Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

User registration set back to admin approval because of spam. Email with your user name to be approved.
We need a comics thread
  • Squirrel said:

The Wolverine thing... He spends an entire story arc hunting down a magic sword designed to kill those with regenerative powers. Or something stupid like that.

Now the only one left to kill...
  • I got issue #2 of the new IDW Ninja Turtles book last weekend (again with the color Kevin Eastman cover) and it was pretty good! I'm adjusting to the new origin okay. I still wish Casey Jones was just a guy addicted to crime TV and movies like he was in the '80s comics, but this could work. The first thing he does after Raph
    Spoiler:
    saves him from his drunken abusive dad
    is to put on his hockey mask! I approve.

I'm really happy the fucking Foot ninja showed up. Yay! I also feel like they have all the main characters voices right, which makes sense with Eastman on board. My only disappointment is no more Krang! I'm dying to find out what his deal is!
  • I got the Batman: Year One movie and it was pretty good. It's probably the closest page to page adaptation that the DC animated movies have done. The only real complaint is that Batman's voice actor was a bit weak. The fight and action scenes were especially well animated.

I'm pretty excited about Justice League: Doom

• Doom could be good. They've got the voice talent I look for, plus its based on Tower of Babel (a pretty beloved storyline). And the DC movies have generally been pretty good; I even liked Emerald Knights, and I hate Green Lantern.
  • I decided to try out these new fangled digital comics on my tablet. I used the Comixoligy program (are there other ones? i don't know) and if the price point was even $.50 then physical comics, I would switch in a heartbeat. I bought the new Wolverine & The X-men. What are the main differences between the physical and digital comics? 1) the digital had no adds and 2) while you can view the comic as whole pages, but the program also has a mode that zooms in on the individual panels and it goes through all the panels in order, so you never really see the whole page unless it is meant to be viewed that way (when you have 1-2 page panels or a series of interconnected panels). This made the comic flow so much better then paper comics normally do. If you have a tablet, I would recommend checking it out.
  • Yeah, I use Comixology for single issues I want to buy... stuff I want to read, but don't really need to put on my bookshelf in trade paperback form (I don't want longboxes). The guided view thing is pretty cool. I'm getting an iPhone sometime soon, so I'll see if it works there.

Otherwise, I just buy trades since I may not get a tablet for a while, plus I lend out comics quite a bit to friends. Still, it's let me pick up single issues out of crossovers and such I've liked, plus there are Marvel sales every Monday. I've also been led to try things I wouldn't otherwise, like a comic called Daomu, which is apparently Chinese or Chinese-American?
  • Loved the new Wolverine and the X-Men. Takes Wolvie out of his element and puts him back on the road to redemption he was on before he went hyper-murderous in recent runs. I also enjoy the fact that it will give some neglected characters, including Kitty Pryde, Toad, Ice Man, Rachel Summers, Gambit, and Quentin Qyre some time to shine.
  • I love the whole Wolverine Vs. New York State Board of Education. I think they got a nice team that isn't super overpowered. I didn't read X-Men: Regenesis, so I don't know who all is on what team.
  • kaazuwulf said:

I love the whole Wolverine Vs. New York State Board of Education. I think they got a nice team that isn't super overpowered. I didn't read X-Men: Regenesis, so I don't know who all is on what team.

There's a nice diagram at the end of the first issue that not only lists who's in the school, but what position they occupy and what classes they teach.
  • Well, after reading such favorable reviews of Wolvie and the Sniktbubs I decided to pick it up along with the rest of my titles today, so I'll look forward to reading it. Hopefully the other X-titles will have similar levels of quality.
  • I think I'm sold on comixology. It seems that after the comic has been out for a month the price drops to $1.99, which is much better then 2.99-3.99. I don't know how it works, but I can buy it on comixology through my LCS's digital store, so they still get so money from it. I think. I'll still keep a few of the series I absolutely love and don't want to wait a month for, such as Spider-Man or Uncanny X-Force, but most everything else I can easily wait for.
  • Finished Spider-Island. I think this is a far better way to do an event then Fear Itself. They put it in the pages of an already ongoing series, a reasonable amount of mini's with a few cross-overs, a good pace, was over in 2-3 months, and had an ending. Compare this to Fear Itself, which dragged itself over 7 months with, put what should have been 3-4 issues worth of material to 7 longer then normal issues, probably over 100 issues of minis & crossovers, and still has a shit load of additional material for the epilogue (three .1 issues and a 12 issue weekly series).
  • I was just thinking that about Spider Island. But then Spider-Man has been pretty amazingly good for a while now (I'd say since the start of The Gauntlet), and I'm finding it hard to not adore every issue of Amazing.

