boyfriend gets fridged, like a woman would in a comic with a male protagonist.
  • kaazuwulf said:

Bought a few trades today. Got 'Kingdom Come', cause I hear it is fucking amazing, and I got Marvel's 'The Infinity Gauntlet', since I've never really read any of the Thanos stories. I also have Hellblazer 'The Devil You Know' I still need to read through.

Good man, I think this are the first things mentioned in the thread that I've read. I pretty much will read anything with Thanos or drawn by Alex Ross, if only he wasn't tied to DC those things could come together.
  • The only format I can find those old Ms Marvel comics is in the Black and White Marvel Essential version.
  • I think that IS the only reprint of them.
  • God said:

Also apparently Matt Murdock has super smell and that is something that I've never heard of before.

It comes up every so often in his books, but it is one of his most underused powers. However, if you think about it, it makes total sense because all of his senses are heightened. I mean, that's his schtick.
  • Rbx5 said:

Also, the art is basically the only truly great thing in Kingdom Come, which I enjoyed the first few times I read it, but time and commentary by others has basically revealed it to me as the ur-Silver Age fanwank that just so also happens to be two angry old guys shaking their fists at the young folks to get the hell of their lawns.

I re-read it recently, and while I didn't find it as earth-shatteringly epic as I did when I was a young teenager, I still think it was really, really good.

I have to disagree that it's a complete ur-Silver Age fanwank. There's certainly the theme that the new generation of superheroes are lesser, and lack the responsibility of the Silver Age heroes. But what really stuck with me was how you're really shown how each of those older heroes has lost his or her way: Green Lantern, Flash, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and obviously, The Spectre.
  • That's true, and I do still like it, but it leaves a more bitter aftertaste than it used to, basically.
  • A reader's reaction to Kingdom Come depends a lot on how much they knew of DC history before reading the book. If you kinda knew who the Justice League was, then KC was cool. If you had been a regular comics reader since forever, then KC wasn't anything really new; it seemed like the same old "tired heroes" story we'd read like a thousand times.
  • Picked up some Daken/X-23 trade (Collision), despite the fact that Daken aka Wolverine's angsty son never interested me very much. I do like the direction Marjorie Liu took X-23 in, and the art in that sadly cancelled title was gorgeous as well. In any case, there's a pretty dark story in there with Wolverine's two "children" teaming up/trying to kill each other. They provide a pretty good counterpoint to one another: both have suffered some pretty horrific abuse, but X-23 is sort of set on her path of redemption due to meeting friends who changed her perspective, and Daken having turned to a criminal kingpin, having experienced no such intervention. The tale that follows is pretty gory, but not gratuitous. X-23 faces revulsion in having to compare the killing machine she is to the person she'd like to be; Daken questions whether or not he is worse off for not having a conscience about the things he does. The thing I liked best about this is it didn't result in the usual cheap ending where the "good cop" in the team-up talks the "bad cop" in the team-up out of killing the supervillain. Any discussion of morality happens within the context of the fact that they're both pretty nasty assassins, and the people they're tracking down can't be turned in to the authorities.

I can't really say whether or not I'd recommend this: I have a pretty big bias towards stories about people who live in the shadow of A-list heroes, Robin/Red Robin/Batgirl/Spoiler stories are up my alley, for instance. In any case, I'm definitely sad X-23 was cancelled... urban fantasy is firmly in Marjorie Liu's wheelhouse, and it was an interesting book in the lineup.
  • I jumped on the series with issue 17, and from the four or so issues I've read I love it (And Takeda's art is just gorgeous). I've had my eye on this story for awhile, but intend to pick up the whole series in trades and read 'em in order, glad I'm not the only one who likes this series and is sad to see it go. X-23's really grown on me the more I've read of her; she's probably one of my favorite Marvel characters now. Speaking of Batgirl though, have you read the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series Spanky? Minus the terrible Adam Beechen stories?
  • Yea, I read the whole thing, I liked it a lot before the Beechen stuff at the end sort of ruined it. It wasn't just interesting to see Cass grow from this oddball into a member of the team to a member of the Bat-family. It also brought out really interesting dynamics in Batman vs. Oracle essentially arguing as surrogate parents that I must have talked about at some point. But yeah, that story really went off the rails when it started to be about if Cass's power level was over 9000, or when she had to fight Nora Fries resurrected as a sludge zombie.

When I find a male superhero I like, everything's fine. When I find a female superhero I like, I wonder how long it'll be before they're killed off or their book is cancelled, regardless of quality/sales.
  • Yeah, I feel that. Still, they managed to resuscitate Cass between Bryan Miller's Stephanie Brown Batgirl series and Fabian Nicieza's Red Robin series, which I've heard were both pretty good, so I'm gonna have to check those out. And in X-23's case she's joined the cast of Avengers Academy, which is one of the best books Marvel's got going now, so things could have been worse.
  • Hunh, I need to check out Avengers Academy, then. I was a fan of both Miller and Nicieza's runs on those books. There was an exchange between Tim and Steph that made me laugh out loud, just because it was a couple of petty insults between ex-es, just interspersed in a conversation about thwarting supervillains.
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah, Academy is really good; Christos Gage is a great writer and knows his way around teenage protagonists in a way I feel a lot of other writers don't. I will read anything Nicieza does, and definitely would've checked out Red Robin sooner had I known he was writing it, so that's moved to the top of my list. I never was very interested in Steph until I read her last appearance in Batman Inc, and now I'd like to see more of her; Morrison exceeded my expectations there, such as they were.
  • Wait, Christos Gage is writing it? Fucking sold. G.I. Joe: Cobra by him and Costa was so good, I'll give anything by him a chance.