User registration set to invite-only because of spam. Email forums-at-daveandjoel.com for an invite.

What Are You Watching / Listening Right Now ?

Comments

• I just finished watching most of the Bakemonogatari series and it was seriously one of the best anime stories I have watched in a long time. Honestly I got the idea to get the series to watch after playing a Pachinko machine in Japan. I hit a jackpot and over the next 40 minutes of flashing lights and other crazy pachinko bullshit was happening a full episode also played. That peaked my interest and I actually watched the series. It was one of my best time to enjoyment of anime I have had in awhile.

I ALSO fell into that sexy Gintama hole and that I think has brought back my resurgence into watching anime again. Very rarely has an anime had me consistently laughing. I recently decided to watch all of One Piece and get caught up with that as well. (the end of Don Flamingo Arc somewhat killed my enthusiasm for the show (I fucking loooooved Don Flamingo)). Gintama characters are almost all charming in there own way and has revitalized my passion for anime in a big way.

Also last night I wrapped up watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I got in on a whim from some random anime list I was reading. It was startling and not what I was expecting. This is probably on the top of the list of one I would want Dave and Joel to do a few pods on. Great take on the magical girl trope and the final episode battle is fuckkkking fantasticccc.
  • The donflamingo arc was a very long drag but I was very very happy to see his dumb face get punched a couple of times. Also it had Admiral Zatoichi. But if you let it slip for a couple weeks you should catch up again. The new inbetween arc is pretty great so far.
  • Does it have Sanji in it? I miss the hell out of that dude. Hard Boiled guy was alright, but Sanji is my character soul mate.
  • Sanji is in it for a couple episodes. But I think the next arc is going to be a Sanji focused arc.
  • The new Netflix show The OA has a character who is a trans man who is atcually played by a trans man
  • Damn Exagenous that song is really good.
  • edited December 2016

Let me post something worse, but I have been obsessed with Jarren and Logic for the past couple of months.
  • Rogue One was exactly what I expected
  • I liked Rogue One, though it did feel like a highlight reel for something longer. The first half especially jumps around a whole lot, aside from literally, by showing us ten planets in as many minutes. And it's another one of those get the squad together movies, and they're really only together for a few minutes before they ride off to the climactic sequence. And the main character Jyn's journey felt a little convoluted/anti-protagonist -- she was kind of yanked along, confusingly, not unlike Matt Damon in Elysium (which also had Diego Luna).

I liked Diego Luna and I kind of liked the Asian bromance. All the scenes between Mads Mikkelson and Ben Mendehlson were pretty electric. The creatures and scifi things were great -- major improvement over The Force Awakens, which was so barren. Rogue One feels like an actual factual science-fiction.

The last parts made me think this is a better version of Halo Reach (everyone dies in a baton pass), but they still didn't quite nail it. Jyn needed to be an actual character, and like Paul had said on Twitter, there needed to be, like, a theme. Most movies have that
  • edited December 2016
    When I left the theater I was also telling my wife how much it reminded me of Reach also.

Although, I find it really funny that this whole movie was created to try to address that long running joke about blowing up the Death Star so easily.
  • My biggest disappoint in the movie was how tacked on Vader seemed. That first scene just seemed so phoned in.
  • I appreciated the Darth Vader pun

• RIP George Michael
  • The Man in the High Castle is worth it for the season 2 finale alone. (Don't just watch that of course. You have to go in order like with any such series.)
  • I was just thinking about that show literally just now. I only saw the pilot, and thought it was okay, and then read the first article about it that had me reevaluating. In transition from book (pretty good book) to the medium of television, it seemed like they were going kind of soft on Nazis and Imperial Japanese, because all TV characters have to be multilayered and conflicted?

Hopefully they've shook that -- y/n
  • That's the show the wife and I have been watching for the last couple of weeks. It has its really slow moments but overall it's a pretty solid show.
  • I never read the book. I would not say, "they were going kind of soft on Nazis and Imperial Japanese."

• It's one of those days/weeks/months/years.
  • Whenever someone deigns to make a fan mix of my book that's the ending theme just sayin :<

• Wish I had a computer to play part IV :'(
  • @Dave That's a good pick. I feel Molly would either really like or really hate that song.

• Never not in a Jeff Rosenstock mood.
  • Nichijou is getting a reprint.
  • BTW if anyone wasn't aware AC is back ya'll. Come to dunk on Shaq one last time.
  • Get Out is a great fucking movie.
  • Get out, really?
  • Jordan Peele managed a near perfect balance of humor, suspense, and social commentary.
  • Been looking forward to that one. Good to hear! I will hold everything you just said as a test of your judgement when I go see it.

• I just started this episode of the Crate and Crowbar, "Episode 177: The Unending Terror of Flavourtown," and I'm very curious to hear how they came about that episode title.
    Published on Feb 24, 2017

Chris is joined by special guests Alex Wiltshire and John Roberts to discuss Sniper Elite 4, Night In The Woods, Killing Floor: Incursion, and flavourtown. www.crateandcrowbar.com

Also, last night I listened to the second episode of the Idle Thumbs Network's new show, Important If True: "Fight Garbage With Garbage". If you happened to enjoy the podcast Fast Karate for the Gentleman, you may enjoy this show as well!
    Published on Feb 23, 2017

Watch more, or subscribe to the podcast at http://importantiftrue.com

The great mysteries of our time lie before us, hovering tantalizingly out of reach, so instead we set our sights on the achievable. This week: What happens when flame robots battle garbage? Where's the intersection of George Michael and Matlock? And who brought Jaws to the friendly, rustic murder capital of the world? You may think these questions unanswerable, or barely questions at all. Friend, you may be right—but we'll do our best to pull them apart and see what truths they reveal.

• New Mass of Fermenting Dregs fuckin' GOES.

• "Set in an alternate present-day where humans, orcs, elves, and fairies have been co-existing since the beginning of time. Bright is genre-bending action movie that follows two cops from very different backgrounds. Ward (Will Smith) and Jakoby (Joel Edgerton), embark on a routine patrol night and encounter a darkness that will ultimately alter the future and their world as they know it. "

Coming in December

• maybe I like Daft Punk because I like french house music?
  • So I watched When Marnie Was There last night. I think it is the worst of the Studio Ghibli films I have seen. Spirited away is in close competition though.

Also watched the Boy and the Beast. That was weird, but enjoyable. I thought him going back to the human world to learn from a stranger was out of nowhere. None of the characters particularly stick out. I enjoyed it regardless especially on the tail end of Marnie.
  • My daughter says Marnie is tied for first place as her favorite Ghibli movie. I thought it looked gorgeous but I also saw the ending coming a mile away so it didn't do much for me.