I think part of Spider Island working was that Amazing is bi-monthly, so they could get a 6 issue corebook out in 3 months. Keeping the mini's at the monthly schedule, they could be a bit more free with the arcs they followed. I mean, jesus, I'm kicking myself for not picking up Venom since he seemed to be pretty central by the end there.

Plus I've heard Venom is amazing now (I only read the first couple issues and forgot about it)
  • ya, I think it was a combo of the bi-monthly and having a great pace. I think Fear Itself could have worked if it was more focused as an avengers event and split between the Avengers books, then you would have had what? 6-9 issues to tell the main story over 2-3 months with a few tie-ins. I would have been fine with that. Also not have Fraction write it at his normal stretch 3 issues of material to a 12 issue arc pace would have been a good idea.
  • http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/10/25/ed-brubaker-prepping-film-adaptation-of-first-criminal-story/
    Has anyone read Criminal? It's been on my list of things to read. I hear Brubaker's pulp comics are his best works.
  • I have the Cloak and Dagger Spider Island miniseries to buy because I liked the first issue. Other than that, I have no idea what Spider lsland is about.

Recently, I picked up Batman: Life After Death by Tony Daniel that I liked quite a bit. It's a story with Dick Grayson under the mantle, racing around trying to fill Batman's shoes. You really get the sense that the responsibility weighs down on him, and the thing that keeps him going is the fear of not living up to the legacy he's been handed. It's also fresh that a bunch of characters and relationships that were known quantities for Batman are now unfamiliar to Dick. The story's told well, good use of framing devices to guide the reader's attention, keep the mystery, and a few twists I liked. I'll always respect genuine tension building and detective stories over cheap theatrics, like, let's say Hush removing Catwoman's heart. A few new characters are introduced that fit in really well, characters that don't feel like slapped-together additions, but genuinely detailed personas that don't see as much screen time because they're not central to the story.

There are a lot of nice touches, like the first page of each issue is the same picture to sort of set atmosphere, with an epigraph of a line of dialogue from the issue you're about to read. It's somewhere between a title card and a loading screen. An old technique to be sure, but it sets the mood and keeps the reader anticipating when that line is going to show up, loved it.
  • I read Criminal when it first came out and thought it was great. However when they announced the movie adaptation, I went back and read the first volume and found it less than stellar. The story was a bit too noir-ish for me.
  • So just read the last issue of Spider Island. Kind of good, though a bit sad since I liked that character in Peter's life (How do we do spoilers in this new forum?).

But I'm pretty excited for the new Scarlet Spider book. If it's the obvious choice from the last issue then I think it could be pretty good.

Unrelated, has anyone checked out the two core X-Men Regenesis books? I read and really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, but haven't read the (apparently pretty good) Uncanny X-Men Regenesis. I really like the consequences of Schism, even if I didn't actually care for the event.
  • Rhoe said:

So just read the last issue of Spider Island. Kind of good, though a bit sad since I liked that character in Peter's life (How do we do spoilers in this new forum?).

Ya, but with the way the issue before that ended it was only a matter of time before that happened.

Rhoe said:

But I'm pretty excited for the new Scarlet Spider book. If it's the obvious choice from the last issue then I think it could be pretty good.

You know, I was really hoping it was going to be MJ. Or maybe a Peter/MJ team-up book. I knew that she was going to get cured, but I was holding out that she would somehow be immune to the virus mutating beyond the spider-power stage.

Rhoe said:

Unrelated, has anyone checked out the two core X-Men Regenesis books? I read and really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men, but haven't read the (apparently pretty good) Uncanny X-Men Regenesis. I really like the consequences of Schism, even if I didn't actually care for the event.

They were both good, but I kinda wish wolverine's team was more focused on the X-men being a member of the larger super-hero community as a counter to Cyclops 'We have to show the world that we are the best there is, we don't need help from anyone else, and if you mess with us we will fuck your shit up' policy.
  • ^That's something I wish the X-Men had been doing for years, really. They've become so segregated from the rest of the Marvel U (Wolverine aside, of course) that when they do interact it's practically an event in and of itself.
  • I thought wolverine was going to make a point about it after Cyclops had him lie to Steve Rogers during schism. Utopia's Isolationism should have been a far large roll in the split. I would like to see mutants other then Namor and Wolverine play a part in the rest of the Marvel Universe.
  • Read issue three of IDW's Ninja Turtles book and I'm still enjoying it. It was good seeing Casey Jones and Raphael kick some ass! But I want to see some Krang already!
  • It's been quite some time since I read The Boys, so I wanted to give it another. It's still just as horrible as I remember, in terms of content this comic is filled with. The volume was just filled with murder, rape, child molestation, child murder.....it's just a tough thing to read. I don't know how Garth Ennis comes up with this stuff.
  • It's a shame, since Garth Ennis is a legitimately great writer, yet he wastes so much time on "shock", juvenile bullshit.
  • It's hard to believe that this is the same guy who had Judge Dredd go to Ireland and fight terrorists who shot potatoes at him.
  • Rbx5 said:

It's a shame, since Garth Ennis is a legitimately great writer, yet he wastes so much time on "shock", juvenile bullshit.

To be fair, his juvenile bullshit is responsible for the greatest Go Fuck Yourself in the history of history.
  • ^There are a lot of those, but I'm guessing you mean the Hellblazer one, in which case I'm inclined to agree.
  • I meant the one in the first few issues of Preacher.
  • It's a long delayed birthday present, but this is should be arriving today.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Four-John-Byrne-Omnibus/dp/0785158243/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320755865&sr=8-1
    No news on when vol. 2 should be out, but I can't wait to read this.
  • Rbx5 said:

It's a shame, since Garth Ennis is a legitimately great writer, yet he wastes so much time on "shock", juvenile bullshit.

See, I get what you're saying, but at the same time, it's hard to seriously claim that a writer is legitimately great as long as you ignore all the garbage work he puts out.
  • Hmm, point taken. I shall change that instead to he's a writer who's done a lot of really good work, but also a lot of complete shit.
  • I think I've heard this conversation before only it was about Quentin Tarantino.
  • Garth Ennis is well known for all that overtly violent stuff that is good fun most of the time but he's got a talent for writing characters that you grow to care about ( an example I'm thinking of is Jesse & Cassidy's friendship in Preacher and how all that turned out). For a good while I was seeing that in The Boys with stuff like Butcher's raison d'etre and M.M's origin story but it sorta went crazy with the outrageous gore and "all superheroes are unrepentant fuckers" shtick, so all that relationship building material fell by the wayside bit by bit. Damn shame that.

So, anybody still reading them DC New 52s?
  • I'm enjoying Batman, Detective, Action, Teen Titans (Or Tim's Titans, as it should probably be called), Demon Knights, Aquaman, Red Hood, Voodoo and Stormwatch.

Aquaman is just a lot of fun. Demon Knights is cool. Batman and Detective, no surprises there.

Action Comics was delivering on its "not boring establishment godlike superman" for the first two issues, but with this alien invasion I feel its just gonna end up the old boring Superman I hate.

Teen Titans is veering towards remaking Young Justice, which I have no problem with - I particularly enjoy Wonder Girl actually being a likable character instead of an irritating little girl. Voodoo is working as a nice little horror comic. Red Hood is fun, although I wish Starfire just wasn't in it - I really like the premise, as well as Roy and Jason's characters. Stormwatch has been disappointing, but I gotta stick with it just in case they deliver some of that classic Authority vibe.
  • We used to just replace most of the words in any creative property with Batman when the Nolan movie came out. "You're seriously going to see League of Extraordinary Batmans in theaters, dude?" or "Check out the new Batmanstar Batmanica episode, Lucy Lawless is in it"
  • Hey I finally got around to reading The Sandman (Gaiman's, obviously).

Goddamn its good sometimes. But the good and mediocre are kind of randomly dispersed. I thought at first it was the issues that didn't feature Dream that were crap, but there are some great ones (Vitally, the dream of Cats) that have him in for a few pages at most and are amazing while ones where he is the main character (who gets the key to hell) were pretty dull.

I've just got up to Marco Polo, and I don't know if its worth reading. The problem is he's so in love with continuity I don't want to miss something great down the line if I skip it.
  • http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35857
    X-men vs. Avengers makes sense, given the ultra-isolationism that utopia seems to have and cyclops insistence on being the most powerful team in the marvel universe. This would be a better idea if they waited another 2-3 years and had the new york mutants more involved with the rest of the marvel universe while the utopian mutants become even more Mutants are the superior race.
  • The thing that gets me about Sandman is one of my favorite comic artists, Sam Kieth, does the WORST work I have ever seen him do in Sandman. What the hell? :(
  • I read Aquaman #1-4 from the DC relaunch (via storytime on 4chan). Liked it so much I bought it digitally.

Story's great, he's just a superhero who's this down-to-earth guy trying to do the right thing and make a living, despite everyone thinking he's a loser. Johns really makes it work by letting you get inside his head and making him genuinely sympathetic and relatable, all the while poking fun at the reputation Aquaman has, both in-universe and in the real world. The art is great, and there's plenty of badassery with Aquaman and Mera kicking the asses of Deep Ones style fish monsters from the abyss. I've long thought Aquaman was a wasted opportunity, and finally this story is exactly what I think a solid cape comic should be.

For the record, I'm solidly in the camp of "there are no cool/boring characters, just good/bad writers."
  • Welp, looks like I have another title I'll have to add to my pull list. Also, seconding the "no bad characters, only bad writers" sentiment; a good majority of Grant Morrison's career is testament to that.
  • Yup. Peter David's as well, like his excellent hardboiled detective story take on Multiple Man with Madrox: Multiple Choice.
  • Anyone read Fatale yet? I have had nothing but good experiences with Brubaker's none mainstream marvel projects. I've been debating whether to buy it when the issues are $1.99 on Comixology or to wait for the trade. This cover has already sold me on the entire series.

• I read Aquaman #1-4 from the DC relaunch (via storytime on 4chan). Liked it so much I bought it digitally.

Story's great, he's just a superhero who's this down-to-earth guy trying to do the right thing and make a living, despite everyone thinking he's a loser. Johns really makes it work by letting you get inside his head and making him genuinely sympathetic and relatable, all the while poking fun at the reputation Aquaman has, both in-universe and in the real world. The art is great, and there's plenty of badassery with Aquaman and Mera kicking the asses of Deep Ones style fish monsters from the abyss. I've long thought Aquaman was a wasted opportunity, and finally this story is exactly what I think a solid cape comic should be.

For the record, I'm solidly in the camp of "there are no cool/boring characters, just good/bad writers."

The new Aquaman is definately the surprise hit in the relaunch, I'm loving it too. Anyone catch the new Stormwatch? Also is anyone here going to pick up the new IDW Transformers titles this month?

• I'd never heard of Fatale before, but I will definitely be picking it up when it comes out in trade. I don't know what the story is about and will not try to find out, but if it's not about Lovecraftian monsters or aliens being mobsters in 1930s Chicago, I will be very disappointed.

I bought issue one of Stormwatch for collection purposes, and it kind of interested me. From what I've read and heard about it so far, it seems to be kind of on the cusp of being good but never reaching that point. I absolutely loved The Authority and I guess a kind of watered down version is better than nothing. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out myself when the trade comes. I just hope they change Midnighters costume soon though. I don't know how anyone at DC let that bad S&M costume happen.

I read a trade a while ago called Daytripper and loved it. It follows a struggling novelist, who has relegated his career to writing obituaries. Each chapter is a period in his life and each chapter ends in his death. It sounds like a odd way to tell a story, but with each chapter you really become engrossed in the main character's life.

I also read this story called The Homeland Directive. It's a pretty standard political/action thriller story, but the highpoint for me was the art. I'm very much against any art direction in a comic that goes against the norms of most comics. But for this story, I absolutely loved its unique visionary style. You can preview it on Amazon
  • Reading We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. I just finished issue 2 and god damn is this a depressing series. I kinda don't want to read the last issue because I know there is really only one way this story can end.
  • http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/13/rob-liefeld-deathrstroke-hawkman-grifter/

We have officially entered not only the inevitable wave of 90s nostalgia that shall soon overtake pop culture at large in the wake of the receding wave of 80s nostalgia (and there is arguably no worse a place for this to happen than comics), but also the realm of oblivious self-parody. Also Deathstroke's Jim Lee costume is utterly retarded, and somehow manages to be even sillier than his old one.
  • That man still needs anatomy lessons.